How many Radio Amateurs do we have?

fv1609

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What were you all up to I have to admit I was a bit of a renegade. A was running a Yaesu FT-One, which if you cut a wire could transmit anywhere between 150Khz and 30 Mhz. (would I have done this???) I ran this into at Yaesu FT-707 transverter, with 2 metre and 70 cms modules.

I was running Amtor, and facsimile. I also went mobile on 2 metres and had Datong doppler direction finding set up on my car. (well fox-hunts were popular in those days so cheating was fine by me!

Well none of us sound very active. In the 21 years I've been here only had 4 QSOs. Although previous QTH was very active on microwaves.

Rather weathered photo.

On left chimney yagi for 70cm & loop quads for 23cm & 13cm

Elsric01.jpg

For 9cm, 5cm & 3cm, main mast 66 ft high with 4.5 x 6 foot reflector consisting half inch mesh with 288 horizontal wires soldered in. This made it solid to RF, on 3cm (10 GHz) gave an ERP of 80kW.

Elsric02.jpg

Note no HF or 2m aerials!

Edited by fv1609

What about 15 years TCO/TCC in RAF signals, morse 18Wpm HF systems controller (Chirpsounders and that stuff) Satcoms etc.

Also Global Maritime Distress Safety System (GMDSS) General Operator Certificate for when i was offshore to operate ship stations globally, and i used to fix the police radio equipment and hillsite stuff, until they got Airwave (Encrypted mobile phones!).

Never really had anything to do with amateur radio, apart from helping police raid a house where an amateur radio operator was transmitting on police frequencies trying to pass himself off as a cop, caught red handed!

caught red handed!

Yes that was the thing catching them at it. I knew what was then a GPO inspector & he was frustrated that magistrates would not convict on installation of WT gear alone. Although this in itself contravened Sect 1 of WT Act 1949, magistrates wanted only evidence that of them being caught using it.The equipment was confiscated & only a modest fine imposed.

Even more frustrating was TV licence evasion, in those days (1960s) the fine was usually about the same as the TV licence itself, so many saw licence evasion as a worthwhile gamble!

• 3 years later...

-. --- - + -- . + -... ..- - + -- -.-- + -... .-. --- - .... . .-. + .. -. + .-.. .- .-- + .. ... + .- + ..-. .- -. .- - .. -.-. + .- -. -.. + .... .- ... + -- . - + ... --- -- . + --. .-. . .- - + ..-. .-. .. . -. -.. ... + - .... .-. --- ..- --. .... + .-. .- -.. .. ---

-. --- - + -- . + -... ..- - + -- -.-- + -... .-. --- - .... . .-. + .. -. + .-.. .- .-- + .. ... + .- + ..-. .- -. .- - .. -.-. + .- -. -.. + .... .- ... + -- . - + ... --- -- . + --. .-. . .- - + ..-. .-. .. . -. -.. ... + - .... .-. --- ..- --. .... + .-. .- -.. .. ---

Ah, but does he like the MVs as well?

SWL (short wave listener) since 1975 livensed as GM1WCK in 1986 and G0OZS in 1991. I am still active - mostly Sunday morning VHF nets and GB2RS news readings on 144MHz FM and HF special events as home QTH (location) is too noisy at RF for HF and neighbours too near for high power VHF - I bought the SUMB as a self propelled tent and mast base but it has become a project in it's own right !

I used to be active in RAYNET emergency communications and used to be a regular at the Rougham airfield events which first sparked my interest in MVs - military radio goes back to being fascinated by a TA signals unit using the field next to my playgroup when I was about 4 and my dad (ex RN) being a lifelong listener ..

Iain

73 de G0OZS

Passed my foundation licence last October.

Had the radios in my land rover but no licence to use/cover me with the radios so Ian (malteaser on the forum and full licence holder) got a group together (all MV owners) and a tutor. We did the course over a weekend then did the exam on the Monday. Not looked back since! Worked stations all over the world on my 10 watts.

Cheers

Alex

M6VSA

Richard it's a lousy location for microwaves. Can't get a good enough run at the horizon for tropo-scatter, only reliable means would be rain scatter & yes conditions I assume are very good today!

I've given my lathe away so not able to fabricate any components. Nowadays people seem to work on boards modifying satellite front ends & pay vast amounts for ready-made solid state transvertors. So I have all these TWTs & waveguide bits that nobody wants any more :D

Richard it's a lousy location for microwaves. Can't get a good enough run at the horizon for tropo-scatter, only reliable means would be rain scatter & yes conditions I assume are very good today!

I've given my lathe away so not able to fabricate any components. Nowadays people seem to work on boards modifying satellite front ends & pay vast amounts for ready-made solid state transvertors. So I have all these TWTs & waveguide bits that nobody wants any more :D

Wouldn't know about the rain Clive, mostly hot and sunny here!

I'm a HF SSB person and one of the attractions where we have bought and move to on 27 July is a view to the horizon in all directions, nearest neighbour 650m plus away and just over 1Ha to put in big loops and the tower/HF beam without having every council jobsworth and an army of neighbours around your neck; quite apart from all the Chinese SMPS and plasma TV noise.

Crikey, I might even get Mrs. N to use her G1 call for once in a lifetime. . . . . . . .

You'll regret giving a lathe away. . . . . . . .I can find someone your end who would likely be very happy to relieve you of TWTs and WG stuff.

All the best

R.

Hi folks, first got into radio via 11 meter band in 1980, bought a Cobra 148 GTL DX from a friend of my parents. This friend then became my Father-in -law in 1986 after when we both took our "B" licenses, mine was G1PFC. Could`nt wait to get on to HF so did the morse exam down at Brynglass House Newport and became G0IAN ( waited about 6 months for call ) then taught my Father-in-law Jim the CW and he became G0JMH (unfortunately silent key 2 years ago now) Always have and still find it fascinating talking to someone the other side of the world with no delays, amazing and especialy when you are using a PRC 320 on a 2.4m whip, great fun !!! ;)

de G0IAN, Ian.