Albion CX22S

Davie

It's about time that I started a blog about my Albion. I have been a bit apathetic about it for a year or so now.so, have given myself a metaphorical kick up the backside to get started on the restoration again. So, hopefully with a bit of encouragement, I'll be able to get some work done every week and, post the results on here. It will also keep Will happy as he tells me there is not enough Albion content on the site. He is probably correct.

These first pictures are when I first went to view the Albion near Berwick on Tweed.

alb.b2.jpg

2-picture2.jpg

alb.b3.jpg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, going back about eighteen months. Repair of the cab. The cab woodwork was in a worse state than I thought. Isn't it always like that? Anyway, my joiner mate, Dave Denton was due me about a weeks labour from when I rewired his house so, he came and removed all the rotten wood. Then, using the old as templates, made up new sections and fitted them in place. We used mostly oak and a bit of mahogany because thats what I had in stock. There is still a wee bit of wood work to do, so, Dave is coming back in April to finish it off. These pictures have been posted before, but were lost in the big crash.

albcab1.jpg

albcab3.jpg

albcab5.jpg

albcab6.jpg

This weekend, I serviced the compressor and shotblasting gear. I have converted a garden shed into a blasting room to keep the grit and dust under control. Then I blasted and painted various straps and fitments that attatch the fuel and air tanks to the chassis Some pinprick holes were apparant in one of the straps so I filled them with weld and ground smooth. Previously, I had remade a couple of these straps that were not repairable.

These parts have been lying in a box awaiting attention for well over a year, so it's about time I did something about them.

DSCF0096.jpg

DSCF0098.jpg

DSCF0099.jpg

I'll be able to get some work done every week and post the results on here.

I wish you would. Please include some more of that beautiful scenery in some of your pix.

I wanted to buy one of these Albions that had been stored under a railway arch in the London docklands many years ago and well before Canary Wharf. I think they're really nice.:thumbsup:

I wish you would. Please include some more of that beautiful scenery in some of your pix.

I wanted to buy one of these Albions that had been stored under a railway arch in the London docklands many years ago and well before Canary Wharf. I think they're really nice.:thumbsup:

That scenery is the Pentland Hills. A very nice area to go for a bit of hill walking, something I don't do enough of.

What happened to the Albion under the arch?

What happened to the Albion under the arch?

I'm sorry, I've no idea. It had been converted to a recovery lorry and was in company with a few other ex.WD vehicles. I was running a HGV driving school at the time and spotted the vehicles while being driven around by one of the punters in our clapped out Bedford TK.

Thank you .... thank you..............THANK YOU...:yay::yay::yay:

At last............. I love the look of CX's, know next to nothing about them, so I'm absolutely delighted that you've found the time to start your blog again.

I thought the cab was wooden framed and steel clad. I didn't realise the cab was almost entirely wood.

Thanks again for the pictures. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of this vehicle. I presume it all runs and drives/

P.S. I see we have another CX hidden from us at the moment. I came across a new members name while looking for posts on CX22's. He is known as TheAlbionCX22Ownerfrom Ireland. He joined the forum on the 9th March and as yet he hasn't made any posts. I sent him a message about a week ago and had no reply. Maybe I scared him off by telling him that he automatically qualified to be put on my friends list, as he was an Albion owner. Maybe he just joined to find out what the website had to offer. Probably never hear from him again. :???

Quite right too ! What fabulous lorry and, I believe, owned by a member of this forum.

Aye, a real quality restoration. Owned by HMVF member Ack Ack.

Thanks for posting these fine photos. It would be good to see some in service photos, they seem to be very rare though. A few archive pics can be seen in this link.

http://www.albion-cx22.co.uk/archive_photos.html

Davy, any idea why, in the last of those archive pics which is obviously a parade of some sort, the trailer is carrying a railway goods wagon?

Must be something to do with the military railways as run by the Royal Engineers (replicated cap badge on radiator)

I think the placard on the side of the truck say`s Royal Engineers Transport...?

Ashley

Edited by ashley

Davy, any idea why, in the last of those archive pics which is obviously a parade of some sort, the trailer is carrying a railway goods wagon?

Absolutely no idea Degsy. The carriage does appear to have the "WD" mark on the side of it. Though I cannot make out what the sign on the Albion says. Anyone able to enhance it?

Must be something to do with the military railways as run by the Royal Engineers (replicated cap badge on radiator)

I think the placard on the side of the truck say`s Royal Engineers Transport...?

Ashley

You could be right about the sign. Though the more I look at it the more blurry it becomes.

Nice to see what you're doing Davie, keep up the good work.

Do you know what happened to the CX22S's that were at Cuthbertsons of Biggar, which I suppose is quite close to you?

I took this picture in the late '80s.

?iid=ywbmcg&outx=0&quality=90&noresize=1

Sadly they were scrapped. See this link

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?t=5377&page=3

I have more photos of them from about eight years ago. I'll scan them in later.