saving

paul connor

What do i buy?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What do i buy?

Paul

I'm surprised at you. What's wrong with the pig? You've hardly used it! If you go for tracks or 6-wheelers, that can be big time hassle or at least its beyond my ability to be able to properly maintain them & that is the thing not just having it & charging around but maintaining it properly.

Buy another pig if you've must have another vehicle or John Newtons Hornet.

The Pigs future is a very safe one! did 47M in here yesturday! and went like a dream... fully serviced and ready to Roll to Overlord.

I would be tempted with Johns hornet, but the money needed to buy and build would be out of my budget i think..

I just fancy expanding my collection again..:)

going to start saving now for a new toy... but what do i go for?? i ask you all...

for ease of working on.

practicallity

fun

ownership issues

Paul,

Take it from me, having work experience of all those you have listed, you will be going from the frying pan to the fire.

If you are struggling to maintain the Pig, what with the logistics, cost of running, fuel, etc., then these are neither practical nor easy to work on. Stick to your Pig as Clive says, use it and look after it, then it will be fun, adding a heavier vehicle will probably give you nightmares!

Richard

Paul

Oh I get it you are afraid 4x4s will be banned from some places, all the news ones are not 4x4 8)

The trouble with a collection (ie more than one vehicle) is that you can only have a meaningful relationship with one vehicle at any one time. Maintenance (even if you don't drive it often they still need maintenance) becomes a chore. John Newtons wonderful collection (which I find more fascinating than a tank museum - because its British & postwar & mainly wheeled) required him to spend a day just to check & pump up all his tires!

My lot is far more modest but is too much to cope with.

Wolf is my day vehicle

No1 Pig most shows

Hornet a few shows

No2 Pig engine dead

No1 Shorland not been out for 10 years

No2 Shorland one trip a year (to MOT)

GS Humber just rotted away :roll:

I know some people are promiscuous with vehicles, its the thrill of the deal, the paint job, a few shows then interest is lost & another vehicle is hunted down. Once I have put some sweat, blood & tears into a vehicle I am very loathe to let it go because you never seem to get a return on what you have done to it.

It's silly but there is a worry that the new owner will do something orrible to it paint it some ghastly colour, cover it with flags & stickers, off-road it or simply let it fade away.

Sensible words!!! I'd say stick with the pig and invest in it's future rather than dilute funds with a second vehicle.

If you must persist then each of the 4 listed have their own adherents on the forum and can advise of the unique aspect of the vehicle. My favourite is the Stalwart - and for that most consider me totally insane!! Bear these points in mid though before parting with the hard-earned readies:

* All of them are VERY labour intensive - and cows to work on if something goes wrong. As it will sooner or later.

* All will require investment in MUCH heavier tools and lifting gear than you likely currently have.

* All will have much more limited useable ranges - usually about 50 miles or so - before the need for a transporter comes into the equation thus adding extra operating costs.

* All will have a fetish for fuel stations that would make old 2 Shags affair with his secretary seem like a playground romance!! The Stalwart has an Army nominated range of 4 MPG - on the owners forum they state it's nearer 2.5 MPG... OK - a Mk 2 432 with a multi-fuel engine will be able to use the mixed stuff service stations get rid off but you can't gurantee a constant supply of this.

* All will require access to a bigger storage area, none really lend themselves to home storage, thus adding yet more cost.

* The 432 will require an additional group added to your driving license (H) - the Stalwart is a grey area right now so we won't go there but suffice it to say in theory you should have a class2 HGV as its post 1960.

* Maintenance bills on the Stalwart for sure will make your pigs look like loose change. Theres's over 180 litres of oil of varying type plus something called "Oildag" for the bevel oxes required when a full service is done (and the Oildag is described as "Gobsmackingly expensive"!!) whilst the fuel tank hold 454 litres (100 galls to the old school). Virtually every job is a 2-man one and the majority will involve hanging upside down inside the punt or hull. I would imagine the other FV6xx series vehicles would be similar

Having read this - are you still convinced you need a second vehicle???

:D:D

I think i must have been over enthused this morning..

The Pig is a splendid vehicle and i would not sell. I would like another vehicle, i understand the idea that with more than one you never spend the time you would on one.. but alas, it seems we have all gone down that road. I sold my Landrover Piglet which i should have kept really.

I have herd Stolly are a hydrolic pain, as well as the saracen and saladin being heavy and a pain, suppose my childhood fantasys of heavier armour got the most of me starting this thread.

Storage for me is not an issue nor the source of mixed fuel, i can get prob 50L a week near every week.

But alas, i shoud really think about saving another poor PIG as well, as there are so many sitting rotting!

I think ill think before putting my typing in gear

ho hum! back to the wine

Paul,

We have several vehicles, and what the others say is true. We're going to sell our 432 because it never gets used and lives too far away. The only saving grace is that it costs nothing to run due to free fuel, however it is wide and slow and not much fun on the roads.

I think you need to add CVR(T) to your poll. We have a Spartan and it is a really wonderful vehicle. It's dead easy to work on, if you need to get to the engine you can take the top off and most things are right there. The engine can be removed in less than an hour, and goes back in just as quickly. The tracks and wheels aren't too heavy, if a bit expensive, but how far do you want to drive it? It goes like a rocket too, I have to slow down for speed cameras! Biggest problem is of course transport though.

Picture%20034.jpg

That's my vote anyway..!

Chris

Hi Paul,

if you like post-war British vehicles why not some thing smaller, champ, humber truck, or if you have storage what about an antar and trailer (at least you can transport the pig as well !! ) :lol: :lol:

Personally i would have thought one large vehicle would be enough, but i know plenty of guys who own two or more large vehicles.

On the other hand..... did the pig tow anything trailer, weaponry, some thing else to consider ?

But in the end the choice is .....yours

Ashley

True alas :cry: :cry:

I've been scanning MV prices for over a year now and I think I'v onlyever seen two Saladins come up for sale and comapred to the prices of equivalent Saracens or Stalwarts they were priced at what I'd term "Silly Money" - IRO £10K

£10k for a nice Saladin would be a bit of a bargain!

"Nice" in this context I hasten to add is not nice as applied to the other 2 member of the family - rather they were complete but in need of much work. There was another one that was advertised as a full resto - but the seller wanted all sorts of info before he'd reveal the price - draw your own conclusions from that one!! :shock: :shock: