Tent shelter

ferrettkitt

J&S Franklin were the pioneers in CP tentage. They developed the Land Rover 12x9 tents before they were reduced to 9x9 & I believe make newer "Wolf" versions.

TUM fair enough & if it was for LWB Wolf it would be TUM(HS)

Might it be Tent Universal Marquee perhaps?

But I wonder whether this is a production military item at all because of the part number: 8401-1201 which is preceded by their initials. Suggesting it is the manufacturer's part number.

There is a horrible practice of using the back end of a NSN, which destroys the uniqueness & defeats part of the object in providing not just a national identifier (NCB) but the NSC identifies the type of product & broadly its area of use.

So if you have the NSN of 13 digits & remove the NSC that leaves the NIIN. Remove the NCB (99 for UK) then you are left with the "non-significant number" of 7 digits usually expressed as 3 digits + 4 digits.

But here we have 8 digits 8401-1201 ie 4 digits + 4 digits. If there is no NSN to be found I am not at all sure this is an issued military item.

I have the User Handbooks for 12x12:

Shelter GP

Shelter GP Extension

Shelter, Portable, Mobile Air Movements

But none of them have any components with any codes like 8401-1201

Can you try erecting it, to see how it looks when strung up against something?

It says on the tent "TUM", Truck,Utility, Medium. This is the 110 Land Rover.

TUM(HD) is the Pinzgauer, TUL is the 90 L/R.

Hope this helps.

J&S Franklin were the pioneers in CP tentage. They developed the Land Rover 12x9 tents before they were reduced to 9x9 & I believe make newer "Wolf" versions.

TUM fair enough & if it was for LWB Wolf it would be TUM(HS)

Might it be Tent Universal Marquee perhaps?

But I wonder whether this is a production military item at all because of the part number: 8401-1201 which is preceded by their initials. Suggesting it is the manufacturer's part number.

Can you try erecting it, to see how it looks when strung up against something?

No poles... I'll drape it over my car and see what it looks like, it does seem to have been used. Its a pain that the number has been shortened which makes identifying it harder.

Many thanks for the help

Andy

Its a pain that the number has been shortened which makes identifying it harder.

Andy I don't think the part no has been shortened, I think that is the Franklin part no. It doesn't resemble a NSN even a shortened one, which would only have 7 digits. It would be unprecedented to have a part NSN like this that splits the 2-digit NCB, which anyway for the UK would give "9" as the start digit.

Why not e-mail/phone them & ask?

http://www.franklin.co.uk/

Andy I don't think the part no has been shortened, I think that is the Franklin part no. It doesn't resemble a NSN even a shortened one, which would only have 7 digits. It would be unprecedented to have a part NSN like this that splits the 2-digit NCB, which anyway for the UK would give "9" as the start digit.

Why not e-mail/phone them & ask?

http://www.franklin.co.uk/

Hi Clive I suspect that I might already have the answer having had the chance to lay it out on the ground today. The canvas looks to be an end piece for a 12by12 tent. If only I'd waited a day instead of rushing when it was dark. I had a quick look at the pictures on Franklins website and I'm even more inclined to think its an end piece.

Many thanks for the swift reply

Andy