Jeep Regulator

Chappers

I've been investigating an intermittent fault on a Ford GPW,The Ammeter was working then not ,the battery would charge sometimes and then not,so I started with the testing of the Dynamo,this seemed to read O.K,so I furthered my investigation to the regulator,cleaning the contacts with a very fine diamond file,still intermittent readings.I then took out the regulator and found that one of the Carbon resistors on the base of the regulator had cracked,this was causing the problem.

Does anyone know if the resistors are available and if so from where.There is a 30 stamped on the one broken and it appears to be around 30ohms.

Anyone got an old jeep regulator for spares??

regards

Steve

I've been investigating an intermittent fault on a Ford GPW,The Ammeter was working then not ,the battery would charge sometimes and then not,so I started with the testing of the Dynamo,this seemed to read O.K,so I furthered my investigation to the regulator,cleaning the contacts with a very fine diamond file,still intermittent readings.I then took out the regulator and found that one of the Carbon resistors on the base of the regulator had cracked,this was causing the problem.

Does anyone know if the resistors are available and if so from where.There is a 30 stamped on the one broken and it appears to be around 30ohms.

Anyone got an old jeep regulator for spares??

regards

Steve

Hi Mine has also packed in after Normandy trip mine constantly charges at 55Amps so sent this away for repair only place i could find was Cox electrical not got it back yet but seem friendly enough only sent it last week

http://www.coxautomotiveelectrics.co.uk/

Hope this helps Tony

Where abouts in country are you? I know agood place just south of London.

As for resistors, Maplin's do a wide range, trouble is the wattage you have to cope with

I'm in the Midlands(Solihull),

I have used conductive silver paint and stuck the resistor back together secured it with the 2 screws and it's working fine.How long it lasts is another issue!!!!!

Regards

Steve

Cheers Ash ,I'm contemplating getting a new regulator so if the resistor I've repaired fails I can replace it without having to wait for it in the post. The other alternative is to replace the insides of the Reg with a modern day 40amp regulator from a mini.I've been told that they fit inside the case!!.

Regards

Steve