1942 CRASH TENDER LINCOLNSHIRE AVATION CENTER

CREW BUS LINCOLNSHIRE AVATION CENTER

BALLOUN WINCH DUXFORD

DENTAL UNIT RAF COSFORD

1945 CRASH TENDER ?

GS CARGO ?

Any more around Or WOT 3s

T CORBIN

Tony , the last show I went to in England was Bletchley Park 1998, I am pretty sure there was a WOT1a/1 with an RVT signals body. I will try and find the box of photos I took that weekend.

Attached is a shot of the 1945 Monitor type which is in preservation, I was at RAF Locking 64-66 and we shared the airfield at Weston S Mare with a helicopter firm either Bristol or Westland. We had our own crash trucks on the drome but the civvies had this 45 monitor LYN 48 and an Austin K2 ambulance.

Somewhere in UK there is at least 1 restored WOT3, I saw a photo recently on another group of it; before it was restored I tried to buy it but couldn't secure storage up here, I was going to rebuild it into an RAF fire tender.

Finally there are currently 5 WOT1-WOT1A/1 examples here at Balmullo,

1942 crash tender,

1942 Weeton type crash tender

1944 monitor conversion

1945 Monitor

1942 RAF heavy ambulance which unfortunately is squeezed out of the photo.

TTFN TED

45 monitor lyn.jpg

DSCF0121.jpg

• 2 months later...

Ted,

That's a fascinating collection of models.

I've been interested in RAF vehicles for a long time.

I'm guessing they are 1/76 scale. Is the Austin K2 in the foreground the one by CMSC? I'd be very interested in seeing more photos of your models.

Fyll

On my list of jobs is to master the closeup facility on my new camera, then I will post some shots.

Yes all are 1/76-72 The Red K3 with the trailer pump is CMSC with a trailer pump by BW. The red Alvis Salamander MK6 on the right is from Capricorn models in resin but they haven't been around for many years.

The Fordsons and the Crossley 4x and the Sussex part in view are all scratch built. I have about 500 models that I have built over the last 40 years

TED

Hello all i have just joind the forum and the first thread i came across was with ref to the wot 1a .In early 1978/80 i was part of agroup called THE BURGHCLERE BOYS ,this was agroup of differing age groups and were dedicated to totalrestoration of scrap condition trucks and jeeps .The first waggon that was restored was the wot 1a ,this truck was found in surry on a small holding after it had been used as a film truck in a danny larou film as a german lorry. the reg no is juv 565 it was an airfield coach by duple, but we got it as chassis cab and put a gs body on it to carry a tractor or jeep, the body was scratch built we had it for 10/15 years and never had to strip the engine it was a 1945 model who has got her now?

• 3 weeks later...

There is a WOT1 crew bus in the film 'Titfield Thunderbolt' being used as a Police vehicle. The Bus crashes into it late in the film.

Also, there are several WOT1 crew buses and also a WOA2 used in the 'Dam Busters' film, when they are just going on the actual raid.

The speed of response on this forum sometimes amazes me. Brilliant.

Titfield Thunderbolt picture here (described as WOT3):

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_116405-Fordson-30cwt-WOT3-GS.html

Certainly only looks like a single rear axle - I'll have to watch the film again to make sure!

A WOT1 (a crash tender) here:

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicles.php?make=&model=WOT1

And for Robert, some WOA2s:

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_15101-Ford-WOA2-1941.html

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_182491-Ford-WOA2-1941.html

Edited by Runflat
Hopefully links now work!

Hmm...

5 vehicles taking the crews to the aircraft, 3 of them Ford V8 powered.

The Lancasters had Rolls Royce Merlin engines, but Ford made about half the British Merlin engines so they could be Ford as well. (Rolls-Royce, Ford and Packard made about a third each).

• 3 months later...
Tony , the last show I went to in England was Bletchley Park 1998, I am pretty sure there was a WOT1a/1 with an RVT signals body. I will try and find the box of photos I took that weekend

A WOT1A with house-type van (RAF: Insulated Signals Body, Type F, Mk 3) was found in Kent many years ago (Wheels & Tracks #53, p40). Did this appear on the rally scene?

I also recall reading that a WOT1 ambulance body was found (by Eddie Smith?). Anyone know any more?

• 1 year later...
  • 9 years later...