Jeep. registering/getting on road etc.advice.

Gary Murphy

This is my 1st post so i apologise if this info is here somewhere.I have just got a Willy`s Jeep that my Great uncle had for many years.

It has been stored for many years in the dry and is in running condition.I will need to ask many questions later when i start to get the vehicle how i want but at the moment i have no idea how to get it road legal and in my name.Here are some details.It was bought in the 60`s in France ,I do not know if it was driven or transported here.There are no plates on the vehicle.I can prove it has been held here for years but little else.What do i have to do to get the jeep registered for a log book or what ever this kind of vehicle needs and mot etc.

I would like to find out the details of the vehicle and get it back to the original spec.I was always told it was from 1942 and "in the war".At the moment it is painted light blue and no "army numbers" can be seen.If i find a chassis number or engine number can details be found where it came from and went?

Welcome Gary, hope you like this place, it can be a madhouse at times but all in good fun!

Regarding registration, it's fairly simple in theory. The DVLA will require a dating letter from an approved club, the main one being the MVT. You do not have to be a member though it is better to be so for this service and well worth joining anyway.

You contact the club verification officer, he arranges a visit to inspect the vehicle and a letter is drafted for the DVLA. The inspector will need to see a chassis number and ideally an engine number.

On a Willys, there should be a small chassis plate on the inside of the left hand chassis rail just behind the bumper. The number should be something like MB 123456.

A Ford GPW has the number stamped into the chassis itself.

You fill in a form V55/5 I think and take it with the appropriate fee etc to the local VRO and they should issue you with a tax disc which is of course free for a historic vehicle. The Jeep requires an MOT so you would have to get that done first and arrange insurance cover before you visit the VRO.

The inspection can be done at any point before all of this and indeed it is best to atrrange it sooner rather than later as being provided as a voluntary service, it can take a little time to happen! The only thing to think about there is that the inspector needs to see it as a substantially complete vehicle not just a pile of bits on the floor..... It does not need to be restored though!

Regarding wartime or other military use, careful sanding of paint may reveal some numbers, the lower edges of the bonnet being a good place to look but tracing an individual jeeps service history is next to impossible.

You will find amongst these pages not a few tales of woe regarding registering vehicles but the jeep is about the easiest to do so should present no problems.

Hope this helps.

Adrian

Adrian,

Many thanks for the info,it seems easier than i thought.Looks like the first thing to do is join a club,the one you mention.

I will have to ask more question shortly as i have no idea on many things.I would like to tidy her up a bit,but i do not want her looking pristine.I am going to try and make it look like it as dropped in from the war.Used in anger but not old and ropey.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently (2007) had to register my ex-Norway MB for the first time and from what I remember, I went this route....

1. MB was almost completely restored - almost ready for MoT.

2. Wrote to IMPS/MVT to get age verification letter. I had to send rubbings and pictures of the Frame number (tag missing but number had been stamped into the frame) plus supporting information to support the Date of Delivery on the original Dataplate (ACM2 Tub number, etc, etc...)

3. Applied for First Registration (had to include the original C&E 386 from Customs to prove duty paid and IMPS/MVT letter)

4. Took MB for MoT, insured on chassis number. (Checked with local police and this is permitted if it's for pre-arranged test)

5. Once MoT passed, spent 3 weeks chasing DVLA for some progress. Eventually they requested I brought the MB for inspection at Chelmsford (if MoT'd you can drive there, if not roadworthy, then you will need to trailer it there - I was told several times that they do not come to you for inspections)

6. Passed inspection, then chased for another 2 weeks before they issued the age-related number.

7. V5 followed about 2 weeks after that.

On locating the original hood numbers, I sanded one side of my hood and found some traces of White and Blue Drab, but as later coats of paint were uneven, it didn't produce anything legible. I would only recommend using Nitromors or other paint stripper to find original numbers. Apply a thin layer and as soon as the top layer of paint starts to wrinkle, wipe with a damp cloth. Use a plastic scraper to remove one layer at a time.

I'll post a pic of the of the original Blue Drab hood number I uncovered on my MB - just as soon as I locate it!

• 2 weeks later...

The route to Registration victory:

Get vehicle Insured on Chassis Number

SPEAK to your local DVLA office, yes actually call them, they are human! They will send out your registration pack.

Join MVT (or other such organization) and get a date authentication letter from them vehicle age inspector, this can take a while and have plenty cups of tea and biscuits available, they are volunteers and do a damn good job.

Book an MOT

Get Vehicle MOT'd (you can drive it on the road to the test centre at this stage, as long as you have a booked appointment, this is fun if you have never had it on the road before!)

Take your completed registration and supporting documents to the DVLA, they takes your money and then you wait.

After about 2 weeks you either get your stuff through OR a letter saying it needs to be inspected at the DVLA office with a time and date. NOTE: you cannot drive it there, it must be transported or trailered, NO TAX DISC=NOT ROAD LEGAL. You can plead your case if you want and they may come out to inspect it, but it will be weeks into the future before they come out and then you wait 2 more weeks for your documents to come.

This is from recent experience registering a Dodge WC51 imported from Norway.

It seems daunting at first but its not, just be prepared to wait.

Hope this helps some.

Edited by richard hulme

I beg to differ on the not being able to drive it to the DVLA local centre for inspection. I checked with Essex Police and they advised that as long as the jeep was MoT'd, insured (on chassis number) and being driven to/from an arranged appointment, with no deviation, then there wouldn't be any problem.

Naturally, if you have a GMC, Half-track, etc... in a similar situation which doesn't require an MoT then there's even less of a problem.

• 2 years later...

I recently went through the motions of registering my Jeep at the Chelmsford DVLA office, paid my money but they wanted to inspect it.... I was given a date and time to be there and told that I had to trailer it as it was illegal to take on the road. However, I phoned Essex Police afterwards and they said it was ok to drive to the pre-booked appointment, as long as it was MOT'd and insured, so I drove it there having taken the officer's number in case I was questioned. I had no issues, passing 3 police cars en route. The DVLA inspector didn't say anything either.

Personally for me the MOT was by far the most important thing and as mine had been standing for a few years all the brake seals and the whole master cylinder needed changing as well as some welding and a battery. I brought it from a farm in Italy. It had the Italian number plates but that's another story.

When I registered mine the DVLA inspector was only interested in establishing its identity and colour. It hasn't got an engine number on the V5. It is not a mechanical or road worthiness check that's what the MOT is for.

With the letter from IMPS and seeing the chassis number stamped on the chassis and a rather silly discussion about the colour they gave me the number. Try IMPS they don't usually inspect.

There is no import/VAT duty on personal imports if the vehicle is over 5 years old.