Scammell Mountaineer?

This is what I'm led to believe is a Mountaineer. I photographed it several years ago. It was owned by Alan Rogerson and beautifully preserved in fantastic condition.

Foraky1.jpg

Foraky2.jpg

Edited by daz76
Change of title

That is Alan's (don't know his surname, everyone calls him Big Al) who Pickering Commercial entries until last year. It has recently been up for sale at I believe £12,500. I thought about buying it but I am not impressed with the winch. Some mountaineers had a reversing gearbox after the winch PTO so that you can pay out the winch under power, later ones went through the gearbox, as per Constructor, but this one is like the Pioneer/Explorer. and can only winch in. Leyland 680 (I think power +)

Edited by antarmike

It is also too young to be HGV exempt due to pre 1960, used unladen legislation, and I wanted my wife to be able to drive it with her car licence, so again another reason I let it go. It is in amazing mechanical condition. It was once on call as a mines rescue vehicle. No military employment though.

Edited by antarmike

Some mountaineers had a reversing gearbox after the winch PTO so that you can pay out the winch under power, later ones went through the gearbox, as per Constructor, but this one is like the Pioneer/Explorer. and can only winch in. Leyland 680 (I think power +)

Mike are you saying that some Mountaineers had a Constructor type transfer box which would disconnect the drive to the axles and drive the winch via a chain? The ones I have seen have all had a single speed transposing box similar to Explorer but with a rear axle drive in line with the front one. You say later ones but I doubt there are many built after 'D' reg?? Later features included hydraulic power steering and the option of Constructor coil sprung front suspension.

Mountaineers exist with only a forward pto which allows the winch to wind in only. The cable has to be pulled of the drum. Other mountaineers have a simple forward reverse gearbox, that is in the drive line between the Pto and the winch, allowing the winch to power out as well as in. (single speed) The very late Mountaineers could work the winch in all gears, allow it to wind in at different speed and also to power out. I do not know the exact arrngement of how this was achieved, only that the facility existed on late mountaineers. This is how I understand the verbal information from Big Al who owns this mountaineer as I discussed its purchase. He may or may not be correct.

Edited by antarmike

That is Alan's (don't know his surname, everyone calls him Big Al) who Pickering Commercial entries until last year. It has recently been up for sale at I believe £12,500. I thought about buying it but I am not impressed with the winch. Some mountaineers had a reversing gearbox after the winch PTO so that you can pay out the winch under power, later ones went through the gearbox, as per Constructor, but this one is like the Pioneer/Explorer. and can only winch in. Leyland 680 (I think power +)

Mike- It's Alan Rogerson. An Explorer he was breaking yielded a cab/ bulkhead and loads of other bits to put mine back together. This Mountaineer was in fine fettle when I saw it.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...