Commer Q4 controls

mister-socks

Question

Hi All,

I'm new here so please accept my apologies for being almost completely stupid.....

Anyway, I have just taken delivery of a Commer Q4 dropside, ex AFS, that hasnt been run for approximately 20 years. I have restored a few classic cars and motorcycles in the past and have a reasonable grasp of mechanics, and always fancied getting an old lorry.

Well now theres one in the yard and I'm completely flummoxed. Basically, could anyone tell me how to start it? The dash centre console has oil pressure/fuel etc on the left and speedo on right. Top centre is a pull switch with P on it, below this are three more (C presumably choke, another illegible one and one with S,) is this the pull starter like a morris minor? In front of the steering wheel is another panel with a small toggle switch that doesnt do anything except make the amp meter quiver slightly, and hazard/indicator switches.

If anyone could shine a light on how I could attempt to start it I'd be eternally greatful. I've turned the engine over on the starting handle and the oil is nice and clean.

Sorry for being a nuisance, hope someone can help!

Cheers

Rich

21 answers to this question

p=panel light The illedgible one may be hand throttle S=start

It may be advisable to crack open the fuel union on the carb inlet and pump fuel up till it sqirts out then tighten union and prime up to fill carb. check for voltage at coil if no voltage with ignition on then put live feed to ign switch side of coil. pour about a half an eggcup full of fresh fuel down middle of carb then turn over, this nearly always works but stand back away from engine just in case of flying fanbelt ect. Good reliable engine so should run . Best of luck.

I n' had not seen l' opening of your report on the restoration of tone camion.

Excuse me for my spoken, is the translation by YAHOO! BABEL FISH,

I am French and I do not speak at all your langue.

Good continuation for the restoration.

Stephane to France

Having now figured out how to post pictures on here, here are a couple of pics of the dash/switchgear on the Commer. If anyone could decipher them I'd be very thankful!

Off to collect eggs again now, this forum is very addictive. How am I going to start restoring this truck when I have already spent ages on here???:)

P1010809.jpg

P1010810.jpg

Hello Rich and welcome to the forum!

I have just been helping Croc (On this forum) with his new acquisition, an ex AFS Bedford RL, That has the ignition switch on the dashboard and the starter button at the rear of the engine cover, in front of the gearstick.

Nice looking trucks Commer Q4's handsome stance to them, with the long bonnet, i havent sat in one, but im sure its easier to get in and out of than the RL!

The mileage on yours looks Galactic! just over 5000 miles, crocs has just over 1800, nice of the Home office to leave them in sheds for future collectors!!

Do you have any history on yours, Croc has a book listing alot of AFS vehicle registrations and where it was stored or used, if you have the Reg number he can tell you what it says!

Good luck with getting it going, fortunately they are simple beasts, just bigger :)

Hope this helps. Publications covering the military Q4 variants are:

User Handbook - WO Code No. 17823

Servicing Schedule - WO Code No. 13616

Parts list - WO Code No.17739

Various instructions, descriptions & mods are covered in EMER WHEELED VEHICLES H 150 - H 159, with variants from /1 to /7

Q404.jpg

Good luck Mister Socks,

The Q4 is a great truck , bit thirsty, but incredibly powerful.

Used to own one of the SXF reg AFS personnel carriers. I did have a lot of trouble with the control box and charging circuit, but , if I remember rightly , the control box was similar, if not the same as, some of the old Morris car range.

They look and act like a real vintage army truck should!!

Give us a number as soon as you can, a few of us will have some idea of it's history.

Best Wishes,Mike.

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for that, it would be good to find out a bit of the vehicles history. The registration is 485 ELM, I have the dvla v5 which I have just sent off, and have found a couple of old tax discs and what appears to be the remains of some log sheets in the cab when the truck was still in service. Let me know if you need engine/chassis numbers etc and I'll try to decipher them!

You made an interesting point about the control box, my truck has another control box piggybacked onto the original (the replacement is similar to those fitted onto most 60's cars), so its obviously a weak point!

I'm going to have another attempt at getting the engine to turn over off the starter, the instructions that Clive Elliot posted seem to show a seperate ignition switch next to the light switch which mine doesnt have although I am probably being stupid. Hopefully its the extra bit ontop of the light switch itself.

Will report back when I get any joy!

Thanks again

Rich

Rich, according to the Holliss & Thompson book, 485 ELM (chassis no 38A5787) was stationed at Barnstaple & was used as a bridging parts carrier. It was sold at British Car Auctions Aug 1988.

I have some video footage of a massive CD exercise that took place on Devon/Cornwall border in 1956. When I get a chance I'll see if I can spot yours.

As regards the data I have put up, bear in mind that was for the many military versions.

Edited by fv1609

Hi Clive,

Many thanks for that, its nice to start getting a bit of history together for the old truck. I'll try and scan the tattered remains of the log sheet that I found in the cab, I can make out parts of it including a 125 mile road test which may go some way towards explaining the sky high (for these) mileage!

The farmer I bought the truck from said he'd had it for over 20 years which would tie up with the auction date, and the last time he used it was driving round the village with his pregnant wife. his daughters now at university so its not been used for a year or two...

Had some success with regards to starting it as well, turns out the big nob in the middle of the headlight switch that says 'on' is the ignition switch. Well I never claimed to be a brainiac :blush:

Just waiting for the battery to charge before carrying on, maybe its time to start a restoration thread!

Thanks again for your help, and best of luck trying to spot 485 ELM on your film!

Cheers

Rich

Just like Green Goddesses, which were used by the military at times of "National" emergency, and if the Russians had started to lob the man made sunshine at us, i would of been surprised if the military wouldnt of been involved with them then as well.

They still have a military connection, and are a unique part of history, and worthy enough to grace the boards of this fine forum! :)

Just like Green Goddesses, which were used by the military at times of "National" emergency, and if the Russians had started to lob the man made sunshine at us, i would of been surprised if the military wouldnt of been involved with them then as well.

They still have a military connection, and are a unique part of history, and worthy enough to grace the boards of this fine forum! :)

I wouldn't have thought the Army would need to do that Adam. The AFS Commers had their specific roles & the Army ons had theirs. My maths is not too good but there were large numbers of Commers in the batches:

00 BH 01 to 42 BH 52

44 BH 01 to 54 BH 00

At least one served in the Falklands.

I wouldn't have thought the Army would need to do that Adam. The AFS Commers had their specific roles & the Army ons had theirs. My maths is not too good but there were large numbers of Commers in the batches:

00 BH 01 to 42 BH 52

44 BH 01 to 54 BH 00

At least one served in the Falklands.

:-D

That's a trip down memory lane !

In 1979/80 I crewed 33BH84 at 7 Armd Wksp - a remarkable beast to say the least. We broke down towing a 27KVA genny and a mate hitched another Q4 to the front and inadvertently hit 55mph on a downhill stretch of the range road - our engine was dead so we had no power steering or brakes !

My mate was trying to keep the wheel straight and stamping on the brake pedal while I was heaving on the hand brake with two hands ....... All in all an experience I'd rather not repeat :shocked:

:sweat: