1st Big Expedition - A grand day out

simonm

After two years of steady preparation, both the Saracen and me mentally, I finally took her out on a long journey! Not just there and back again to the local lay-by, just 1/2 mile away and no hills but the long way round from just on top of the hill above Lenham to Faversham for the car show where she is now waiting parked up at the ATC HQ on Preston Street!

Friday the 7th May was the start of the big journey with the 1st stage of the drive down to Doddington, all down hill and a turn around so the right side was facing the petrol pump for a fill up, 70 litres - just about past the top of the reserve and over my allowance for the month, then on to Eastling school where the kids were looking forward to our arrival. This was the real moment of truth in that Sherry would be going up a few steep hills - no problem! 1st gear and taking Richard Farant's advice on using the rev's don't stress the engine and especially the flywheel!

Got to the school, into the playground and out with the drip tray - there's a hole in the bottom so any drips come out pretty quick! Barely a drip!

Then 103 kids (in stages) swarming over it, and having a great time with the clansman setup, I've now got 5 working headsets. They loved the experience and though its not quite WWII, they are doing that period in their class so a good addition to normal teaching.

Then on to the "small drive for car, giant expedition for a 12 ton armoured vehicle" the drive from Eastling to Belmont where she would be displayed at Belmont's open day cum spring fayre. We made it and she performed fantastically! Up some steep hills (Haywards Hill, anybody know it) down into lowest gear and sat there at 1 mile an hour while she pootled up.

Two glorious days with a huge number of very interested visitors, quite a few much older people who were fascinated by the Bren gun and remembered it and a couple of ex-army, one who had been in a Saracen when it was blown up by an IRA Mine. He walked away from it! And one person with an Irish accent who walked away grumbling that he'd seen a few too many Saracens

Sunday late afternoon was the next part of the expedition, driving to my brother's in Faversham where the Sarry would stay until going in for the car display. 1st off a top up of the fluid flywheel, a litre but I think a lot of that got spilt as it went straight into the drip tray! Again a brilliant drive, up hill down dale and a lot of learning about slowing down, taking corners - its a whole different way of driving!

The saddest bit was on the A251, even pulling in every mile - that's every 3 minutes the jokers in the cars seemed to take it as a personal affront that they had to slow from 50 down to 23 for such a short time. It seems that the bigger and newer the car, the greater the perceived insult! Sad! Against that there were a few who had smiles and waves and thought it was fantastic to see the old girl on the road.

Today (Friday 15th) was getting her into the middle of Faversham and parking up ready for Sunday's car show. Again she behaved brilliantly, A251 onto the A2 and slowed a part of Faversham down, down to the centre and stopped a goodly amount of traffic while I backed into the side turning next to the drill hall. A brilliant bit of reversingdespite the scowl of the man in the Swale Heating van who had to wait all of 3 minutes!

Faversham car show is going to be a challenge, then its a 10 mile drive home! I'll post the rest of the story and some images but must collect kids now!

Some pictures from our little expedition.

P1030658.JPG

Last practice before setting off. The front plate is missing - being painted and so I can dip into teh engine compartment to see if there are any major leaks. Geoff my son in the turret, watching for low slung branches and ready to do hand signals.

P1030686.JPG

Filling up - well, not quite, more a case of putting enough in so its over the reserve.

P1030687.JPG

The armoured car V child strength test!

P1030706.JPG

P1030710.JPG

At Belmont, gently sinking into the highly manicured lawn. The Head Gardener had suggested that doing trips round the lawn might not be appropriate.

P1030723.JPG

And the band plays on.

On being asked by one credulous youth why we had an armoured car, I explained - I hope convincingly - that it was in preparation for the expected Zombie pig attacks that would be a result of pandemic swine flu. One never knows!

P1030749.JPG

Early Sunday 17th and setting up for the show, but 1st a bit of fun and seeing as the streets were empty a still from my new film "The Day of the Truffles"

P1030754.JPG

Then everybody started to arrive 1st off being a forward control Land Rover one of 3 military vehicles out of over 200 exhibits the third being a military motorbike looked WWII - a V engined low slung dispatch riders bike.

P1030758.JPG

The Air Training Corps and Army Cadet Force makimg the most of their armour.

ll in all a great day while I let the kids climb on the outside at Belmont - a soft landing in case of falling, here she was buttoned down and kids let in under strict control and really it was 10 / 11 years or under and where parents watched on.

I had two ex Saracen drivers, one more recent who advised on the risk of drive shaft problems. The other, ex REME chap who worked on them in the 1960s then had to learn to drive so he could test them. A trip right back down memory lane for him and almost managed to get into the drivers seat.

A very busy day, exhausting in fact and topped off with a request " Would the Sarry be available for a photo shoot with the UK National Ladies Airsoft Team for their Calendar" I almost asked him how much I would have to pay! By the way, my answer was of course yes!

Then the real challenge of the day. A final top up of the fluid flywheel, a check round everything, 5 stamps in each gear to prime the preselectors, yes it does kick back. but I'm ready! Started up on the 1st turn! and off we go for the drive back home. Its uphill all the way but she behaved magnificently! Got home, drip tray under and not a drop to be seen!

With regard to the comment furter above - grinning ear to ear all the way back!

Again a few quibles about the awful standard of driving seen from fortunately a minority. Admittedly the Faversham road through Doddington to Lenham is not the widest, though routinely used by farm vehicles, but don't these idiot drivers realise that cutting up a 12 ton armoured vehicle means they might die! I have a 4x4 driving ahead with hazards on, there's a flashing beacon on the Sarry, I'm driving no more than 25 mph and stopping whenever it is safe, I have a rear look out, but even then I had to swerve 3 times to avoid total idiots. Swerve in a Saracen YES! Next trip I'll mount a video camera on the turret.

I suppose any impact would be knock for knock so perhaps I shouldn't worry? I've got some spare paint!

Overall a fantastic expedition and one I hope to repeat. I think W&P might be a bit too far but possibly Detling or Headcorn? Though the latter is when we had hoped to go on holiday - maybe I need to get my priorities right?

Edited by simonm

You need to get rid of the reflecting license plates and get good old black and silver plates on there, you can always stick another huge reflector on the back if you are worried about visibility. A video camera mounted up top might not be a bad idea, for when some fool tries to argue with a front wheel .....?

There were some range target Saracens sitting locally to me, but really didn't fancy trying to resurrect them

Gordon

Edited by Gordon_M
speelung

Again a few quibles about the awful standard of driving seen from fortunately a minority. Admittedly the Faversham road through Doddington to Lenham is not the widest, though routinely used by farm vehicles, but don't these idiot drivers realise that cutting up a 12 ton armoured vehicle means they might die!

I have had similar problems myself with a WOT2, and always within 1 mile of home. Also, why is it nearly always a BMW driver involved?