Pickett-Hamilton-Fort RAF Rochford (London Southend Airport)

Reposting this thread as it was lost in the Big Forum Crash..

Pickett-Hamilton-Fort RAF Rochford (London Southend Airport)

Early in 2008 I received information that the remains of a Pickett-Hamilton-Fort which was originally rediscovered in July 1989& was about to go into the concrete crusher unless a home could be found for it. The PHF was originally offered to Coalhouse Fort in East Tilbury but the Coalhouse Committee voted against having in as it would of been out of context.. bit strange really as the already have an Alan Williams Pillbox & an Aviation Museum at the Fort. Anyway after quite a few phone calls I managed to secure it.

I have since found out the original locations of the 3 PHF's that were located on the airfield, one was at the far end of the runway, another in front of where the Vulcan Bomber is now parked & my one just in front of the main radar, sadly because of it's location I will not be able to recover the lower half of the PHF.

Around the immediate perimeter, six pillboxes still survive including a rare "mushroom" type and an even rarer anti-aircraft type FW3/23. The underground rooms of the battle headquarters, to co-ordinate the defence of the airfield, are still there, as are two of the retractable type, Pickett-Hamilton forts between the runways. Within a three-mile radius as many as twenty-three more pillboxes still guard the open fields.

In July, 1989, the Airport Duty Crew Firemen discovered a retractable gun turret, buried beneath the airfield. Officially known as the Pickett-Hamilton Fort, the 'pop up' pill box, despite being under the earth for 50 years, was in perfect working order. Research subsequently showed that three Forts were placed alongside the runway on the airfield in the late 1940s. The object of the Fort was to pop up out of the ground and surprise enemy paratroopers. After action the Fort, which was manned by three gunners, would sink back into the ground with the gunners still inside, ready for the next attack. The Firemen also unearthed an underground operations room and shelter.

I hired a bit of help & the PHF is now located & I now have it on display at the Nuclear Bunker..

5003.jpg

Picture280.jpg

Picture084.jpg

Picture104.jpg

Picture168.jpg

Picture220.jpg

Picture282.jpg

Picture289.jpg

Lee did all of the hydraulics and workings survive?

Unfortunately they are still there but buried, the bit I rescued was removed shortly after it was rediscovered in 1989 & dumped in the woods, the hydraulics are buried between the main radar & one of the runways so an excavation is out of the question at present..

First photos show where my PHF was located & can still easily be seen from the air, the other photo shows the location of all 3 PHF's, mine is No.1, I know this as Snapper sent methe wartime maps of RAF Rochford

Southend Airport was sold to Eddie Stobart last week....

map1.JPG

map2.JPG

Were these on every airfield?

In the summer of 1940 many engineering companies approached government departments with plans for defence structures designed to their own specifications. The New Kent Construction Company of Ashford, submitted plans for a "disappearing pillbox" for airfield defence to the designs of Donald Hamilton FSI, LRIBA.

The design consisted of two precast concrete pipes, one sliding within the other, one end of each being closed. These were to be installed on end in the ground at suitable locations on the landing areas of airfields. When not in use, the concrete lid of the smaller pipe (rising head) lay flush with the ground surface, but when brought into action during an emergency, it rose some 2ft 6in above the surface to permit fire from either of its three loopholes. In the closed position the pillbox was concealed, it therefore allowed for an element of surprise particularly in the event of a landing of enemy parachute or airborne troops.

The lifting mechanism consisted initially of a standard 8-ton aeroplane jack, but as this took 3 minutes for the head to rise, it was replaced by a compressed air system supplemented by a hand pump for emergency use (which was quicker to operate).

This pillbox became known as the Pickett-Hamilton Fort and adopted by the Air Ministry (drawing number 13313/40).

The provision and installation of these pillboxes was given the highest priority, the Prime Minister himself showing an interest in the progress of the work. They were soon however, considered obsolete and provision was discontinued. The main reasons were as follows:

· The structures were not sufficiently large to accommodate modern weapons.

· They were not strong enough to sustain the weight of heavy aircraft.

· No upward view was possible (apart from cursory looks through the entrance hatch).

Records show 335 PHF's installed at aerodromes all over the UK, each PH fort cost approximately £240 to build

phfortsketch.jpg

Edited by Marmite!!

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...