6 pounder ATG anyone?

jester224

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi ,

Sorry it took a while before answering this post,

All I can say about the replica is that I've seen it on the HWW -show at Wommelgem (Antwerp) , and it looked very nice (to me altough !! )

I know the artist's personally , Maurice Robens, he lives in the French speaking part of Belgium , near the village of Maredsous

What happened to all the 6 pdrs? With APDS they were damn good in WW2, how long did they stay in reserve after the war? Who did we sell them all to.... if they haven't scrapped them they may still be in reserve. Did we lend-lease any to Russia in WW2? If we did then they may well be still in reserve.

Certainly both the US and the Russians used 6-pounders, but called them 57mm.

The Soviets retained the 57mm gun itself for a long time, mounting them in a twin turret on ZSU 57/2, very similar to the even more successful ZSU 23/4.

I'd guess we ditched the 6pdr quite early because the 17pdr was even better and made for a better tank main armament in the Comet and early Cents. The 6pdr simply became obsolete before its time. 17pdr didn't do much better, being succeeded by the 20pdr, the 105mm and the 120mm. Some countries played with a 140mm but generally found that the ballistic friction drop-off was excessive and didn't gain anything over 120.

Then of course we must remember (I read many years ago) that six months'worth of wartime development takes 20 years in peacetime.

• 4 weeks later...
There are a lot of people in the queue wanting a British 6 Pounder and very few out there.

I understand that there is a possibilty of a batch of 2 Pounders coming in but no 6 Pounders.

Are the 2 pounders Genuine or replica's and where are they coming from ?

Any more news would be great , cheers

Oh by the way , Withams have a 6 pdr , well actually it is a ww2 57mm made by International Harvester I believe - The old gate guardian at Preston - It needs restoration but is not cheap at offers above £8500 plus vat

A dealer I have spoken to knows where they are and hopes to acquire them but obviously it is down to the relevant foreign goverment.

From memory 6 Pounders were not declared obsolete until 1960 but nothing is stored for long now as it costs money. All the SLR's, Sterlings and 7.62 Brens have alrerady been cut up.

A dealer I have spoken to knows where they are and hopes to acquire them but obviously it is down to the relevant foreign goverment.

From memory 6 Pounders were not declared obsolete until 1960 but nothing is stored for long now as it costs money. All the SLR's, Sterlings and 7.62 Brens have alrerady been cut up.

Not quite correct Sir, Certainly not ALL Slrs, LMG's & Sterlings were cut up.

A HELL of a lot of SLR's were sold onto the Civvy Market, Quite a few LMG's (I know whos got them, dont bother asking prices. They start at £1,200 each Live!)

A lot were given to the Sierra Leone defence force after the conflict there. (Sore point there, a Friend of my Father who is also an RFD. Bought 6,000 SLR's from the MOD along with other various weapons. Six months free storage ar Donnington. They cost £5 per Rifle. He paid, & then a few weeks later applied for an export permit. This was refused dispite much lobbying & resonable appeals. He then was forced to sell them back to the MOD at a £1 each as he did not have secure storage of a large enough capacity to store all the Weapons after the six months ran out.

A lot of the Rifles he sold back to the MOD were the ones given to Sierra Leone. Good old British Government, Eh????

I have to date, NEVER seen an EX-British Army SMG on the market. All the ones out there are ex-Sterling Comercials, Foriegn Goverment sell offs (Mainly New Zealand) But NEVER, offiically any Ex British Army L2A3 SMG's.

As a Former Service Armourer & someone who worken in Weapon manufacturing for 11 years afterwards in the Defence industry.

I can state this as expirenced fact. I would imagaine from from my Service time served & Locations visited. A lot of each were put into preservation for War Reserve. I know of Two massive locations in London where there are litterally thousands of each type. (Obviously, I cannot reveal where!!)

Mike. :coffee:

Mike

I was repeating the comments of Peter Laidler at the Warminster Small Arms Collection who stated that the MOD longer retained stocks of any of these weapons.

Storage space costs money and the days of vast storage depots accross the country are long gone.

• 4 years later...
Has anyone got a 6pdr ATG that still goes boom or even a deac one? I a member a of British ww2 infantry re-enactment group and we would love to have one at a bigger show. Open to negotiation bribary and corruption are allowed.
Try the US they have a lot of 57mm - their version of the 6Pdr and looks identical. They come up quite regularly for sale on US re-enactment sites.

Try the US they have a lot of 57mm - their version of the 6Pdr and looks identical. They come up quite regularly for sale on US re-enactment sites.

Identicle , Not quite .There are a great deal of differences between the two guns, this has been touched on before.

I have both version in my collection and stood beside each other this is clearly apparent.

I have just been to see an airborne 6 pdr, all complete and 100 percent original with the intension to buy and add to the collection, this is a different beast entirely.

Rob........rnixartillery.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Rob, if you do get the Airborne 6 Pounder, will you be posting pictures?

My Dad is ex Airborne Anti Tank (post war, so never used in anger) and looked over your American gun with great interest at Durham a couple of years ago, but as you say it wasnt the same gun. Love to see it.

dave.