Becketts On Tour In Normandy

OK folks as been a long week so now catching up:sweat: Will post pictures up which will mainly be done tomorrow but..

The most important picture first - taken on the rain swept Arromanche....

SDC11573.jpg

They were British Ranger re-enactors on the beach (Normandy 44) and they were given the order to stand to attention. The French soldier who was their just to reflect - snapped to attention when the re-enactors did, if was finely tuned.

SDC11467-1.jpg

St Mere Eglise

104_0857.jpg

104_0818.jpg

104_0740.jpg

104_0915.jpg

104_1010.jpg

104_0728.jpg

We finely made it to Arramanche on D-Day at about 21:00. What is nice about France this time of year is that the evening are so light because of the extra hour. It was wet and windy.

When we walk up the street that is full of bars and resturants it was very rowdy - the US area was very quite and civillised. That was the usual British 'noise' coming from one bar. I said to the kiddies 'yep, you can tell that the British are here...' we got to the bar where all of the noise and shouting was coming from and we discovered the bar full of - (see picture below)

SDC11563.jpg

I nearly wet myself laughing as it was full of vet having one hell of time!! It was a great moment and went and shock hands with them and told them to keep the noise down as there were some 'Yanks' trying to get some sleep.............at the other end of the invasion beaches!!!!!!!

SDC11566.jpg

SDC11573.jpg

This was the only picture we could get of the banner as all batteries were flat by them. Snapper told me to go and take as many snaps as I could so I went and bought a brand new 10meg camera..........which flipping well didn't work - gutted.

You know you come across some special moments that you just can't plan? This is exactly what happened whilst we posed for the picture. A veteran and his daughter stood there waiting to pass after we had taken the picture. They read the banner and then came over to talk with us to see what it was all about. I explained exactly what we had done and why we had done it and exactly the sort of people who donated.

This gentleman was clearly very moved. The most extraordinary thing happened, he ask me for every one's address so that he could write a personal letter of thanks to everyone of us. I told him this wasn't at all necessary and it is us who thank you. He looked me square in the eyes and said 'son we done what we done for you and we would do it again, take that back to all of your members and never forget us'. Ever seen a 41 one year old man cry?

This gentleman was clearly very moved. The most extraordinary thing happened, he ask me for every one's address so that he could write a personal letter of thanks to everyone of us. I told him this wasn't at all necessary and it is us who thank you. He looked me square in the eyes and said 'son we done what we done for you and we would do it again, take that back to all of your members and never forget us'. Ever seen a 41 one year old man cry?

Jack

Thats wonderful Jack. Really quite moving. But who was the 41 year old guy who was crying?

Tim (too)

You know you come across some special moments that you just can't plan? This is exactly what happened whilst we posed for the picture. A veteran and his daughter stood there waiting to pass after we had taken the picture. They read the banner and then came over to talk with us to see what it was all about. I explained exactly what we had done and why we had done it and exactly the sort of people who donated.

That is very moving indeed Jack, reduced me to tears just reading it. I always feel emotional talking to veterans, we met some whilst visiting Point Du Hoc, R-cubed explained about the OMOTB campaign on here and that we had donated, they were all very thankful for it and thanked us all for supporting them (they also said that they had yet to receive the money promised from the Government :argh:)

That is very moving indeed Jack, reduced me to tears just reading it. I always feel emotional talking to veterans, we met some whilst visiting Point Du Hoc, R-cubed explained about the OMOTB campaign on here and that we had donated, they were all very thankful for it and thanked us all for supporting them (they also said that they had yet to receive the money promised from the Government :argh:)

Just team work from us all.

Very moving