A Bridge to Far...

Jack

It was Charlie Mann from Lamanva who provided many of the vehicles and all of the real Shermans were from European military sources.

Several glassfibre mock ups were built on Land Rover chassis. At least a couple of these came back to the UK and could be seen at Lamanva. Not sure what happened to them.

I know Sherman tanks were provided by the Brussels Tank Museum (Sherman VC Firefly) and Netherlands Army Technical Service ("REME") collection (M4A3(105)). IIRC correctly, the latter was re-fitted with a turret for the movie, as it had been in use as a turretless towing vehicle when last in use with the Dutch Army.

More details are in the special After The battle magazine issue on the subject of making this movie.

Hanno

Cannot remember the exact amount but about 20 or so from around the world as well as a few hercules(C130) and transaals(C160) to provide paratroopers in the sky at the same time but obviously out of shot.

I had privilege of being one of the paras who made up the extras and did all the jumps during the films. 1 Para and some from other Bns (incl TA Bns) made up the main contingent of jumpers as well as some from other allied armies. It looked impressive from the ground and busy as hell in the sky exiting from the Dakota with others all around you doing same - modern jumps don't get the quantity of people or aircraft as during war and they now tend to come in on stream (one behind other) and not in formation nowadays.

Gary

Baptys film hire provided many of the vehicles via C. Mann. I bought 18 vehicles from peter Dinley in the early 1980. The ones that were taken over for film use were, 2 Schwimmwagens, 2 kuble wagons 2 R75 BMW 1 Kettenkrad, 1 1Ton demag halftrack, Humber Box, Universal carrier Mk. 2*

White armoured car, Horch type 40 kuble.BMW R12. I still have the carrier and the Humber box.

Only 11? I seem to remember more but some may have been mock ups as there was a lot on ground for longer shots etc. I remember Sth African Dakotas too but not sure if it was during film or just after as we did some more shots for a publicity film too

Gary

Sorry Joris, I was being pedantic! It should of course, be A Bridge Too Far.

A Bridge To Far means a bridge to a place called Far. :-D

Gonna get you mister :argh: :computerrage::writing:

.....I meant A Bridge Two Far.

Seems about right as I said I remembered about 20. There were definitely non flyers and mockups etc. I think the shots with the lines of daks etc was manipulated by trickery, smoke and mirrors etc lol

Great times and memories, we also played the zulu extras in the Monty Python Meaning of Life after the real West Indians went on strike after complaining it was too cold -well it was filmed just outside Glasgow but that's another story

Some questions about 'A Bridge too far' film. Anyone help with answers?

1. I understand one of the Army Paratroops froze at the exit and refused to jump. As it wasn't a Military exercise but a film job, there was doubt as to whether he was to be charged or not. Anyone know the outcome?

2. I believe one of the mock-up German armoured cars used was also used as Grubers 'Little Tank' in "'allo 'allo". Is this true?

3. The gliders were just mock-ups for towing only. One was towed too fast and became airborne for a short while. Is this true?

RE:

I understand one of the Army Paratroops froze at the exit and refused to jump. As it wasn't a Military exercise but a film job, there was doubt as to whether he was to be charged or not. Anyone know the outcome?

I never physically witnessed this but heard about it, as you say it was a film but it was treated as a mil jump, using mil chutes, RAF PJIs, safety Officers etc and we were given the Green Light Warning before any jump. As an APJI with lots of experience it was just another set of jumps. The disconcerting thing was that when you stood in the door you could see to your left and slightly below you the tail plane and it had the effect of making you think as you left the sill you were going to wrap yourself round it. In reality you dropped well below it and the chute slid over it as you descended. In C130s and modern jump planes the tail ishigh up and you never see it so no psychological barrier.

I guess that the para who refused should have been, medically checked and if not injured, 252'd and disciplinary action taken etc, but I assume it was treated locally at platoon/ coy comd level and he was filled in by the CSM lol. It takes a lot more courage to refuse than jump as the peer pressure and fallout is immeasureable. Just my twopence worth, after all it was party time being looked after by a film company and their beer tokens

Gary