Replica Schwimvagen...

mark m uk

Hi Chaps, new guy here on the forum.

I read with interest the not uncommon idea of building a 166 useing a beetle as a donor. The idea has been around for some while. really nice repro bodies and parts are available - but as one would expect they are expensive. There are a few real 166 available, but also very expensive. The only affordable reproduction is a fiberglass one from the 'states - made by panzerwerks.

So I decieded a couple of months ago to build my own, starting with a beetle.

I know it is not a real one, and it has no historical value. In one way that is exactly the attraction. I will not have any worries about useing this on the water, and it matters not if it rusts out from under my backside - at the end of the day it is only a tired old 60's beetle.

I don't have a real one - and lets face it, I'm not likely to borrow one either, so I am copying a model. Yeah, yeah, I can hear you all laughing.

Fact is, this is not ever going to be a real 166, so there is not much point getting bent out of shape to keep it 100% 'authentic' - 'cos it will never ever be authentic !

Still early days, What do you guys think ?

Regards Mark.

VWbodyworkwings166035.jpg

VWbodyworkwings166022.jpg

vwscrapwagen009.jpg

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mark,

Interesting project you've got there! Nothing wrong with using models for reference, so long as the kit manufacturer is known for accuracy. Before I bought my Jeep, I bought a 1/35 scale model to see if it would fit in my garage along side my aircraft trailer. Scaling up the model, I figured I'd have about 1 inch clearance each side of the Jeep. It turned out I had 1.5 inches once I bought the Jeep!!!

Steve

Do you know Reggie? from Coventry way? he built a great replica and won best restoration at W&P for a "Replica Schwimvagen" cuased a bit or a stir for some of the the Axis vehicle owners "tee hee" :-) i have his number if you want it?

go for it mate, what a great project, considering building a replica Stoewer one day soon.

Do you know Reggie? from Coventry way? he built a great replica and won best restoration at W&P for a "Replica Schwimvagen" cuased a bit or a stir for some of the the Axis vehicle owners "tee hee" :-) i have his number if you want it?

go for it mate, what a great project, considering building a replica Stoewer one day soon.

Thanks,..............and thanks to all those for the encourageing and complimentary comments.

Yes, I had the pleasure to meet and chat with Reggie at Beltring this last year. I had a good look around the replica he built and have to say I was knocked back by the quality of his work - outstanding.

I will not get into a useless debate about wether he should or should not get a prize for the vehicle at Beltring - people will always have their own view, and rightly so. To me, it was an outstanding contribution to the hobby and really did deserve acknowledgement.

Beltring has provided me with several trophies over the years, and I am used to the bitching that can take place. Several years ago, having spent 3 years restoring a GPA, I took it to Beltring. As I had seen so few GPAs at that time I deceided it would be a more interesting exhibit if I left off the foredeck and floor so as the inner workings could be seen. Only to be told it did not qualify for judgeing because it was 'incomplete' :nono:

...............never mind, cleaned up the following year .

Back to the Schwimmmmmm project.

Reggie made a damn fine job of that, and he tells me it cost $$$$$.££££££.EEEE x loads........Also 3 long years of graft.

Reggie also told me he had enquiries about making more - he also told me he said "yes, as long as they can pay my wages for three years"!

I was taking a slightly different approach, and would really value forum members opinions and views.

The way I see it. If I had 100k + tied up in a 166, I'd be scared to take it in the water - the last thing you do is dip a valuable car made of mild steel in water. I have never swum my GPA for that very reason (I can hear the jeering) having got one of the best, and original GPAs I have a duty to preserve.

So, to enjoy a 166 at its best, I personally would be more 'comfortable' with a replica. .........I can thrash it around, splash about in the water, dent it a bit - let the reenactment boys jump all over it and generally have fun.

If, a reasonable representation of a WW2 VW166 could be made, would it sell ? is there enough interest in these replicas to make it worth produceing ?

