Thornycroft Amazon

Rlangham

Trying to find pictures and survivors of the Thornycroft Amazon 6x4 lorry, it was used by the RAF in WW2 with a coles crane on the back, Airfix do a nice kit of one. I've seen a late version at the Yorkshire Air Museum but i've seen a couple more in magazines and one on tv which is the earlier version like the Airfix kit depicts, can anyone help?

Cheers, Rob

Up until a few years ago there was a coles crane in yellow sitting on the edge of a scrap yard out the back of Parkstone (Bournemouth/Poole) it vanished when I think the yard was moved.

With regards pictures, there were a few published in I think CMV magazine last year, there are also a few books that I obtained through the library as a kid on RAF transport which had pictures in, Airfix also produced a modelling book specifically on RAF vehicles and there may be some in that.

My interest is that during the war my grandad was a driver (left a Cpl) in the RAF (TAF 2) and drove a coles crane through France/Germany, I have a few pictures of him with it, plus variuos others of Austin K6 bomb flats and a myriad of other transport.

All my militaira etc is currently in storage while my cellar is being refurbished but when it comes back mout I'll post some pics.

Hi Rob

Acrane operator in our village used to use them and still had one a couple of years ago, its probably still there as it was parked in some woodland near the yard. Incidentally he still uses a Matador for winching jobs and a few years ago won abet with the Matador by dragging a big modern recovery vehicle even though the new truck was also trying to pull the Matador, quite impressive. There used to be 3 Matadors in the yard as one of his employees and one of his sons also owned them however I know at least one of these was sold a couple of years ago.

Cheers

Degsy

Hi Degsy,

A guy near me has a couple of Matadors,one of which still works for a living as a logger. they are a super piece of kit.

Matt.

There may be a Thornycroft Amazon Coles crane, at Duxford. Just over a year ago, my friend sold his Austin K6 Coles crane to Duxford museum. They wanted it for a new display as, they told me, that the Thornycroft they had wanted too much work to be done to it. Also, I was told of another up for sale, in the Notts. area, about 18 months ago.

Richard

Cheers, do you know when the Austin K6 with crane will go on display? It'll be an interesting addition to the museum, at an aviation museum sometimes I find the ground vehicles more interesting than the aircraft!

According to the chap who came down to look the crane over, the Museum is creating a display of WW2 RAF ground equipment. Not having been up there for some years I am not sure which building, but I got the impression they would be mingled with aircraft. They have been restoring a Bedford MWC water tanker and a OXC artic tractor, amongst others. I thought he said the display was due to open this year.

Richard

Yes their is a Thorneycroft Amazon crane at Duxford somewhere.The resteration was started some years ago but has come to a stop.It was towed in from Yorkshire behind a scammell constructor After both vehicles had completed the Transpenine run in the mid Eighties.The Bedford OXC & MWC have both been at Duxford for the past 30 years.They were both privately owned but sold to the IWM .AS was my QL Bowser.Their is a AEC Matador 6X6 Bowser somewhere.The Albion CX22 Will be out for on the vehicle show .If anybody would like a good & a sit in cab find COLIN or TONY

TONY CORBIN

Cheers, hope they fix the Thornycroft up some day as well. Does anyone know more about this ground vehicle display, ie where it's going to be and whats going to be there? RAF ground vehicles at Duxford that I can think of are;

Bedford OXC and trailer

Bedford MW tanker

Thompson 3 wheel refueller

Bedford QL Fuel bowser

Tracked tractor (think it's a Fordson or Clayton)

Morris LRC (doubt they'll move it from the Normandy exhibition)

Standard Beaverette

Fordson WOT barrage balloon towing vehicle

Austin K6 coles crane

Anyone know of any more?

• 2 years later...

Sorry guys,

only just found this thread!

It may be of interest, there was an Amazon in a yard in Chichester in West Sussex, a couple of years ago, may still be there, and another (in safe hands) in a yard near Southampton. If anyone on this forum is brave enough to attempt a restoration, I can point them in the right direction to possibly save the old girl in Chichester ...............

By the way, I remember the one in Parkstone, not sure where she went.

By the way, I remember the one in Parkstone, not sure where she went.

Knowing the guy who owned it is probally baked bean tins now :( the scrap yard is still going despite nearly burning down an electric substation recently

Ashley

A crane hire company (Buckley's) in the village where I live still has a Thorneycroft Amazon but of course it is no longer used, I think it is probably kept out of sentiment as I think it was probably the first crane the company started with. They also have 2 Matadors still in regular use.

By the sound of it there are a few survivors, but what a shame so few seem to be safe in collectors hands, are there any under restoration anywhere?

Hi

There are accutualy quit a lot of Amazons on Malta, 15+, most are worn down, but suviving. take a look here http://ccmv.fotopic.net/c843639.html

I own, together with to friends, A long Wheel base Amazon that we are going to restaur, but havent started yet, to many projects at the moment.

:) Niels

Edited by Niels v

• 1 year later...

Hi

Here are some pictures taken today, when I got the Amazon home to the barn, it has been in storage at friend but sadly he had to sell his barn.

Restoration of it has to wait until i have finish some other projects, but it will be kept dry and safe.

The crane had to be removed due to it being higher than the 4 meters allowed in Denmark

CIMG4664..jpg

CIMG4648..jpg

CIMG4655..jpg

CIMG4651..jpg

CIMG4657..jpg

CIMG4658..jpg

Yes it is fairly big, its running on 14.00 x 20 wheels.

Like on my Scammell, it has not been modified by the danish army.

I am now searching for manuals and any spares I can find for it.

It is reasonable condition, we havent tried to start it yet, but the previous owns had been driving it just before we pick it up 2 years ago, there are some rust holes, but mostly only surface rust.