FWD Model B Gallery

As there are several HMVF members who are restoring FWD Model B trucks i thought that i should start a thread showing pictures of the survivors. I estimated the number of survivors as being in the region of 40 worldwide, but every now and again another one comes out the woodwork, so i wonder if that figure will grow.

The ex WD one at Duxford is probably the best known in the UK. Sadly it has not been run in years.

1.jpg

This one was restored by a Mr Harris. It has a slightly longer British built post war chassis on which the ex military parts were fitted. I believe that it lives in Bordon, but has not been seen for many years:

FWDHarris.jpg

It seems that Australia is the place to find them though. This one is owned by a man in his 80's who still plans to restore it.

DSCN1124.jpg

Another one in Australia. This one was rescued for restoration by a museum, but the project has now sadly stalled.

BobMoseley4-1.jpg

Another Australian one, this time built under licence by Premier:

PremierFWD2-1.jpg

PremierFWD3.jpg

This one used to work in an Australian lead mine. Abandoned and robbed of parts it is now in a museum:

north_us.jpg

It is however, in much better shape than this Australian one:

north_us_1.jpg

Many thanks to everyone who provided the photos.

Tim (too)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another survivor in the UK was this one. Locked in an Oxford shed for many years, it was sold last year and is currently under restoration as a fairground lorry.

DSCN2126.jpg

This Mitchell build FWD sold on E bay last year:

93af_12-1.jpg

One of the most remarkable finds were two ex Movie company ones that were sold at the Furrer collection in Colorado (?). One went to Gordon Clare, the other to Hayes Otoupalik.

FWDGordonClare.jpg

1918_FWD_belonging_to_Gordon_Clare_.jpg

There is a similar one unrestored at Brent Mullins place. Not sure if it is one of the ex Furrer ones.

FWD5.jpg

Then of course there is the recently finished ex US Army Attwater one, built by Mitchell

DSCN0269.jpg

Finally (for tonight), there is ours which was built by FWD:

IMG_3592.jpg

Here are some more. The first three (or four) all live in California belong to the same chap. I am uncertain about one of them as it has the rad of a model B, yet the engine has been relocated. It may be a bitzer.

RonsotherB-1.jpg

RonsBdump-1.jpg

The bitzer is in front and another Model b behind:

RonsoldBs-1.jpg

Here is one in the UK at Wroughton. Now hidden from public view.

Mail0054.jpg

And finally (for today) the last military Model b made. It came of the production line and went into the company museum. it still has the original colour scheme on it. The FWD badge was stolen from it in the 1920's.

Clintonville.jpg

Interesting to see the one at Wroughton Tim, i've wanted to go there for years because of the interesting items there (early inflatable Lifeboat, the fantastic looking Sno-cat from the 1958 trans-antarctic expedition, prototype Hovercraft etc). It looks like they allow groups round - maybe time for an HMVF group trip?

Here are a couple more. First one at a Canadian war museum (i forget which - someone here will know):

truck.jpg

Another UK one - ex WD. This is one that was restored by Tom Redburn but has since disappeared off the circuit. We have suspicions as to where it is now, but nothing to verify it.

Mail0014.jpg

Interesting to note that there appears to be more model Bs still about than the FWD su-coe that came along much later. I have been researching the su-coe and its life with showmen and circus operators. At present I am only aware of 2 being restored, both, hopefully out and about in 2010. During my research I have heard stories about a few more, but so far I have not seen them, so they remain on the `pending` list

• 4 weeks later...

What a super wagon! What is it's story?

Is the churn plumbed into the water system somehow? I have seen pictures of them mounted on the running board in the mexican desert but couldn't quite work out how they are used.

Cheers!

Steve

he milk cans were used to store water and food supplies during the Mexican campaign. The can in the picture is a original that I did find at a local fleemarket($20.00) after carefully stripping of the white paint out came the orginal color aqs seen on the picture.

Now that's interesting. It has an over-length starting handle. Whilst I am certain that ours is the same as supplied by the factory, I also hold the very firm opinion that it is too short. Someone else has obviously reached the same conclusion!

Is this the same wagon that you posted on 10th June? Please can you tell us a bit about it and how it ended up in the museum? It's great to see another survivor!

Steve

Steve

Edited by Old Bill
Further thought!

That is what I had to start with, working outside in the desert (very windy and cold most of the time) and depending on donations only. I had to bring my own tools down from Canada (3000 miles). Lucky for me I did find Tim who was a great help with information. Also the truck was more or less complete. I personaly did spend about 2700 hrs and did have help from park rangers and other campers who volunteered. The Seegrave (FWD) Co was not helpfull at all and were even rather rude to former employees who had been at the park and tried to get me some help. A local school did make some parts for me so did a local black smith and a RV repair shop. Cash layout came to about $5750.

AR000203.JPG

AR000303.JPG

AR000603.JPG

AR001803.JPG

I take it the levers on the side of the transfer case are to operate dog clutches to allow one to select two wheel or four wheel drive? or did they have hi-lo range ability ?

Fantastic that you were able to save and preserve a piece of history .

Lucky for me I did find Tim who was a great help with information.

Thanks for all that. I am beginning to put two and two together now and getting closer to four!

The two levers on the transfer case move dog clutches to lock the centre differential. No high or low ratio on this wagon. Just three speeds!

Steve