Out of the 2 current in service recovery vehicles which one is the better as in more user friendly?

th_M-984HEMTTCekiciArac-.jpg

th_PICT00101.jpg

The crane on the MAN has a better capacity but HEMTT has room for stores. to operate the hemtt is a 2 man job, some tasks 3 men.

What was the recovery trailer that came with the MAN.

We have the Mack R600 with Holmes crane 6+6 and there is the Tatra RV-20 SAS, Oshkosh have built a couple of overs. The Tatra has a 4 seat capacity which in my way of thinking is required as there is always the driver of the over vehicle to recover most of the time. The MAN SV ® looks on paper the better vehicle but how are all the electronics holding up. What improvements would you make if you could?

There have been teething problems with the complicated electronics but once they are sorted it'll be a good wagon, plus what better proving ground than on Operations in Afghanistan.

What improvements would I make? Not many, just a few gripes from a drivers perspective but nothing major, time will tell.

Keep on trying, but our rece-mechs seam to love there job. there is all ways adds for army reserve rece-mechs. We have a sergeant in gunnery wing that did 20 years with RTR.

The Mack is a very good truck entering service in 1983, I have seen it hauling loads that it really shouldn't ie something new large and heavy in from out on the range.The current Mack wrecker is the second generation since 1983, prior to that we had the M816. The boys would off preferred to transfer the crane from the 816 to the Mack.

Can you post the tab data on the man and your previous wrecker and some more photos.

shin up you can always come over for a holiday

Thanks for your PM and I have looked at your associations web sight. BAE will replace I hope only the Unimog fleet?. I will post tab data on hemmtt and M1089.

I would just like to point out we are recording history, these vehicles are available at the right price for the private collector and in 20 years a new fleet will enter service.

Mobile Home USA

th_id_man_8x8_700_05.jpg

Coming soon used Australian Landrover and Unimog fleet.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a look at the tab data. The Hemtt as a platform runs a 500 hp Cat engine with a 5 speed auto from Allison ( your HET 1070F tank transporter are running Cat 700hp with a 7 speed auto from Allison).

With crane yours is heavier but can do a lot more in the crane department, you also have a hydrolic spade were Hemtt thy have to crane it of and assemble.

With out driving both it is hard to make a comparison but in maintenance the Hemtt with the cat and Allison would appear easier as there is more around especially over here. The same goes for you, now you have to repair 2 types.

As you were saying there is many others like Tatra, Renault and a Russian one.

What you have going for you is probably the better recovery package of the lot. I would of liked to see a crew cab/sleeper tho and due you have a fridge fitted in there.

What we need to do is design our own.:idea:

• 2 weeks later...

th_071309mc_lvsr_800wrecker.jpg

This is the USMC new Wrecker coming into service soon, it is simular to the HEMTT but is called LVSR MKR15 Wrecker.

Apart from now having 10 wheels with steering on the first 2 sets and steering on the last 2 sets, it is a HEMTT

Length is just over a metre longer, the crane is better lifting 4.5 ton at 20 feet and 8 ton at 11 feet, the spade is now hydraulic, there are 2 main winchs plus self recovery winch. There is also a 10ton load space/4 pallets.

Engine 600hp Cat with 7 speed auto, only a single speed T/case

From what I can discover it is a improvment over the M984. I would love to know its turning circle compared to the M984.

I think the MAN SV® will P!55 all over it, it'll take a special wagon to beat it. Plus I don't really agree with the laod space for the pallets, the "can you just shove this on and take it to this location" would be a nightmare. IMO. Would love to see it go head to head though.

What can it winch? and 8 Ton max crane lift? lousy.

The LVSR MKR15 comes with 2 17690kg duel drum, after having a good look at the specs your right.

Oshkosh have also developed Heavy army recovery vehicle with a 5th wheel towing and recovery device based on the 10 wheeler, thay are using Rotzler TR-80 as there winch, some thing to look at.

Currently at Pucka thay are going head to head at this stage just carrying concrete blocks around Australia. This is for the replacement of the mack fleet.

I have herd that the replacement for the unimog fleet is now up in the air, so we might see a new trial for that fleet as well.

At this stage I will have to put up whith my old M816 which I am just keeping operating for the Army Tank Museum, you should note that I am having a Ball with her towing and lifting strange heavy machines around the compound.

th_My816Wreakertowing2poundercarrie-1.jpg

The reson I am intrested in recovery vehicles is that in the what you would call outback there are tips with colections of old rusting machines of all shapes and sizes, leftovers from mineing operations, some dating back to the T model Ford, just waiting to be sorted, recovered and restored or sold.

To get to some of these locations you need a good truck and trailer combination.

With this in mind would there with some reconfigeration of your stowage a possability of instaling a sleeper cab the size of a small popup camper trailer?.

Is there any chance of posting some pics of your truck?.:coffee:

Paul,

It sounds like you have the best job in the world over there, can I have a job when I get out?

To answer your question about our cab, to install some sort of sleeping arrangement would be tricky given the depth of the cab but not impossible, I heard that there was to be a hammock type bed for the driver which would be suspended from hooks in the cab but I think they shelved this idea due to the MoD not liking us sleeping in our wagons anymore. Space behind the seats is very limited so I think you'll find Recy Mechs buying hammocks and throwing them up were they were going to install them in the first place.

Pics, yes I'll put some pics up hopefully tomorrow.

I'd love to be trucking around the outback picking up old trucks etc, you must love your job, damn your Government for dropping Recy Mech from the list of critical trades for emigrating.:argh:

Thanks for that I love this Internet, on our original mack wreckers thay instaled a canvas cabin on the back in front of the crane, it was the same as used for the mack gun tractor for the carrage of the recovered crew, of course Recy-mechs being Recy-mechs soon converted it into the moble home away from home, could this be done?

