Scammell Explorer Gallery INDEX

NGY XXX plates are from same civilian series as the Constructors supplied to Ministry Of Supply for haulage of new tanks from Vickers factory etc.

This suggests a semi-civilian role for these Explorers, rather than direct into an Army unit - any ideas what their intended use was, and to whom they were supplied?

Mr. Nosey

All six went to the F.V.R.D.E. Mr Nosey but unobservant....:D

They differ slightly from both the 'Mk1s' and the 'Mk2s', wether they where for evaluation or just for normal wrecker duties around the place, is uncertain.

1-DSCF6363.JPG

Edited by gritineye

some photos as it came on Sat now has 1400 x 20 all round, rear chariot removed and will be green by next weekend

Has Meadows diesel with no signs of replacement and bonnet has not been cut out for air cleaner pipes. also has trailer brake in middle of cab? sanding down at moment, if any insignia shows up will post.

AJ

scammell explorer 018.jpg

scammell explorer 015.jpg

scammell explorer 022.jpg

Gets even more interesting now Joe, there was a rumor that some of the contract where Meadows diesel, that would support the evaluation theory.

Mine has trailer (reaction) brake in middle above engine cowl.

Edited by gritineye

some photos as it came on Sat now has 1400 x 20 all round, rear chariot removed and will be green by next weekend

Has Meadows diesel with no signs of replacement and bonnet has not been cut out for air cleaner pipes. also has trailer brake in middle of cab? sanding down at moment, if any insignia shows up will post.

AJ

A couple of pictures found on tinternet of this one when in Graham Booths fleet ! :-D

5fbf.jpg

26c1.jpg

looking at those pics with shiny/wet bonnet, to me it looks like some evidence of the air cleaner holes being filled in, which may mean a non original Meadows diesel..:(

Could be that the holes where filled at factory, but as it would have been easier not to have made them in the first place, it's a bit odd, looking forward to positive proof the engine is original!

H:undecided:ad bonnet off tonight to paint no welding, filler or any signs of repair?

Blimey that's excellent, do we agree the only way the bonnet could be uncut is if it came from the factory like that?

Each Explorer was built/assembled by a five man team (I remember reading somewhere) and all sheet metal work was hand made, although I should think there was a former/jig for the main shape, presumably the bonnet finisher would cut and dress holes to suit the engine/air filters fitted.

Seems to me that your Explorer is turning out to be unique..:bow:

Blimey that's excellent, do we agree the only way the bonnet could be uncut is if it came from the factory like that?

Each Explorer was built/assembled by a five man team (I remember reading somewhere) and all sheet metal work was hand made, although I should think there was a former/jig for the main shape, presumably the bonnet finisher would cut and dress holes to suit the engine/air filters fitted.

Seems to me that your Explorer is turning out to be unique..:bow:

Have sanded bonnet holes no sign of weld or filler bronze green paint on bonnet and were cut outs would be ???

will update photos all now nato green and ready to roll

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hows about MFF487 caught up with it at the Great Dorset Steam Fair in about 2004 have seen and heard nothing of it since. In RAF Blue with 71MU badges on the doors. I used to drive it round the camp and go out as second man with it in the 70,s. The owner kindly let me have a drive but i havent seen it since.

Hows about MFF487 caught up with it at the Great Dorset Steam Fair in about 2004 have seen and heard nothing of it since. In RAF Blue with 71MU badges on the doors. I used to drive it round the camp and go out as second man with it in the 70,s. The owner kindly let me have a drive but i havent seen it since.

That be this one, from the 2004 show. Excuse the poor quality, it was very early days of digital photography!

Scott

DSCF0786.jpg

• 3 months later...

Another one to add to the list.

Chassis no. 8064, from contract - 6/VEH/7443.

Military reg - 93BD66.

Civvy reg - RVF447W

Engine - Meadows diesel, believed original

Now living in Lancashire and awaiting restoration.

IMG_5139.jpg

Ed

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Scott I know its a bit late but i always get there in the end. Yes thats the one I got some pics of it at the time and the owner allowed me a quick drive in it but have seen nothing of it since just wondered what happened to it. I know he was still restoring it at the time.

Hi Scott I know its a bit late but i always get there in the end. Yes thats the one I got some pics of it at the time and the owner allowed me a quick drive in it but have seen nothing of it since just wondered what happened to it. I know he was still restoring it at the time.

I think John has answered your question at the top of the page. Looks like it is still around.

Scott

• 3 years later...
On 16 September 2008 at 9:52 PM, gritineye said:

I am struggling to access the photos in the gallery. How do I get a picture to come up? I have tried to click on the index number but nothing happens. I also have a picture I would like to upload once I have managed to get it into a suitable format. Can I add it direct to the gallery?

Assistance would be gratefully received.

Steve.

On 23 May 2018 at 11:43 PM, gritineye said:

Hi Steve, they mostly all seem to be there for me, just a few ex members ones missing.

Are you looking in the right place? The gallery is separate from this index:  http://hmvf.co.uk/topic/5202-scammell-explorer-gallery/

Bernard

Hi Bernard and thanks for the prompt reply. I have been busy these past few days, hence slow response. I will have a longer look when time allows, but I think I haven't found the correct link, as the one you gave sent me to a thread I'd not seen before.

Thanks again. Steve.

• 1 year later...