"Invasion scare" period enthusiast

Gaius Cornelius

Hello,

I am most interested in the British "invasion scare" period of 1940-41.

Although I have done my best to read around the subject for myself, I could do with some more sources on the vehicles developed during this period. For example, Bison and Armadillo (for which I have a little information) the Cockatrice flame thrower (a product of the Petroleum Warfare Department), Scorpion (a plastic armoured vehicle for the admiralty) and the anti-tank lorry (abour which I have no information at all).

Of course, there may be more that I have never heard of!

If anybody can help me, that would be great!

Edited by Gaius Cornelius
Typo

• 4 years later...

Apologies for the spot of Threadomancy, but whilst wandering around the quieter bits of East Kirkby, during Sunday's 3 Lancasters event, I came across this!

10454321_10152725452608984_1279918317634585363_n.jpg?oh=aa849e871146243c78c69c59ae7a5f8a&oe=548A66B7&__gda__=1422902433_4764b6cfdff40eb0c6005292639c3414

The only other known survivor's down at Bov.

http://www.pillbox-study-group.org.uk/index.php/restorations/rescues-n-z/recovery-of-a-bison-mobile-pillbox-by-the-lincolnshire-aircraft-recovery-group/

This is a picture of the MUSEUM OF ARMY TRANSPORTS bison been loaded on to the low loader to go to the tank museum on loan where it remained the bison was found in a filled in pond on a old emergency airfield used by the BLACKBURN

BLACKBURN AIR CRAFT COMPANY at BROUGH east Yorkshire the THORNYCROFT TARTAR on which it was mounted was recovered from RICHARDSONS the FORD GARAGE at DRIFFIELD were it was used as the garage breakdown truck there was/is another BISON at catterick

It's a fascinating period for sure.....Hindsight of course is wonderful and yes we know now that we could maybe have resisted any such invasion but......you have to imagine being there back then.. and seeing what pretty much looked like an absolutely unstoppable German Army careering towards you ? ...the fear in the country can only be imagined...

The speed with which the gun emplacements, stop lines and pillboxs were built and the plans to resist the invasion were formulated too .....and then add on the huge rush into production of weapons and vehicles and such like ?................fascinating times indeed :) When you wander the countryside now and see some moldy old concrete pillbox under a hedge it's hard to fully imagine the circumstances under which it was built over 75 years ago ..

.....Near to where I live , just off a very busy main road there are still some big concrete 'lumps' with bits of girder sticking out of them ...these were apparently 'road blockers' and they're still lying where they were left..presumably by about 1942/43 ish I guess the local Home Guard must have abandoned manning any road block that was there and just humped them into the ditch where they still lie to this day .....eerie stuff when you think about it ! :)

.....Near to where I live , just off a very busy main road there are still some big concrete 'lumps' with bits of girder sticking out of them ...these were apparently 'road blockers' and they're still lying where they were left..presumably by about 1942/43 ish I guess the local Home Guard must have abandoned manning any road block that was there and just humped them into the ditch where they still lie to this day .....eerie stuff when you think about it ! :)

If where you live happens to be in Sussex, I can recommend this blog for all such things from that period: http://www.pillbox.org.uk/pillblogs/index.asp

trevor

Just spotted this on ebay and thought it was interesting

A 1930/40's AIR RAID PRECAUTION SEALING TAPE - still sealed in original pack

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-TOOLS-AND-SPANNERS-1930-1970-chose-and-order-from-the-menu-below-/151415203669?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&var=&hash=item23410ca755

[ATTACH=CONFIG]97017[/ATTACH]