My 2009 Season in Pictures

As I have done in previous seasons, here's a selection of my favourite pictures, one or two from each of the events I've been to this year.

It started out not with an event, but just a photo opportunity after a heavy snowfall mid February

snow3.jpg

A couple of weeks later, we had a photo shoot at the NE Aircraft Museum with some of the local re-enactors.

Here's Lynne and Julie

neamfeb3.jpg

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

On March 8th, we went to support an open day at 'King and Country', a company who make collectable military figures and vehicles from several eras of history.

king1.jpg

The rest of March was quiet, and it wasn't until April 5th that we had a road run event, starting at Croft Circuit. The run was around 50 miles around the Durham and Tees Valley area. Part of the run passed over 'Spitfire Bridge', actually Winston Bridge that Ray Hanna flew his Spitfire under for the TV series 'Piece of Cake'.

croft5.jpg

A short video of parts of the run can be seen here.

Mid April saw three of the locals head down to York for their Crank Up event at York Castle. It was a long trip but a great turn out of just over 60 vehicles, and great weather too.

There's also a video Lynne took during the drive and of everyone arriving at the Castle -

york1.jpg

york6.jpg

D-Day saw Bodge and myself at Debach Airfield, home of the 493rd Bomb Group. While there we met up with Adrian who regularly takes his Sherman there.

debach8.jpg

debach13.jpg

Adrian was kind enough to give Bodge and myself a ride around the airfield in the Sherman, a video of which can be seen here -

Bodge and I were also practicing our X Factor entry -

debach7.jpg

Another week later, and we made the three hour drive over to Ingleton for the 'Operation Homeguard' weekend. Upon arrival, we sat in the Jeep 90 minutes waiting for the rain to stop before we could set up the tent. Fortunately the rest of the weekend was fine other than one heavy shower in Sunday.

ingleton3.jpg

The Battle of Britain Flight made three visits over the weekend, once with their DC-3 and twice with a PR Spitfire.

ingleton13.jpg

ingleton12.jpg

Sunday's parade was caught on video by Lynne -

- Bodges dad can be seen getting a lift from my Jeep. After the parade, we went on a road run to Ribblehead Viaduct.

ingleton19.jpg

Possibly the highlight of the year was the Breighton Airfield Event. Bodge missed this one as he had just broken another car. Maurice Hammond and friends flew in on Sunday with four of his vintage aircraft, including his two P-51 Mustangs.

p51a2.jpg

Over the weekend, I was able to use my Jeep as a real 'Follow Me' vehicle, leading the Mustangs to their dispersals. We couldn't get too close ( dreaded Health and Safety ) -

p51a2.jpg

p51a8.jpg

p51b4.jpg

p51b8.jpg

A couple of weeks later on July 25th, we attended Bishop Auckland's Nostalgia Day, an annual charity fund raiser. We did a convoy twice around the town before parking up for the day.

Prior to the convoy....

bishop1.jpg

and a few of the vehicles parked up in the main shopping street.

bishop6.jpg

Two weeks later was once again hot and sunny for the Durham Market Place Nostalgia Day. The Fenner Sisters provided some live entertainment, and there was also a wedding, which had much larger crowds than expected due to our presence! I met a guy who had been stationed out in India on an airfield, who had seen the base Follow Me Jeep in action; the only person I've met who has seen on in use for real during the war.

durham1.jpg

durham5.jpg

At the start of September, we were at Blyth Battery. Blyth Battery reopened earlier in 2009 after an extensive restoration. Around a dozen vehicles turned up along with re-enactors for the open weekend to mark the completion of the restoration. A US veteran from the 225th Anit-Aircraft Artillery Searchlight Battalion unveiled a plaque to his unit, who were based there from March 1944 until May '44, when they left for D-Day, arriving on Omaha later in June.

blyth1.jpg

blyth6.jpg

blyth4.jpg

A week later I went down to RAF Leeming for their Families Day. What a great day, plus several flying displays by RAF aircraft, including the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight. After their display, the BBMF landed to refuel, giving me another great photo opportunity.

leeming15.jpg

leeming1.jpg

lancaster12.jpg

leeming5.jpg

Middleton St George, September 19th. This was the first display hosted by the Durham & Tees Valley MVT Area at the Middleton St George Cricket club, not far from the wartime airfield, now Durham & Tees Valley Airport. Ten vehicles attended, the majority of which were from the DTV group.

msg3.jpg

msg7.jpg

msg1.jpg

Probably the last event for me this year was the Aycliffe 'Help for Heros' weekend October 3/4th. £600 was raised over the weekend for the Heros.

aycliffe3.jpg

aycliffe4.jpg

Well, I think that's the lot, other than perhaps a road run that is planned in the days after Christmas.

• 2 years later...