Commer 3-ton GS

Yorkie

Greetings. First post from a former Army driver (amongst other trades) hoping to become involved in returning a warhorse to the road. I’ve been browsing the boards, getting a feel for the place, and it would appear that this is the place for getting questions answered, and I’d be grateful for your assistance.

Up where I live are a number of HMVs that appear to have spent their retirement in the logging business. I’ve got my eye on a Matador recovery wagon, but there’s also MkIII Militant and an RL with a jib on the back. But there is one truck that I’ve driven past frequently which, if I can persuade the owner to part with it, I’d like to restore.

So, can anyone tell me if the Commer 3-ton GS is a worth-while restoration job? Seemingly rare enough to make it interesting, but does anybody have user handbooks, servicing schedules or historical data for them? All assistance gratefully received, especially anecdotes from the days it was in service. Naturally, photos to follow.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Andy Ottaway

There are very few Commers around, which is a shame. They seemed to lend themselves to be used as repair trucks, I have quite a few EMERs here that cover:

Instrument repair

Recuperator repair

Armourers

Electrical repair

Fuel injection repair

Tels Repair

Radar repair

Tent17.jpg

Tent16.jpg

At least one went to the Falklands

Thanks for the info, but the one I've got my eye on is almost certainly a GS, minus the load bed. This is a photo of a similar vehicle (with due credit to the original photographer.

I see the EM reg now! They were under trial for the next fleet of 3 tonners.

05EM45 was one that took part in trials and demos at Chertsey, called a Commer CB. They classed as 4.5 ton and were pitted against a 4wd Austin FJ and a Bedford R Mk2, the later being the forerunner of the MK. The contract winner was Bedford with the MK to replace the RL.

This Commer would have a multifuel version of the Rootes TS3 two stroke engine. There was a restored one in the Kent / sussex area a few years ago, it had the original body.

Richard

Thanks, guys, plenty there for me to go on. You've given me enough encouragement to see if I can prize the vehicle from the grasps of its current owner. Can't wait!

I had an inkling that it might be a rare vehicle. Passed it a number of times, with just a glance at the OG drab, 4x4, typical Commer cab shape, but I struggled to find info on Commer trucks in military service.

Sorry if the reference to '3-ton' was misleading - we always referred to the RL as a 3-tonner, as the MK came in with metrication we called it a 4-tonne®!

Thanks once again.

Andy

Following further research into Commer trucks in Australia and New Zealand, where the marque and TS3 engine were quite popular, it would appear that a number of these trucks were exported to Australia for use in construction projects. This may have a bearing on the scarcity of the type in the UK.

Seems that only 22 were built - two for the FVRDE trials and 20 production models.

Andy

If you're interested - theres this come up on MilWeb today:

Commer 4x4 Cargo

1 of only 20 ever built as prototype to British Army. Commer 2 stroke diesel multi fuel engine, as new tyres. Fitted with Winch. Condition. £5,500.

Kenneth Jackson 03 April '06