WW1 finds and discoveries

Great War truck

• 1 month later...

This may not be WW1 related. I have a Belgian built engine of the make Wafflard that I am taking apart to get it running again. The carburetor is a Claudel-Hobson, it appears that this type was also used on the ABC flat twin engines. However this one is marked 'made in Belgium'. The magneto has round bar magnets and is stamped 'W^D' and 'BX4', so I think it is British. If anyone can tell me more about the carburetor and magneto I can possibly put a year on the engine.

Thank you

Marcel

IMG_1071.jpg

IMG_1075.jpg

IMG_1076.jpg

IMG_1080.jpg

IMG_1081.jpg

Yes! I have taken quite a fancy to this Latil but we have enough to keep us going until I drop! I saw it on the Brighton run when I was at college. It was departing from Battersea Park in a raging rainstorm and the crew were in oilskins! After that it disappeared so it is nice to see it out again.

Steve

Yes! I have taken quite a fancy to this Latil but we have enough to keep us going until I drop! I saw it on the Brighton run when I was at college.

Are you sure that it is the same one? The Latil I recall from Brighton around then had Portal Axles.

• 2 weeks later...
Are you sure that it is the same one? The Latil I recall from Brighton around then had Portal Axles.

Oh yes, certain of it. I have been looking for the photos that I took on that day but they seem to have gone adrift in the last thirty years!

Steve

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I think that axle has been on here before. Cant remember what we said it was. Something quite unusual I think.

One of my Friends has come accross it 'in the London area'. Sounds like it has been on here before.

The Vulcan axle looks a good match to me.

Can anyone point it in the direction of a home?. If it has a worm and wheel in it, then surely someone will be glad of it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

With a tank situated laterally at the rear? The three locking mechanisms on each side don't appear to be very strong; unlike the frame? It's no racing car. Never seen anything quite like it! Though the spoke/wheel pattern is familiar... steel wheels on an otherwise timber-framed farm dray.

I suspect that it is the chassis of a large diesel compressor and nothing like as old as it looks at first sight. They were still being made with that style wheels in the '50s. However I have not heard of EWC so will hope to be enlightened.

David