BBC News item

woa2

There is a bit on the BBC News website this morning that an Armoured Vehicle has been stopped in London. It is a Ferret painted Blue, and alegedly had 6 protestors on it. If you log onto the BBC News, there is a photo. Anyone recognise it?

Shame on them, a big booh to those in the hobby or on the fringes of it, who abuse the privilege of owning armoured vehicles to make political points. Friends suggested some months back that I used my pig on protests about the dictatorial status of the unelected New Forest National Park Authority. Strongly as I feel about it, because it is in effect driving me out of my home, I declined as it discredits the MV movement in the eyes of the authorities of their various kinds.

Political protests could make the authorities very wary of allowing private ownership of such vehicles. I remember that 25 years ago you were not allowed to buy armour if the MOD was the end user, so it had to be imported. The first Ferrets were ex-Hong Kong Police & imported by Mike Hoffman. We don't want to return to that situation or even worse!

Bad news indeed.

Be interesting to see if they get charged with anything. Hard to pretend that they were out for anything else but disruption when they wear RIOT on their helmets and on the front of the vehicle.

Didn't someone take a Ferret to Washington a few years back? (America not Tyne & Wear)

I would have thought the vehicle being blue with the chequering, might be regarded as an accessory to the charge of impersonating police officers, given they are dressed in overalls & helmets suggestive of that.

Or maybe they thought that with fuel consumption like that it won't get very far! Or perhaps secretly they injected abrasives into the dif so that it will shortly grind to a halt!

Doesn't say that now!

"Earlier in the City, police stopped and questioned demonstrators travelling in an armoured vehicle dressed in helmets and overalls.

Police say 11 people have been arrested on suspicion of possessing police uniforms and for road traffic offences. "

Slightly different take on it.

Edited at15:15 as it now says:

"Scotland Yard said 11 people - travelling in a renovated armoured personnel carrier - had been arrested on suspicion of possessing police uniforms."

Edited by Lwt Big Cheese

A friend of mine got done for impersonating a police officer as he had a white faired motorcycle with a fluorescent stripe - just like a garage hack no less!

Just to digress from the thread slightly - I'm amazed at that! I rode round for 20 odd years on bikes tarted up to look like police machines and never got stopped once. (It was the best way to avoid the SMIDSY's) In fact the local m/c training scheme still has its instructors on cop look alikes.

City police are very high on emmisions (I cant spell ok) Also I belive it is still illegal for any vehicle except the Emergancy service to display checkerd markings

Then there must be a hell of a lot of Mini Cooper owners who must be very afraid right now - most of the ones I see have chequered roofs. The rest usually have a union jack on it.

This is pretty bad news indeed. Some idiot has given ammunition to the Government to ban private ownership of armoured military vehicles. Dont doubt it. This is much the same as happened in France two years ago.

Tim (too)

Agreed.. if the idiot who owns it is a member of any of the clubs he should be booted out... he wouldn't last long here:stop:

Looks like reg mark is 523 XUG and is that a replica firearm in the turret by any chance?

Difficulties of having replica firearms in properly structured living history displays is one thing, but here I have every sympathy with the Police for not tolerating the threat of whatever it is or might be. Displayed in a normal street environment is bad enough but in a potential riot situation with world leaders attending is just too much provocation. I hope they get dealt with properly but with the realisation they have nothing to do with the legitimate MV world.

Looks like reg mark is 523 XUG and is that a replica firearm in the turret by any chance?

Difficulties of having replica firearms in properly structured living history displays is one thing, but here I have every sympathy with the Police for not tolerating the threat of whatever it is or might be. Displayed in a normal street environment is bad enough but in a potential riot situation with world leaders attending is just too much provocation. I hope they get dealt with properly but with the realisation they have nothing to do with the legitimate MV world.

Here here ! Lets hope it does not open a can of worms for privately owned armour Clive !

Well, it's taxed.

VEHICLE ENQUIRY Services Provided By DVLA: DVLA

The enquiry is complete

The vehicle details for 523 XUG are:

Date of Liability 01 09 2009

Date of First Registration 04 09 2007

Year of Manufacture 1954

Cylinder Capacity (cc) 0CC

CO2 Emissions 0g/Km

Fuel Type Petrol

Export Marker Not Applicable

Vehicle Status Licence Not Due

Vehicle Colour BLUE

Vehicle Type Approval null

The information contained on this page is correct at the time of enquiry.

Very bad news indeed and will exactly pander to those who don't understand.

At least it wasn't tracked. Can you imagine Met Police armed response teams having to be trained to use the Boys rifle ? I'd like to see a film of them learning to cock the PIAT !

...Regards using reflective marked vehicles on the highway...

If you work within Highway/Motorway areas, or Large Engineering Complexes your vehicle must comply

with EEC Directive Chapter 8 (ECE104) and must be fitted with Amber Beacons,

relective chevrons to rear, and perimeter reflective striping as part of Health and Safety.

That's why my work vehicle is marked thus..... keeps the tailgaters off my back, at least !!

Image063.jpg

Edited by Volksron