GMC CCKW 353 Use by Polish Forces in WW2

riverman

Hello,

My first post on this forum so I'm hoping for a bit of beginners luck... I am currently restoring a GMC CCKW 353 A2 (LWB) and, in common with some other GMC restorers would like to finish it in a different way to the standard US deuce. Not that theres anything wrong with that but I also have a family reason.

My Uncle was a Pole who served in the ETO and I would love to find any written or photographic evidence of Polish forces using the open cab GMCs - I have found and heard some anecdotal evidence but would love to find something concrete. If there is anyone out there who can give me some information or point me in the right direction, I'd love to hear from you.

I've been running the truck as a rolling restoration for a couple of years now but its off the road for serious work now starting at 0900 tomorrow with the rats nest that is the wiring..... (more posts/questions about this anon)

Look forward to hearing from you

Riverman

Gents,

Many thanks for the information, I'll follow the leads up and post any concrete information that I get. Ben - that is a fine looking FWD, wonderful to see such an unusual truck on the scene. Hanno - I had seen that thread a couple of years ago but lost it so many thanks for reintroducing it to me,Thanks again - riverman

these might help riverman proof of the use by the Polish, afraid the markings are not to clear but i have colour charts with markings very much on British designs if can fathom out which is which The truck in the river bed is serving with the 6th sappers company the others are with 23rd transport company

hmvf1.jpg

hmvf2.jpg

hmvf3.jpg

hmvf4.jpg

Thanks for postings those pics here, Les.

I see swb CCKW-352´s and even GMC CCK-353 6x4 Cargo trucks, but no open cabbed CCKW-353 ones.

I think Duncan should apply some artistic license and just go ahead and apply Polish markings on his GMC. Even could go all the way and apply the Italian theatre camouflage scheme of bold standard patterns of Blue-Black over a basic colour of Light Mud!

- Hanno

bet if you turned up at a show with one in Polish markings, somebody will say they never ran them, only the yanks had gmc's!!!!

If I had one, it would be in those colours/markings like a shot!!!

Mark

Edited by chevpol
spelling!!!!!!!

Les - thank you very much for posting the pictures - I haven't seen any of these before and they are an enormous help - I'm more convinced than ever that this is how I want to finish my GMC off at the end of the day.

I have found some design of ETO unit markings on the web so should be able to scale them up to use as a template. the open cab evidence is still a bit elusive although I cant imagine that they weren't used in some form by the Poles.

Just because there aint a photo doesn't mean it didnt happen!

I have been beating myself up a little on the historic accuracy thing but I've come to the view that it is questionable as to what is "accurate" anyway.

Although my truck is a Series 5 it has an early brush guard and a 3 spoke bakelite wheel, french parts, norwegian parts etc etc. Probably not as it rolled off the production line for sure but all part of the history of the vehicle. I apologise to the purists for the heresy but thats my view and its my knuckle skin on the sharp edges!!

I am also very much of the view that the Polish contribution to WW2 has been greatly overlooked and this is a small gesture to help redress the balance. My family connection helps with this opinion too!!

This is great stuff and please keep the suggestions and pictures coming, theres just the small matter of actually restoring the vehicle to tackle before the paint job.

As a wise man once said "a good paint job doesnt get you home"

See you down the road

riverman

I am also very much of the view that the Polish contribution to WW2 has been greatly overlooked and this is a small gesture to help redress the balance.

That's very true, Riverman. Well done.

We've got a number of Polish RAF guys buried here. They are a long way from home but they are not forgotten.

loved the gmc pictures.i know that the polish forces used the dodge wc42 panel radio van. how would i get access to the pictures from the sikorski institute to see if i can find any photos of the wc42. i do have 2 small books of the polish forces vehicles which are very good. lots of pics, even 2 of the wc42 in service!

the open cab evidence is still a bit elusive although I cant imagine that they weren't used in some form by the Poles.

Just because there aint a photo doesn't mean it didnt happen!

Duncan,

If not by the Polish Armed Forces (PSZ) in the West, they could have been used by the Polish People's Army (LWP) in the USSR, as the Soviet Union was supplied with GMCs as well besides Studebakers.

Go for it!

Hanno

Edited by mcspool

Hi Panelvan,

This seems to have started something - would you post the titles, author etc of the books that you refer to so I can see if I can find them for my own research?

the books i mean, are by andrzej antoni kaminski. there are a few of them ,but i only have 3. the titles are " od acromy do zwyciezcy ". the books are full of pictures of all sorts of vehicles used by the polish forces. the 2 wc42 pictures in this thread are taken from them. i think the publisher is "f.h.u. phantom s.c." i dont know if they are still available. i think i got mine from beltring a couple of years ago.

I have had a look for the book but the usual internet sources have come up blank. Les - I think you are right and I'll put it down as one of my shopping challenges for Beltring this year. Not that I need any encouragement to haunt the bookstands!

I have been really encouraged by the support from forum members about finishing my GMC in Polish markings so that is what I am going to do. There is still some research to do (Sikorski Institute etc) and I'll get on with that.

The Holy Grail of a clear picture of an open cab 353 with divisional and unit markings is out there somewhere..........

Thanks to everyone who responded to the initial question and subsequent tangents - great fun and a number of leads to follow up. I'll let you all know how I get on in due course....

Doesn't work really cut into your day ?

I've got all sorts of other posts I can put up so in the wors of Arnie -"I ll be back"

Riverman

• 7 years later...