anybody remember/know this vehicle

chevpol

Yes, appeared in issue 12. I've never seen another photo of it so good to see the one posted here.

Years ago I met a chap who said he owned it - I've never seen it in the metal myself. I've just relocated my note. I won't give you his name, but at the time he lived in a village near Aylesbury. As it has not been on the show circuit to my knowledge, I can only assume it is still awaiting its turn...

that was taken at Winkleigh in the mid 80's, I did read somewhere that it had moved on, and when it was moved, the chassis broke.

I would like to think it will be/was restored, would be a great addition to the circiut!!!

Mark

Hi Mark,

its nice picture Commer Beetle 15cwt!

I like small wartime Bedfords and Commer trucks and never see new picture this

"Beetle"!

Please you know date and place?

Mean behind "Beetle" is old Czechoslovak bus(???),

or is my mistake?

regards

Tomas

Hi Mark,

its nice picture Commer Beetle 15cwt!

I like small wartime Bedfords and Commer trucks and never see new picture this

"Beetle"!

Please you know date and place?

Mean behind "Beetle" is old Czechoslovak bus(???),

or is my mistake?

regards

Tomas

Hi Tomas,

I took that picture at a transport museum here in England in the early 1980's, that bus is a Harrington bodies AEC, either Ex Greycars or Ex Greenslades

Mark :cool:

thank you Mark for answer,

this British bus is on first wieu very similar to old Czech bus type from 50s years,

"Beetle" is very intersting!

But is very old picture,likely ended "life" in scrapyard,

I have similar story with Guy Ant 4x2 15cwt early model,

by UNNra program go to Czech fire brigade in 1946,(have picture) here still to 1990 and was re-built on bus(have piture) but here story finish, i dont know what hapent with this interesting truck.

regards

Tomas

Reference the Britains toy truck, the story I heard once was that the British Army was rumoured to be taking the Beetle as its Standard 15cwt, and Britains quickly made the model truck. It was only after they made the moulds that the Army then went for the Morris 15cwt.

• 9 months later...

Hello,

Funnily enough i've come across a handbook for the commer beetle. Stapled to the inside cover is a list of all the commer beetle chassis numbers built, along with there engine numbers and census numbers for each vehicle. I just need to find a list like that for the bedfords!!

Talking to a mv elder he remembers 4 or 5 of these still in exsistance, a couple of running ones were still about, he says the one shown above was one of the roughest!! So they are still about somewhere.

that was taken at Winkleigh in the mid 80's, I did read somewhere that it had moved on, and when it was moved, the chassis broke.

I would like to think it will be/was restored, would be a great addition to the circiut!!!

Mark

Interestingly enough , quite recently I advertised in the wanted section of this forum asking for a Commer Beetle - Obviously I didn't get too many replies nor offers of Trucks unfortunately but a chap did respond telling me that he knew where the one in the Photo was but he would not tell me his name or indicate where he lived but did say that either the chassis had been repaired or a new chassis had been made for this one and progress was being made .

Needless to say I would still love to see one in the flesh and would still love to acquire one eventually no matter how rough it started out to add to my collection of early British ww2 15cwt trucks - Any leads please give me a shout:coffee:

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Having made a note of some of the registration numbers in earlier posts, I couldn't help but wonder what other registration numbers I can find - only 400 or so of these trucks were made. As a quick (non)start, I've this in my collection, but somewhat annoyingly a couple of lads are standing in the way!

IMG_0002.jpg

The main vehicle used in the 1935 Trials in North Wales and which appears in most publications you see for the beetle is registered DMC 75 - Most of the 400 which were actually ordered and delivered and I have seen mentioned appeared to have the MG.... Registration numbers . I have a photo of DMC 75 and will try and post it on here cheers :coffee:

According to an article in Vintage Roadscene issue 89 (May/June 2006), two pilot examples were acquired under contract V.2729, numbers Z 35414/5 (presumably this should read Z 351414/5?); and a production run under contract V.2781, numbers Z 351435-351835.

There's a picture of DMC75 at post 7. Some more pictures appear in Vintage Roadscene magazine Vol 6, No.23 (June-August 1990).

It's almost certain, as you say, that most if not all the production models were registered in the MG series. Bart's WW2 FV Directory shows "MG8404".

Have any more examples appeared in print? I'm sure I've seen at least one other article on these Commers, but can't remember where. For some reason there's not even a mention of them in Geoff Carverhill's history of the marque "The Commer Story".

Edited by Runflat

• 6 years later...
  • 3 years later...