Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Commer Q4 controls

Default Re: Commer Q4 controls

Hope this helps. Publications covering the military Q4 variants are:

User Handbook - WO Code No. 17823

Servicing Schedule - WO Code No. 13616

Parts list - WO Code No.17739

Various instructions, descriptions & mods are covered in EMER WHEELED VEHICLES H 150 - H 159, with variants from /1 to /7

Clive Elliott

Always wanted old British Army publications of any period (the older the better) eg AC, ACI, AESP, AO, COSA, CR, DCI, EMEC, EMEI, EMER, EMPL, EMPS, ER, JSP, LoC, LTI, MAOS, MRA, RAOS, REA, VAOS, WMTI, etc, Army & WO Coded publications in paper or fiche.

Good luck Mister Socks,
    The Q4 is a great truck , bit thirsty, but incredibly powerful.
    Used to own one of the SXF reg AFS personnel carriers. I did have a lot of trouble with the control box and charging circuit, but , if I remember rightly , the control box was similar, if not the same as, some of the old Morris car range.

They look and act like a real vintage army truck should!!

Give us a number as soon as you can, a few of us will have some idea of it's history.
    Best Wishes,Mike.

Hi Mike,
    Many thanks for that, it would be good to find out a bit of the vehicles history. The registration is 485 ELM, I have the dvla v5 which I have just sent off, and have found a couple of old tax discs and what appears to be the remains of some log sheets in the cab when the truck was still in service. Let me know if you need engine/chassis numbers etc and I'll try to decipher them!
    You made an interesting point about the control box, my truck has another control box piggybacked onto the original (the replacement is similar to those fitted onto most 60's cars), so its obviously a weak point!
    I'm going to have another attempt at getting the engine to turn over off the starter, the instructions that Clive Elliot posted seem to show a seperate ignition switch next to the light switch which mine doesnt have although I am probably being stupid. Hopefully its the extra bit ontop of the light switch itself.
    Will report back when I get any joy!
    Thanks again

Rich

Rich, according to the Holliss & Thompson book, 485 ELM (chassis no 38A5787) was stationed at Barnstaple & was used as a bridging parts carrier. It was sold at British Car Auctions Aug 1988.

I have some video footage of a massive CD exercise that took place on Devon/Cornwall border in 1956. When I get a chance I'll see if I can spot yours.

As regards the data I have put up, bear in mind that was for the many military versions.
    Last edited by fv1609; 09-06-2009 at 13:14.
    Clive Elliott

Always wanted old British Army publications of any period (the older the better) eg AC, ACI, AESP, AO, COSA, CR, DCI, EMEC, EMEI, EMER, EMPL, EMPS, ER, JSP, LoC, LTI, MAOS, MRA, RAOS, REA, VAOS, WMTI, etc, Army & WO Coded publications in paper or fiche.

Hi Clive,
    Many thanks for that, its nice to start getting a bit of history together for the old truck. I'll try and scan the tattered remains of the log sheet that I found in the cab, I can make out parts of it including a 125 mile road test which may go some way towards explaining the sky high (for these) mileage!
    The farmer I bought the truck from said he'd had it for over 20 years which would tie up with the auction date, and the last time he used it was driving round the village with his pregnant wife. his daughters now at university so its not been used for a year or two...
    Had some success with regards to starting it as well, turns out the big nob in the middle of the headlight switch that says 'on' is the ignition switch. Well I never claimed to be a brainiac
    Just waiting for the battery to charge before carrying on, maybe its time to start a restoration thread!
    Thanks again for your help, and best of luck trying to spot 485 ELM on your film!
    Cheers

Rich

They look and act like a real vintage army truck should!!

Remember though it is not and never has been an ex military truck!!
    It was supplied to the AFS

Just like Green Goddesses, which were used by the military at times of "National" emergency, and if the Russians had started to lob the man made sunshine at us, i would of been surprised if the military wouldnt of been involved with them then as well.
    They still have a military connection, and are a unique part of history, and worthy enough to grace the boards of this fine forum!
    Previously owned: Land Rover 109 FFR, Humber Pig MK1 fv1611b & 1 Ton Brockhouse Trailer and Austin Gypsy ex AFS Police Column vehicle.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye, who cheer when soldier lads march by, Sneak home and pray youll never know the hell where youth and laughter go.

(2nd Lt. Siegfried Sassoon, Military Cross. Poet and later a pacifist.)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Elsdon View Post
    Just like Green Goddesses, which were used by the military at times of "National" emergency, and if the Russians had started to lob the man made sunshine at us, i would of been surprised if the military wouldnt of been involved with them then as well.
    They still have a military connection, and are a unique part of history, and worthy enough to grace the boards of this fine forum!
    I wouldn't have thought the Army would need to do that Adam. The AFS Commers had their specific roles & the Army ons had theirs. My maths is not too good but there were large numbers of Commers in the batches:

00 BH 01 to 42 BH 52
    44 BH 01 to 54 BH 00

At least one served in the Falklands.
    Clive Elliott

Not forgetting the 77/86/88BP range, Q4's with winch tippers!
    Mike.

Hi I am about to pick up a q4 and wouldlike to know more about this truck the reg is RYX 44

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information