'Wartime in the Vale' - Ashdown WW2 Camp, Evesham

Well it was over 100 miles for me. I had booked the Shorland in but with heavy rain forecast (that never happened) I thought better of it & took the boring stuff.

As it was it took 5 hours, of which one hour was spent travelling 3 miles to get past Salisbury.

The highlight for me (yes apart from seeing the weazles & that lot) was when this turned up on Sunday for a few hours. No guns or flags here, a few minor concessions to modernity but pretty original. Particularly when you consider that in 1965 this was re-bodied with a car & used for stock car/banger racing. It is a tribute to the vehicle's design that it withstood all that nonsense & was rebuilt by the present owner from another Humber. I just wonder if any other vehicle, of any type, survived banger racing to be rescued & restored to its original configuration?

DSCF0871.jpg

DSCF0875.jpg

Edited by fv1609

What a good weekend. Well done to Paul and team they even organised good weather. A total of 340 miles. Nice to meet Simon Stolly for the first time Thanks for the beer.

Stopped at Pease Pottage Services for a breather and a cool off met Lauren Child

A cracking weekend. There were a few odd individuals there though:

IMG_4390.jpg

Lots of interesting vehicles there as well:

IMG_4387.jpg

What is this one. Something russian masquarading as German:

IMG_4388.jpg

IMG_4401.jpg

IMG_4406.jpg

IMG_4407.jpg

IMG_4409.jpg

IMG_4410.jpg

IMG_4420.jpg

This is a directors trailer. Cant think of any others i have seen in the UK.

IMG_4422.jpg

Lots of interesting vehicles there as well:

This is a directors trailer. Cant think of any others i have seen in the UK.

IMG_4422.jpg

Hi

Rex Cadman has one for sale at the war and peace show page Price: £2500

303a.jpg

Edited by Niels v

I heard something on the Radio 2 6pm news tonight about a WWII re-enactor at a show at Evesham who was very badly burned when a grenade exploded in his hand?

Anyone know anything about this story and/or who is was?

I heard something on the Radio 2 6pm news tonight about a WWII re-enactor at a show at Evesham who was very badly burned when a grenade exploded in his hand?

Anyone know anything about this story and/or who is was?

From what I've been told by someone who took part in the battle, the guy was removing a pyro that had failed to go off, you can only put that down to bad practice & inadequate training.. the power source should always be removed from a pyro & the ends shorted out before you go anywhere near the the pyrotechnic... no excuse for not observing that one.. the only guy that should remove missfires is the guy who set them, so I take it it was he that got injured... maybe Paul can give you a bit more info... hope HSE don't show too much interest..

I just missed it, but heard much the same. The ambulance on site attended and another from outside then the police and then finally an air ambulance which then took him off. I hear that he had burns to his hands and face. A great shame to end such a good show on such a low note.

You are of course quite right in your description of the correct practices. It then raises the question as to why they were not followed, or, if he was not trained then why was he doing it?

Tim (too)

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
... hope HSE don't show too much interest..

Thats why i havnt posted on it.By the time it gets down the line there will be thousands dead.

running repairs? bored :rofl:

The new higher speeds playing havoc with the hub seals,exploaded a tyre as well.:-D

What a good weekend. Well done to Paul and team they even organised good weather. A total of 340 miles. Nice to meet Simon Stolly for the first time Thanks for the beer.

Stopped at Pease Pottage Services for a breather and a cool off met Lauren Child

I just happenned to be passing and spotted the HMVF tshirt :)

Nice vehicle Chris!

Thats why i havnt posted on it.By the time it gets down the line there will be thousands dead.

Good example.Familly show turns nasty.Whats wrong with Unfortunate accident at military show,Oh silly me it doesnt hint that the familly could of been injured.Wonder if he has ever had a proper job.To say the media give me the raving ache is the understatement of the year.we saw lots of them in Africa flying around waiting for a scrap,but there known as vultures.

utter crap re the paper report the good lady and our two youngest carpet munchers 3 and 5 as well as myself were just about as close to the dingo where the unfortunate incedrent hapened as the public were alowed we saw what hapened and i would simply like to say i wish the chap a speedy recovery and would like to thank all envolved for a very good and friendly event

i was a bit shy so sorry for not saying hi as i just dont know you all

Yes it was an unfortunate accident. Jim did suffer a hand injury and our thoughts are with him and his family as it was a shock for us all. He was due to have an operation on his hand Sunday night but there were more urgent cases & so re-scheduled for tonight (Mon) so I'll should know more tomorrow.

I can confirm that Jim, an ex-officer is a qualified Pyrotechnic and experienced.

The emergency services were excellent, firstly another re-enactor an army medic helped him, followed by the Red Cross in just a few seconds as they were parked at the bottom of the arena, then the Ambulance and it just so happended that the Air Ambulance had been attending another incident nearby, so it made it look a bigger accident that it was.

Jim was his usual self cracking jokes, and asking for a roll-up while the oxygen mask was on!

As Bubba says, a load of cr*p, "5ft"!!! nor was it a grenade as reported elsewhere.

I can confirm that Jim, an ex-officer is a qualified Pyrotechnic and experienced.

Time for a refresher course then... if he had followed the NSP's the pyro wouldn't of gone off in his hand...

Edited by Marmite!!

utter crap re the paper report the good lady and our two youngest carpet munchers 3 and 5 as well as myself were just about as close to the dingo where the unfortunate incedrent hapened as the public were alowed we saw what hapened and i would simply like to say i wish the chap a speedy recovery and would like to thank all envolved for a very good and friendly event

Seems fair. Sound comments.

Unfortunately impressions matter. I work for the gutter press, which is why I was keen to post the link. It just goes to show what a slab of ignorance mixed with misplaced feelings of superiority can do. But in every sense our media has never changed. Journalists, in the main, are a pretty

desperate bunch. Never trust them.

I do hope Jim gets better. Don't think I've met him. But that's far from the point.

MB