105mm Pack Howitzer

Ok folks,

a question, does anybody know of any 105mm Pack Howitzers in private ownership? I know Helston Gunsmiths had one for sale last year.

Also, are there any 105mm light guns in private ownership

All the best

Mark :cool:

Edited by chevpol

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There does'nt seem to be many 105mm L5's in private hands and Helston guns do have the monopoly on the spares ( if you can afford there prices ).

Attached is a pic of the my L5 which I have restored for my collection,when I aquired the gun it was about 60% complete so I approached helston guns for the parts which they supplied at a cost!

The history of my L5 stems back to 1964 where it was used by the airborne Gunners in Borneo.

I have also been looking for an L118 105mm Light gun for some time but non seem to be available to the collectors market partly to the fact they have been given extended service by updating the GPS systems.

Hopefuly someday there may be a few airdroped or damaged one's filter into the system.

Rob.......................................rnixartillery collection

DSCF0790.jpg

I have also been looking for an L118 105mm Light gun for some time but non seem to be available to the collectors market.

Rob.......................................rnixartillery collection

I'm also looking for an L118, have any ever been released ?

Phil

The only way I could complete a deal for my L5 was to purchase a restored WD royal enfield bike to trade,The bike I bought cost me £2300.

The price for the missing parts was somewhat more.

pic of the L5 on arrival.

As far as I am aware there has been no L118's or 119's released but you never quite know what is out there,I have collected some gun parts but constantly following leads to find a gun.

I have been told by a member of BAE staff that due to the overwhelming use of the guns in the middle east that ALL available guns including test beds have been recalled for further use.

Rob..........................rnixartillery

Picture 210.jpg

Mark , I think valuing an L5 is quite difficult although it is a post war artillery piece it has a lot going for it.

It is a very compact gun and takes up little storage space,relatively easy to move and add that to the fact there were not that many in British service,in my view makes it quite a desirable piece.

As for value,how much did Helstons sell for ?

Rob.....................................rnixartillery

The gun I have is the only one I have ever seen for sale,And my one came from Ireland.

The other thing you need to remember is that these guns are still in active service with several nations throughout the world so many of the ex british guns were probably sold off abroad.

I wish you luck.

Rob........................rnixartillery

I emailed Helstons earlier this year, got no reply!!!!

Do you know of any up for sale? I would like one, but would have to go the same way as you I think, get a partially restored one and work from there!!

Mark

I, have a contact at Helstons & the qoute I got was £23,000.

This is because the gun is still current equipment with some foreign armies.

M.O.D sales has got to be the biggest rip-off in any sales area!

Get your actual manufacturing cost, put on a 20% profit & then TREBLE the figures!

I manufactured .50" Cal Brownings & GPMGS for a company for 11 years.

It was an ENERMOUS eye opener, I can tell you!

Buying guns in LIVE that are obsolete is cheap if they are old surplus.

Buying current stuff costs a bit more!......:coffee:

Mike

I, have a contact at Helstons & the qoute I got was £23,000.

This is because the gun is still current equipment with some foreign armies.

M.O.D sales has got to be the biggest rip-off in any sales area!

Get your actual manufacturing cost, put on a 20% profit & then TREBLE the figures!

I manufactured .50" Cal Brownings & GPMGS for a company for 11 years.

It was an ENERMOUS eye opener, I can tell you!

Buying guns in LIVE that are obsolete is cheap if they are old surplus.

Buying current stuff costs a bit more!......:coffee:

Mike

:wow::wow::wow::wow:

a rethink me thinks!!!!!!

Mark :(

• 4 weeks later...
Apart from which, if you want to display the pack-howitzer in the "pack" role, you're going to have to find about 9 mules from somewhere, Mark!

The other major drawback for the pack How, is, if you read the handbook (I have one) you may only tow it for 20 Miles MAXIMUM! (Stated clearly in the book)

Why, I have no idea, I would have thought that the wheel bearings were up to the job of further milage!

The Handbook shows how they were afixed to the flatbed of Bedford RL trucks for conveying to thier respective firing points.

A lot were Choppered about, slung under Helicoptors. Very quick & efficient deployment method. (Unless you were getting shot at!)

lovely gun, but with the limited milage, a major drawback I would have thought!

Mike. :coffee:

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
If you have not seen this link about surplus/abandoned 105mm pack howitzers, it may prove tantalising..

http://thedonovan.com/archives/2008/09/gunner_antizen.html

I also contacted Helston guns about the pack and they quoted me 25 000

These guns have all been destoyed now but some smaller parts did find there way back !!!!!!!

Rob..................rnixartillery collection.

These guns have all been destoyed now but some smaller parts did find there way back !!!!!!!

Rob..................rnixartillery collection.

Oh what a waste!

I showed the pic of your 105 to my wife and said it isn't it beautifull? she gave me a very funny look (she's a psychologist). also your rapier is mint. Do you have the blindfire bit as well?

Dave,

My miss'es is the same ,she can't quite see the beauty in any of my Artillery pieces,she thinks its all scrap.......................beats collecting stamps though !

Yes I do have the blindfire trailer and loads of other crap that goes with it but I have not restored it yet.

Cheers

Rob..........................rnixartillery.