You can always come over and then apply as for my job it is fun but I hope to finish the restoration on the Vickers mediam this year it has been 4 years nearly of part time work.

Purely from a layman's perspective, what exactly are the terms of reference for 280 extra heavy recovery vehicles costing up to £1m each? I am sure that generations of recovery mechanics have had great fun in training recovering tanks that have been thrown into muddy lakes, but does that happen in reality? I am assuming that an 8x8 HET can drop it's trailer, reach and recover most tanks and that a modern 6x6 vehicle similar to the Foden could cope with most other breakdown/recovery/workshop crane tasks.

In the UK I regularly see the Fodens called out to recover broken down Lend Ravers which seems to be like using a sledge hammer to crack a nut; do we not have any medium recovery vehicles such as the MJs any more?

Purely from a layman's perspective, what exactly are the terms of reference for 280 extra heavy recovery vehicles costing up to £1m each? I am sure that generations of recovery mechanics have had great fun in training recovering tanks that have been thrown into muddy lakes, but does that happen in reality? I am assuming that an 8x8 HET can drop it's trailer, reach and recover most tanks and that a modern 6x6 vehicle similar to the Foden could cope with most other breakdown/recovery/workshop crane tasks.

In the UK I regularly see the Fodens called out to recover broken down Lend Ravers which seems to be like using a sledge hammer to crack a nut; do we not have any medium recovery vehicles such as the MJs any more?

Do Tanks and trucks get stuck in muddy lakes often? of course they do, "8x8 HET dropping it's trailer and recoverying most tanks" Hmmm no I don't think so, if your refering to the Oshkosh HET then yes it would be up to quite a lot of tasks but not all, however you don't have one attached to every tank Sqn and Armd Inf Coy thats why you have Armoured Recovery Vehicles attached to them, and yes Foden/Man SV® can cope with all wheeled heavy and light plus light Armour and has some limited capability with Heavy Armour.

The RLC tank transporter driver has some recovery knowledge but can only really cope with picking up tank casualites from ECP's and tracks, however they do undertake quite extensive recovery training, but not as much as Recovery Mechanics.

As for Fodens recovering Land Rovers, well why not? we have the assets available it's what they're for then we should use them, not sure if there are any MJ's about these day's maybe sold off as the Bedford fleet is being retired (slowly).

Why have the MoD procured these new Recovery vehicles? well the ageing Foden is just about coming to the end of it's service life as is most of the medium to heavy wheeled fleet, the MoD has procured the Man Support Vehicle and obviously we need the capability to recovery it, you obviously need to go down the route of commonality of spares etc thats why it's based on the Man chassis. These are not "Extra vehicles" these will in time replace the Foden when it gets withdrawn from service.

I'm surprised you see many Fodens being used in the UK on the public roads as there is a recovery contract in place, unless your on the exercise area.

The new Man SV® is cutting it's teeth extremely well in Afghanistan at the moment, it's turning out to be an outstanding vehicle, definately a leap forward in technology.

Been away from the forum for a bit and saw this thread.

The MAN SV® will take on most other recovery vehicles and beat them. There are bigger (read that lift more) vehicles out there but then with all the additional equiptment and ease of use of the SV® then it puts it above them. It is out in Afghanistan and is getting used. I know how its getting on out there and there are things that are getting improved on as its being used, after all it was urgently required out there, so soon after getting into service so there will be teething problems. Bit overall its well recieved.

The question is as platforms The MAN V HEMTT which is better, it would appear that both are doing well in the conditions of Afganistan, HEMTT A4 the upgraded vershion has the C-15 500hp engine with a Allison 4500SP/5 speed auto compared to the MAN engine and 12 Speed auto. I would be intrested in your opinion as to there performance while on trials. As to the recovery side after looking at a number of different options the UK package to me strikes the right balance without geting into a construction size crane.

It also appears to be a lot more soldier freindly then any of the vershions produced by Oshkosh.

What size crane did the Foden have and make?

The only down side is that there is no room for a crew cab or space to carry the crew from the disabled vehicle, could this be rectifide by relocating CES bins?

At some stage in the next 10 years our armys will start to down size again and these vehicles may come up for auction.

The question is as platforms The MAN V HEMTT which is better, it would appear that both are doing well in the conditions of Afganistan, HEMTT A4 the upgraded vershion has the C-15 500hp engine with a Allison 4500SP/5 speed auto compared to the MAN engine and 12 Speed auto. I would be intrested in your opinion as to there performance while on trials. As to the recovery side after looking at a number of different options the UK package to me strikes the right balance without geting into a construction size crane.

It also appears to be a lot more soldier freindly then any of the vershions produced by Oshkosh.

What size crane did the Foden have and make?

The only down side is that there is no room for a crew cab or space to carry the crew from the disabled vehicle, could this be rectifide by relocating CES bins?

At some stage in the next 10 years our armys will start to down size again and these vehicles may come up for auction.

The SV® does not have a 12 speed gearbox. The SV Cargo variants do, a 12 speed full auto or semi auto gearbox and very good it is as well. The SX variants, which the SV® is based on is a fully auto 6 speed gearbox. Not sure if you are mentioning SV® when you mention lack of room, but SV® has quite a bit of space and seating. The trials team were made up of ex-REME Reccy Mechs and serving, so what went in/on it was supported.

I hear that the Aus Army are looking very closely at MAN trucks at the moment.