Spotted today....

Richard Farrant

The white very scared face of the passenger on a MB or Willis this morning on the Green Street Green roundabout of the A21. Reason was the muppet driving did'nt consider that when approching a roundabout at high speed, 75 year old drum brakes and bar grips on a wet road is not a winning combination. Luckly the big red bus he didn't see till the last minute was on discs.

Oh dear mate , nothing serious I hope ? On the way home ? Maybe you should stick with the Pig from now on :-)

I'm sure it was the coil overheating that I had replaced earlier in the year. The frustrating thing was that although I had another coil with me & all the tools & test equipment one could wish for, it was far too dangerous to attempt a repair positioned around a bend partly in the slip road of the A3(M)

We had to stop a few miles down the road to reload it more centrally as it was having an adverse effect on the recovery vehicle's stability :shocked:

Was a bit difficult trying to explain to the recovery company that it was slightly different looking Land Rover.

Yes Andy the Pig wouldn't have let me down, but it wouldn't have been very welcome at a Land Rover show :D

I'm sure it was the coil overheating that I had replaced earlier in the year. The frustrating thing was that although I had another coil with me & all the tools & test equipment one could wish for, it was far too dangerous to attempt a repair positioned around a bend partly in the slip road of the A3(M)

We had to stop a few miles down the road to reload it more centrally as it was having an adverse effect on the recovery vehicle's stability :shocked:

Was a bit difficult trying to explain to the recovery company that it was slightly different looking Land Rover.

Yes Andy the Pig wouldn't have let me down, but it wouldn't have been very welcome at a Land Rover show :D

But very very welcome at War and Peace revival mate :-)

Well I have just been able to do what I wanted to do last Friday & changed the coil. However testing the defective coil showed that is could still provide an adequate output.

So I connected it to a 13.5v power supply & measured the current at 30 sec intervals for 20 mins, periodically testing the insulation at 5,000v.

The initial insulation resistance was 26 Megohms, which is not very good, but it was functioning as a coil. After 15 mins the coil was moderately hot & insulation resistance had dropped to 3.5 Megohms. After 20 mins the coil was hot enough to only be touchable for 10 secs & the insulation resistance had dropped to 1.4 Megohms.

It took nearly an hour before the coil would provide any sort of spark on my tester, despite it externally being only moderately warm. Oh & the spare I had ready had an insulation resistance of 7.0 Gigohms.

From that I have learnt to only break down in a layby & only rely on a coil test once the coil is quite hot.

Or rather not spotted today.

Fri 26th around midday something big, with multi engines flew over Pickering at a low altitude.

Not a Hercules and not a jet.

I was at the wrong end of a 45m shed to be able to get out and see it.

It was going either East - West or West - East.

Any ideas?