Libya / Postwar British Vehicles

Kuno

The period 1960-64 saw much activity in terms of ATGW trials in Libya. Namely Vigilant as a man-portable weapon & Malkara launched from Hornet.

From the autumn of 1961 these activities were under the auspices of Cyclops Squadron 2 RTR. Vehicles used predominantly were Rovers & a whole range of Humber 1-Ton variants, namely FV1601, FV1602, FV1620, FV1621, FV1622, FV1623 & FV1624. Unlike the Australian experience of the FV1601, the accounts are that the Humber 1-Ton handled well in the desert.

In 1965 both Malkara & Vigilant went into service with the British Army. These trials must have impressed as Libya bought Vigilant in that year. Thereafter HMG blocked Vigilant sales to the Middle East. This was a sort of back-handed compliment to its effectiveness, as the UK was trying to sell tanks to countries in the region.

I should add that the EME & Trials Officer for these prolonged & intricate trials was Capt Peter Russell. The picture below shows Peter on the right while still recovering from a broken arm as the result of parachuting trials for jungle warfare training in the Far East. To the left Capt Antony Walker, to become General Sir Antony Walker KCB, who delivered the eulogy at Peter's funeral earlier in the week.

App1336.jpg

The FFR Rover with 40A charging system is identifiable as it has the forward spaced ("toast rack") grill to allow cooling for the finned selenium rectifier. It displays the tac sign of '32' denoting Cyclops 2 RTR on the badge of the RAC. To the right is the badge of the 3rd Division, which formed part of the Strategic Reserve. On the doors of the Rover was a transfer with a silver RTR emblem, on a square black background that signified 2 RTR.

Edited by fv1609

Im going to start a new thread based on this as I was interested in the role of Champs in the desert. Markings, units etc.

Once it is opened I could provide you some pics of wrecked champs in Libya (never saw an operational one) :cry:

• 2 months later...
This was taken in the mid-sixties, REME repair park

Its interesting that the Ford E4 (Commer Cabbed Ford) ambulance has an self defence anti aircraft frame on the cab hip ring.

I really need to get out more........... :help:

Its interesting that the Ford E4 (Commer Cabbed Ford) ambulance has an self defence anti aircraft frame on the cab hip ring.

I really need to get out more........... :help:

The purpose built ambulances were designated E3, the LAA tractor was E4 but a number of E2 binned container store bodies were converted to ambulances, perhaps this may account for the mount.

• 3 years later...