Spotted today....

Richard Farrant

Actually this was on Tuesday, does it still qualify ? It is an unmolested Abbot from Waterford in the south of Ireland and I will be processing it and sending it off to Canada. If any one wants the VRN, send me a PM and I will get it.

Abt Ireland.jpg

Spotted this in Boston, Massachusetts, last week. There is a company which uses a large fleet of DUKWs to take tourists on land & water tours of the city. I didn't fancy it myself and I definitely wouldn't fancy the idea of trying to get to Dublin on one....:shocked:

attachment.php?attachmentid=126230&stc=1

I am always sad to see these fine vehicles carved up like a circus show. One of the first jobs that I had as an MOD driver was to look after three DUKW's for a couple of weeks - just drove them around keeping the batteries charged and making sure that nothing seized up. I couldn't believe that I was actually getting paid for having so much fun! Attached pictures taken in 1975.

Regards - David

attachment.php?attachmentid=126353&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=126354&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=126355&stc=1

DUKW1.jpg

DUKW2.jpg

DUKW3.jpg

I am always sad to see these fine vehicles carved up like a circus show. One of the first jobs that I had as an MOD driver was to look after three DUKW's for a couple of weeks - just drove them around keeping the batteries charged and making sure that nothing seized up. I couldn't believe that I was actually getting paid for having so much fun! Attached pictures taken in 1975.

Regards - David

attachment.php?attachmentid=126353&stc=1

what a job indeed, anymore photos from your job pal?

what a job indeed, anymore photos from your job pal?

Hi Nick, I got to play with these in the late 70's - early 80's. Sadly, didn't do any recovery work with them ( I drove Explorers and Martians for recovery work), we were acting as a ferry service, moving them from the RA ranges in the Hebrides to 26 Command Workshops in Stirling. You can see from the pics, that as a civvy MOD driver, we were not held to the same dress code as the military!

Regards - David

aec1.jpg

aec2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
As we were coming out of Ipswich tonight , a low loader with a Humber Pig on board came off the A14 and went onto the A 12 . Wondered if they were heading for Beltring ? The Pig was 23BK72

Funny, I saw that too, it looked very clean and mavbe freshly sprayed.

Probably the last batch of DUKWs produces from Fazakerley Eng Liverpool. That was about the last year we were doing total rebuilds. They did look fine.

Sadly the last one delivered, rotted down on the vehicle park at Ashchurch.

Edited by FEC

• 2 weeks later...

In N/Yorks. Black close coupled 4 axle rigid on low loader with TARMAC accross the tail board. Possibly Sentinal. Just below Angle of the North South Bound, on the side of the road Poss W/Jeep and trailer. I was heading in the opposite direction. With a poorly Audi on the trailer.

Edited by john1950

In N/Yorks. Black close coupled 4 axle rigid on low loader with TARMAC accross the tail board. Possibly Sentinal. Just below Angle of the North South Bound, on the side of the road Poss W/Jeep and trailer. I was heading in the opposite direction for both.

Possibly going to Croft Nostalgia Weekend , just to the south of Darlington. The Sentinel is local to Durham.