As a guide, it should be considered that an empty fibreglass body shell can be bought from the 'states for approx £8,000 + shipping + duties + VAT, etc, etc. Then you have to find and build all the mechanicals, wheels, seats, suspension, steering, brakes, electrics. lights, instruments,

etc, etc, etc.

Or a really nice all steel body can be bought for approx £25,000 + shipping + duties + VAT + all the mechanicals, etc.

So, there is no cheap and cheerful way to a VW166, Not real or repro !

How much would people pay for an all steel look-a-like, driving VW166, that had engine and mechanical parts that were cheap, available, and off the shelf.

Your Thoughts, Regards Mark.

Wow ! I look forward to seeing the build progressing ! One of the reasons I love this forum is seeing just how skilled some of our members are ! Is this something you do for a living ? I guess you have some very nice metal working tools at your disposal ? Please keep us updated with progress ! :-D

Thank you for the replies chaps,

No, I have absolutely no intention of building a spot on replica that could be passed off as a genuine period piece, and yes the prime objective is to enjoy the experience and entertain myself.

The prime reason to explore if anyone may be interested in buying these is because I wondered if it is worth making tooling, and keeping the patterns and templates.

...........I had to laugh at the assumption that I had some good metal working tools and a workshop. Not a pi$$ taking laugh, but a little chuckle to myself.

Y'see, I have a vice with only one jaw and the handel falls out. The bench has advanced woodworm and the top is so worn It doesn't have a flat surface. I have a hammer with a shortened handle that is loose. I borrowed a mig welder from a friend that said it was so $hit "I don't want it back" he added "if you mend it, you can have it" In place of a metal folder I have a rusty bar with a hacksaw cut in the end. My 4" grinder has a jammed switch and you switch it off and on at the socket. I also have,

a 9" grinder, a few clamps (some are tennis table net clamps) a few old spanners, some odd sockets..............and a lot of enthusiasm.

VWbodyworkwings166029.jpg

I am not a metal worker, The only formal training I have is as a bricklayer - But that has been enormously helpful with making the many curved patterns from the model. The principle is very like the way I make wooden formers to support brickwork arches over doors and windows.

First I bend wire around the model to find the shape - then draw it out on paper - next draw multiple tangents on the curves, bisect and draw perpendicular lines against them - that finds the centres of the curves and a quick calcalation will reveal the radius. Next, transfer all that to real scale, and make templates.

VW006.jpg

VW008.jpg

VW009.jpg

I take those templates to a company that rolls steel tube for making metal park benches. They convert the plywood shapes to steel tube and box.

When I get the bits home I weld it up with the hot glue - that will form a basis like a skeleton to bend, beat and fix panels to.

vwscrapwagen006.jpg

vwscrapwagen012.jpg

I of course realise that this is not the way that a real 166 was made. But I don't care, I just want an affordable look alike that can be used and have fun with.

vwframe002.jpg

Regards Mark.

...........I had to laugh at the assumption that I had some good metal working tools and a workshop. Not a pi$$ taking laugh, but a little chuckle to myself.

Y'see, I have a vice with only one jaw and the handel falls out. The bench has advanced woodworm and the top is so worn It doesn't have a flat surface. I have a hammer with a shortened handle that is loose. I borrowed a mig welder from a friend that said it was so $hit "I don't want it back" he added "if you mend it, you can have it" In place of a metal folder I have a rusty bar with a hacksaw cut in the end. My 4" grinder has a jammed switch and you switch it off and on at the socket. I also have,

a 9" grinder, a few clamps (some are tennis table net clamps) a few old spanners, some odd sockets..............and a lot of enthusiasm.

Mark that makes what you have achieved so far even more impressive ! Well done ! :-D

Edited by Marmite!!
Edit quote tags

Thank you Andy,

And thanks to all you guys for the interest and comments.

Those links are quite fantastic, cant believe trhe price of some of that stuff, It seems expensive but considereing the quality and complexity of the parts , vwery reasonable - beginning to realise I am wasting my time with this project !

thanks again guys...........regards Mark.