Page 253 of 255 FirstFirst ... 153203243251252253254255 LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,530 of 2549

Thread: WW1 Thornycroft restoration

Default Re: WW1 Thornycroft restoration

Thanks Gordon.

It seems anything is possible now, problem being knowing that the gizmo exists to solve the problem!

Regards
    Doug

2. Advertisement

What a great job on the fuel tank so far, I am sure the result will be more than perfect! I was lucky with the tank on the Peugeot as it was in a fair condition. I only had to seal it with a high quality two component sealer which seems to hold up fine.

Regards
    Marcel

I just visited the Commercial Transport museum in Leyland. I see they have the model of J made by Thornycroft and which was I think on display at the Science Museum some years ago.

The museum is quite dark so I had to use the flash which created a little reflection.
    Some say the cup is half empty, while others say it is half full. However, in my opinion both are wrong. The real problem is the cup is too big.

Winner - "Best non-bus" award. Seaton bus rally August 1997.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon_M View Post
    Little glue-on plastic numbers for use on patterns Doug, available in a range of sizes as you may expect. regards Gordon
    Yes, although these were white metal.
    https://www.artisanfoundry.co.uk/pro...roducts_id=205

We are fortunate that we know what all of the casting marks should be, so we try to put them on when possible.

Anywhere between Falkirk and Aberdeen, depending on the day ...

Quote Originally Posted by QL Driver View Post
    Yes, although these were white metal.
    https://www.artisanfoundry.co.uk/pro...roducts_id=205

We are fortunate that we know what all of the casting marks should be, so we try to put them on when possible.
    My employers were cheapskates and used plastic - foundry and pattern work was may day job for many years. When you have mastered 'oddsides' you had to move on to the much trickier 'drawbacks'

Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    What a great job on the fuel tank so far, I am sure the result will be more than perfect!
    Thanks Marcel. This is certainly the toughest lorry we have tackled so far as we have been so short of parts and those that we have are pretty ropy. I shall be pleased to see the tank installed!

On that front, we are shortly going to need the tank straps to hold it down. However, those that we have are somewhat past it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN6818.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	153.9 KB 
ID:	128482

Fortunately, the end fittings can be salvaged.

Name:	DSCN6819.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	128483

Rivet heads taken off with the angle grinder and then the rivets were punched out.

Name:	DSCN6821.JPG 
Size:	153.1 KB 
ID:	128484

A good wire brushing and a die run up the thread soon brought them back. The straps are just a plain flat strip of steel with holes for the rivets.

Name:	DSCN6822.JPG 
Size:	142.7 KB 
ID:	128485

Name:	DSCN6823.JPG 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	128486

All ready to bend to shape and cut to length once the tank is soldered up.

Name:	DSCN6824.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	157.8 KB 
ID:	128487

Steve

Hi Tim,

I was very interested to see the pics of the Leyland model. A couple of things stood out in particular on this early J type, firstly the leather seat cushions, which was a surprise and also, all the driver's controls being finished in black. I am assuming that this is an accurate representation, having been built by Thornycrofts themselves ? Although the shape of the radiator top looks a bit odd to me ?

Whilst on the subject of leather I have convinced myself from studying photos, that the canopy straps were originally fitted with leather ends sewed on to the webbing straps, these had buckles half way up the leather portion and were thus attached to the radiator brush guard, allowing the straps to be quickly removed to raise the cab. The model has leather ends but no webbing straps, perhaps webbing was difficult to find in that scale.

I noted the silencer is visible in the mirror beneath the model, which I'm sure did not escape your attention !

Regards
    Tomo
    Last edited by Tomo.T; 14-08-2017 at 19:45. Reason: Confusion of Goslings

I suspect that there is some licence with the model although it may be of the design intent. Seat material might well have been of leather early in the war but changing to canvas towards the end. However, I don't have definitive evidence either way. The US army lorries generally seem to have leather upholstery but that may be due to better availability over there. On the other hand, all of the straps I have seen have been of leather so I am surprised to hear of a composite construction with webbing. It is all intrigueing and I should be very pleased to see some firm evidence!

I would be very surprised if the controls were black. Certainly, after the first repaint, they would have been 'service colour'. A second colour makes efficient production that much more difficult and if they did it, I can't see them doing it for long.

This is all guesswork but it is an interesting puzzle! As an aside, I wonder how many of these models were made? I am sure that I have seen one at Duxford and one at the IWM London as well as an AA gun lorry version over the years. Unless of course, this one keeps moving about!

Steve

Hi Steve,

Close inspection of the Pic enlarged from Tim's excellent book, of the lady painters at Thornycrofts will reveal what I mean.
    There are pointed ends to the straps, (not seen on Webbing) and a clear dividing line between the darker leather ends and the lighter webbing straps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thornycroft 51a - Copy_zpsfhocpq1f.jpg  

Also, just visible in this pic is the Drivers Instruction Plate on the end of the fuel tank. It is printed in white on a dark background contrary to expectations, perhaps showing up less than a white plate? The seat is unfortunately not visible and the jury is still out on whether that steering wheel is black or not !

Page 253 of 255 FirstFirst ... 153203243251252253254255 LastLast

Thread Information