German vehicles?

ferrettkitt

Panzer 38T based on the Czech design. Also made in Sweden. It's a great little tank - a beautiful restoration. At the other end of the scale I still have the Fujimi model of one I built in 1974.

The other vehicle is a kfz - a Horch, I think. Someone will know better.

MB

Panzer 38T based on the Czech design. Also made in Sweden. It's a great little tank - a beautiful restoration. At the other end of the scale I still have the Fujimi model of one I built in 1974.

The other vehicle is a kfz - a Horch, I think. Someone will know better.

MB

Not certain but I think it might be a Kfz.2 Stoewer

Many thanks I should have asked at the time but you know how it is.

Andy

The car is a "Leichter, geländefähiger, Einheits Personenkraftwagen Kfz.3" made by BMW.

The better known name is Kfz.3 and was build by BMW, Stoewer and Hanomag.

The both pictures shows the Kfz.3 from BMW

1666783.jpg

This pic show a Stoewer with dual MG as a Kfz.4

middle pics are Hanomags

below is the chassis of the BMW with all wheel steering.

1666784.jpg

Nice pictures at all - I don´t like to tell something wrong.

But the scanned pictures of my wehrmachts-vehicle book seems wrong then.

The Stoewer kfz.3 shows different hood cooling louvres.

Paul Hockings-car use the BMW one. Wrong hood then?

Only Paul can tell it to us I guess.

• 9 months later...

Hi,

All the black and white photos shown are from the Werner Oswald book on Wehrmacht transport and are mainly mis-captioned, so here are some corrections;-

The horizontal bonnet side louvres are for the very earliest of lEpkw only, 99% had the vertical side louvre bonnets with the louvres facing for and aft. The Kfz 4 (Lichter Flakwagen) shown with these horizontal bonnet side louvres is the prototype Kfz 4 from Stoewer, so approx 1936, the first year of production. Production Kfz 4's has some small differences.

The top two photos show a 4 door/4 seat bodied lEpkw which could be either a Kfz 1 or 3 (Pkw or Messtruppwagen) from either BMW, Hanomag or Stoewer, its not possible to tell, unless you could see the engine, chassis number or dataplate.

The next photo is the prototype Kfz 4 as already mentioned.

The left photo below the Kfz 4 is a Kfz 1 or 3 from either BMW, Hanomag or Stoewer

The right photo below the Kfz 4 is a Kfz 2/1 Funkwagen therefore either a 1939-40 Stoewer R200S or a late 1939-40 Hanomag Typ 20B.

The bottom photo of the "running chassis" could be BMW, Hanomag or Stoewer, its early, with its 10 way dashboard fuse panel, this "running chassis " has now been completed by one of the aforementioned companies and would then be send onwards to one of the many body makers for the body to be added, this could then become a Kfz 1, 2, 2/2, 2/40, 3, 4. (a Kfz 2/1 Funkwagen is not possible on these early models as none of the early versions of the lEpkw engines were electrically supressed, so could not carry radios), After the body was added the complete vehicles would be sent to an HKP (Heeres Kraft Park) or the equivalent for the relevant equipment to be added, after that shipped out to units of the WL, WH, WM or W-SS.

The colour photo of my Stoewer which is now a Kfz 2/40 (Kleiner Instandsetzungwagen) version, is an August 1940 Typ R200S model with the correct and original bonnet, one way to know this is that there is a Carburettor Data plate rivetted to the inside of the bonnet that details the carburettor type and jet sizes for the engine, the carburettor detailed is the Solex 35 BFLV that was only used on the Stoewer R200S and Typ 40 (1939-44) and the Hanomag Type 20B of late 1939-40.

This R200S Stoewer has its full set of data plates and shows that it is a Stoewer built "Running Chassis" that then had a Stoewer built body added (not always the case, there were four other body makers involved) .

hope this very long explanation helps with understanding,

regards Paul Hocking.

Edited by paul hocking