Jump starting a 24v FFR Landie

Went to move my Landie down the Fort today - first time it would have moved under it's own power since last year. Put 20 litres of petrol in and tried the key after using the hand primer on the fuel pump - it spun and fired twice then the batteries gave up the ghost. So we tried to jump it from another 24v Landie but the jump leads were too short. So on the off-chance we took one battery out of the good one and tried connecting it to the batteries in mine - specifically the front one. All seemed OK - till we turned the key - at which point clouds of smoke poured out of both batteries!! Needless to say we whipped the jump leads off faster than the wind out of a ducks a*se!! Got both my batts at home now to recharge and pray that neither was terminally damaged by the experience.

So - the IMSB question is - what is the correct way to jump-start a 24v Landie (and before anyone asks - No - neither vehicle had the interstart ports fitted.)

Gotta say I got jump started by the AA in the Ferret a while back. He used a regular 12V emergency power-pack and it worked fine connecting it to just one of the Ferret batteries.

He said he has started several commercial vehicles that way.

Neil,

Sounds like your batteries are severely discharged, swapping one battery would be no good as you found out. You need to put a good charge in them both. Normally, just jumpstart with another 24v vehicle in the normal way. Just hope that the batteries have not suffered being discharged over the winter. A boost starter / charger with 24v facility is a useful item.

And on the HMVF duelling feild, the sun glinted menacingly off the bare meatal of the starting hamdles as the two disputants.... :-D

Di have anold ex Feild Cable Party series one. First thing in the morning you had to start it on the handle, choke one swing and off it went. The rest of the day started on the electrics no problem. New battery rebuilt starter, wiring checks, nothing cured the problem. So lived with it. It had belonged to a white witch, and there was a funny tufty thing hanginng on the windscree. I was told it was good luck charm and don't take it out. Being an educated . modern person I took it out. Tehn got stuck had a puncture and lights blew over the next week. Shoved it back in smartly, no futher problems.

Edited by Tony B

• 1 year later...