Ok, Trailers...

paul connor

I have Just been given, yes given! a trailer..

Im not sure what the type or indeed if it is Military, but it looks it!

It camo painted, very scruffy, but chassis and metal work in fair condition no welding needed.

It has rounded wheel arches and 15ins wheels, its also 24V which makes me think its definatly a military model.

I looks kinda like an older sankey type, but it has a lid much like a pig bonnet.

Secured in the centre and has to flaps, each with a kinda of built on piece of metal to stop it on the other flap when its open... if that makes sense?

I shall post a picture of it tommorrow, and hopefully work out what it is.

I shall use for shows as i need a trailer... if its not British and period i shall hide it under a net! hehe

also it needed 2 tyres! bonus as we had 2 part worn ones at work! result!

So today free trailer and free tyres! just needs a good rub down and a paint!

Wow - no idea what that is - but it certainly looks weird!!!!!!!!!!!! The pattern of the camo and the type/width of wheel hint at it being from the late '40's/early '50's from what I recall of other threads....

More than that wild guess I'll leave to the experts here!! :D:D

Looks more like the sort of thing that got towed behind a council lorry and left on site as a portable tool store before the days of private contractors.

That would explain the 24v lights.

The towing eye is not military. Any sign of a convoy light, 12 core electric cable or military chassis plate ?

What's under the cabbage & black paint ? Red oxide primer or Council yellow ? :wink:

I shall have a stab under the paint tommorrow.

So at least i now know what it could be...

Well if its military or indeed council, will do the job to cart bits about as the pig has very little storage.

Ill just paint it Olive drab and chuck netting over it at shows:)

I am aware that it is indeed not a Nato trailer, but does the tow eye look compatible with a Nato hitch? as i dont know much about it?

Also do you know what a Pig should have in way of a hitch? as there are 2 sizes from what i can see..

Or indeed do i need a drop pin style one?

The towing eye looks much too small. At a guess It looks like it's for a 1" or 1.5" pin, the NATO eye is 3" diameter.

The two most common bolt on NATO hitches are the same size, it's the bolt hole pattern that's different. The Land Rover type one has got four bolts in a roughly 4" by 3" rectangle pattern, the Bedford type a roughly 5" square. (I can't remember the exact dimensions).

Paul. Relax, the standard NATO hitch as on Rovers will fit in the existing holes in the pig. Although this is not the type of hitch originally fitted to Humbers.

I assume the dimenisions & hole spacing was deliberate to allow vast numbers of vehicles of all types to be upgraded to NATO hitches with the minimum of fuss.

Hehe i do have a tendancy to panic! haha

Well i now know that a landrover hitch (nato) will fit.

hole spacing 7cm top two apart, and top to bottom 3cm

So now im faced with a few issues, i do seem to ramble on! but i prefer talking and asking as much info before i buy the wrong items or indeed make any silly mistakes.

The hitch eye on the trailer i have is 3cm gap... i assume that this will not mate with a Nato hitch! As this is more like a drop pin one.

Do you think i should source a drop pin hitch? or buy a nato hitch and a new eye?

Also with trailers what is the normal angle for them to sit? I would assume it does not matter as long as there is adaquate clearance and indeed its not dangerous.

As it will sit quite high at the front for the hitch to link.. but again the rear still has lots of clearance..

I assume im right in thinking with the law you need obvious, brake indicator and side lights ... as well as a number plate light and plate...