Page 249 of 249 FirstFirst ... 149199239247248249
Results 2,481 to 2,487 of 2487

Thread: WW1 Thornycroft restoration

Default Re: WW1 Thornycroft restoration

It is interesting that you should ask that one Andy, as Barry has just very kindly printed the patterns for the silencer ends for us. This is an original, photographed many years ago.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Exhaust End_2c.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	171.3 KB 
ID:	127584

Name:	Exhaust End_3c.jpg 
Size:	184.9 KB 
ID:	127585

And these are the patterns and core boxes.

Name:	DSCN3806.JPG 
Size:	231.1 KB 
ID:	127581

Name:	DSCN3807.JPG 
Size:	204.5 KB 
ID:	127582

Name:	DSCN3812.JPG 
Size:	211.6 KB 
ID:	127583

They are super objects and will do the job nicely. However, their surfaces have a definite texture to them which will allow the sand to get a 'key' and make them difficult to remove. Barry recommends 'Pattern Coat' ( http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/#!/p...at-primer.html ) which he applied to the throttle quadrant to such good effect. It builds well and with a rub down took out the printing lines nicely. Father has just bought some and I will have a go with it shortly.

Steve

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bill View Post
    I However, their surfaces have a definite texture to them which will allow the sand to get a 'key' and make them difficult to remove. Barry recommends 'Pattern Coat' ( http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/#!/p...at-primer.html ) which he applied to the throttle quadrant to such good effect. It builds well and with a rub down took out the printing lines nicely. Father has just bought some and I will have a go with it shortly.
    I keep meaning to get some of that. I am actually printing patterns at the moment (machine tool parts) and I have been using "knifing putty" to fill the texture to good effect. It comes under a variety of names (Spat-o-Rapid is one, and Halfords sell a variant. My current tube is https://www.spraygunsdirect.co.uk/3m....0Cf4Xyk0.dpbs which makes it sound likr something for holding windows in)

We have done a bit more this weekend in the shape of the silencer and fuel tank. I went to the railway on Sunday where I was able to use a nice set of bending rolls. I had previously cut a piece of steel for the silencer (from a bit found in the garage, hence the surface rust!) and the rollers soon made short work of it.

Name:	DSCN6694.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	137.9 KB 
ID:	127643

I just need to rivet the seam now.

Name:	DSCN6695.JPG 
Size:	173.6 KB 
ID:	127644

Next job was to bend the fuel tank. My good friend Adrian had very kindly cut me a piece of zintec sheet (zinc plated steel) to the right shape and I had spent some time marking the beginning and the end of each bend with a black felt pen. This proved to be a very valuable action. Now, the first bend was too tight for the rollers but, as I have previously posted, I made a bending jig with a piece of scaffold tube and some timber. This worked remarkably well.

Name:	DSCN6696.JPG 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	127645

Name:	DSCN6698.JPG 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	127646

Then into the rollers. Actually, I was so intent on the job that I forgot to take a pic of the first bend but this is the second. We fed the sheet through the rolls almost to the line and then wound the rear roll up as far as it would go. The rolls were a perfect size for this job so at that point, we turned the handle a little until the other line went between the rolls before taking of the pressure and pulling the sheet out.

Name:	DSCN6699.JPG 
Size:	166.5 KB 
ID:	127647

A trial fit with the aid of some toolmakers clamps looked very promising so we put it back for the final bend which was done the same way.

Name:	DSCN6701.JPG 
Size:	123.1 KB 
ID:	127648

Name:	DSCN6703.JPG 
Size:	158.9 KB 
ID:	127649

Name:	DSCN6705.JPG 
Size:	153.0 KB 
ID:	127650

Name:	DSCN6706.JPG 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	127651

We had to have a couple of goes at it to get it in the right place but then Adrian and Matt tried the clamps again.

Name:	DSCN6708.JPG 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	127652

It all looks very nice.

Name:	DSCN6709.JPG 
Size:	132.5 KB 
ID:	127653

Now all I have to do is drill 200 holes in it, tin it and rivet it all together!

Many thanks to Adrian and Matt for making a job which really concerned me remarkably easy. You need your friends in this hobby!

Steve

Steve,

Would the silencer tube be a straight overlap or would the edge not have joggled to achieve a smooth round external appearance?

Are you going to remove the Zintec coating from the edges of the petrol tank sheet before you attempt to solder it all together?

Barry.
    www.dennisfire.co.uk - Dennis from 1913

To be honest, Barry, I am not sure how the silencer was put together. I cut the steel to allow the ends to be hooked in opposite directions to interlock but that is looking difficult to do and I am told that it would be unlikely at this period. I am thinking along the lines of a straightforward lap joint with rivets but, now that you mention it, the end could have been joggled to give a circular interior. I may have to make a tool to do it. Further thought required!

In the fuel tank, I shall just clean the steel before tinning and not worry about the zinc. It will solder well enough, I am sure. I will tin both sides of each joint before closing the rivets and then simply warm it with the gas torch and feed in a bit more solder if necessary. The proper stuff made of lead this time!

Steve

I have been told to put the sheet into the rollers diagonally along both diagonals before rolling the final curve, this would break the straight ends. Haven't tried it yet but it makes sense to me.

Regards
    Marcel

I have not heard that one before but I can see what you are doing. I am just going to trim the flat bit off as I have made it all overlength anyway!

Steve

Page 249 of 249 FirstFirst ... 149199239247248249

Thread Information