Leyland Daf Diff Locker?

Superdave

Does any one know if the Leyland Daf 4x4 actually has a diff locker or does the switch on the dash just actuate something on the transfecase?? I read somewhere that the truck is in full time four wheel drive and you activate the Diff lock when the truck starts to slip. I looked at the axles but I do not really see if there is some kind of line/wire to actually lock up the Diff or Diffs on the truck.

Does any one know if the Leyland Daf 4x4 actually has a diff locker or does the switch on the dash just actuate something on the transfecase?? I read somewhere that the truck is in full time four wheel drive and you activate the Diff lock when the truck starts to slip. I looked at the axles but I do not really see if there is some kind of line/wire to actually lock up the Diff or Diffs on the truck.

The difflock button only locks up the transfer box so you still only get 1 front and 1 back wheel spinning when its locked !

So Basically the button on the dash engages the front drive shaft in the transfercase??

No, there is a viscous coulping the same as a Landrover in the transferbox and the button locks that up. Without the diff in, the drive can go to the back or the front axle , whatever loses trackion first .

No, there is a viscous coulping the same as a Landrover in the transferbox and the button locks that up. Without the diff in, the drive can go to the back or the front axle , whatever loses trackion first .

Are you sure it's a viscous coupling?

These limit the speed difference between front to rear props so no need to mechanicaly lock up. I feel fairly sure it's just an open diff with a mechanical locking device.

If it was a viscous centre coupling then it would make sense for the diff lock to act on the rear axle only.

If there's no viscous coupling then a diff lock would be more effective on the centre diff than across an axle. Reason being, it's more likely two wheels on an axle are in the same situation traction wise, and the other axle is more likely to get grip.

Are you sure it's a viscous coupling?

These limit the speed difference between front to rear props so no need to mechanicaly lock up. I feel fairly sure it's just an open diff with a mechanical locking device.

If it was a viscous centre coupling then it would make sense for the diff lock to act on the rear axle only.

If there's no viscous coupling then a diff lock would be more effective on the centre diff than across an axle. Reason being, it's more likely two wheels on an axle are in the same situation traction wise, and the other axle is more likely to get grip.

Your quite right i've just looked in the ASPs,it is a mechical locking diff with drive being splite 33% front 67% rear when not in use.