Valve Guide Help

morris c8 fat

Question

13 answers to this question

Right I have found that im missing the valve guide from No 2 inlet the valve compresion tool wont fit over the manifold so question can I remove the valve any other way and if i could how do I remove any old bits and replace it without having to take the whole engine out?

How have you lost the valve guide :confused: ? Unless you can make or find a suitable valve spring compressor, then the manifold would have to come off. When I restored a Morris Comm. 4 cyl about 30 years ago, I made a compressor to suit the engine, not a difficult job at all. Valve seat will need recutting after fitting a new guide to ensure it is true, as it is No. 2 it can be done insitu.

I dont know if it was even ther when I got het but the playis about 1/4 in until I get the valve removed I wont know if it broke up or what and as the truck is out side the house how would i get it recut?

Sounds like it is badly worn or come loose. Until you remove the valve, you cannot assess what damage is done. Originally, the Morris would have had hardened seats, which would mean an ordinary hand valve seat cutter will not touch them. A Vibrocentric type of tool with a specially dressed stone would have to be used. You will have to enquire locally, because there may be someone with the equipment who will come out and do it. Years ago firms would come to the vehicle to do rebores and valve seats in situ.

You sure know how to cheer a chap up.

any idea of what size im looking for or will it depend on wear ect?

I am afraid that there is only one way to find the problem, and that is to strip and examine. Sorry if it sounded like bad news, but if I had suggested you ought to remove the engine, then that is bad news.....so look on the bright side :)

how did you actually get the guide out?

I have suffered 2 broken exhaust valves so know all about replacing them but for furture reference would like to know how to do the guides also

Try John Walker from Nottingham - that''s where I got my valves from

It fell out when I took the spring out Im sure there must be more of it somwhere!

Thanks - I vaguely think the manual refers to an interference fit, so I was wondering how hard you had to hammer to get them out. Evidently not very hard at all!

I had to fish around in the valve pocket to find all my bits, thankfully reassembling the jigsaw proved I had them all and there's nothing (i hope) down in the big ends.

Don't remove the cover plate (like I did :sweat:) before you have checked everywhere. :shake:

Aw and John said you had such fun!

Now its out any idea what could have caused it?and where do I look for a replacement?

Fun?........oh yes, forgot about that :-D

Now, what could have caused it to break up. Just looking at one of your photos, am I right in thinking, the outside of the guide where it was in the block, is shiny, with a slight burr just before it tapers towards the end? If so, I would say the valve has siezed in the guide at some point and the guide has been forced out. If this is so, be careful in fitting a replacement guide as it could well be a slack fit in the block. You might have to have one made up to fit the hole in the block, don't forget to then have the seat recut, also face the valve, which might also have been damaged when the guide moved.

As has already been recommended, John Walker is the best bet for valve and guide

Not having a complete one in front of me I cant tell.

But the wear on parts makes me think this has been going on for some time.

This piece was at the bottom in the spring and would not lift out through the valve/guide hole so Im at a loss as how one would go back inshort of sliping it back up but then as it says in the book tap it in?

Not having a complete one in front of me I cant tell.

But the wear on parts makes me think this has been going on for some time.

This piece was at the bottom in the spring and would not lift out through the valve/guide hole so Im at a loss as how one would go back inshort of sliping it back up but then as it says in the book tap it in?

If it has been rattling about within the spring, then I suspect the hole is a bit burred on its lower end.