What's the worst Military Museum in the UK?

Unless its moved again recently the Crusader and rectank (railway tank transporter) is at the Locomotive Railway Museum at Slidon in Co.Durham.

The ex Stainburn Moor, ex Berverley Churchill Mk2 is at Bovington.

I'll bow to recent knowledge, I was talking a few years ago regarding the Crusader.

I forgot to add that some items (notably 'Kitchener's coach) is at Chatham as part of the RE Museum's 'large exhibits' collection.

jch

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The railway items have gone to railway related collections, the 'cutaway Crusader' on it's railway wagon

Never knew the Crusader was sectioned, but then again I never saw it in the metal.

Why was it cut away? Was it once a tank used for instruction?

H.

Hi Hanno

I think it was sectioned due to damage on one side rather than be an instructional vehicle, it came off the old SPTA gun line where the A24 Cavalier and A27 Centaur and I think the Budge A27 Cromwell were recovered in 1985 and most of these vehicles suffered one sided damage to a greater or lesser extent.

If you look at the link I posted the sectioning is apparent- rear suspension plate missing and sectioning of the sprrocket +some missing engine covers and other panels.

It's local to me perhaps I should get off my lazy backside and go and have a look at it.

Steve

Edited by steveo578
addition

• 4 years later...

I went to the IWM in Lambeth the other day to see what it was like after its expensive re-fit and you've guessed correctly, it was a shadow of its former self with most of the exhibits cleared. In days of old I remember loads more vehicles and exhibits being on show such as the Grant tank and quite a few artillery pieces. The ground floor now has a WW1 18 pdr and a T34/85 but not much else. What also is annoying is that there are no labels next to exhibits and instead you have to look at a board map to find a description. There are also mini shops on every level which you have to pass to get to the other side of the floor you are on. In my opinion it also wasted space in some areas and then tried to cover all Britain's 'small wars' with just a few exhibits. I think the Falklands war was covered by a captured twin 20mm AA gun and a camo smock and yet after being directed to go to the terrace, it was in fact the top floor which was TOTALLY empty; why?

I think I can just bend this thread sufficiently to mention the Haynes collection at Sparkford as their military section has now vanished, very annoying when I popped in to see it! Does anyone know where the vehicles went?

Andy

I went to the IWM in Lambeth the other day to see what it was like after its expensive re-fit and you've guessed correctly, it was a shadow of its former self with most of the exhibits cleared. In days of old I remember loads more vehicles and exhibits being on show such as the Grant tank and quite a few artillery pieces. The ground floor now has a WW1 18 pdr and a T34/85 but not much else. What also is annoying is that there are no labels next to exhibits and instead you have to look at a board map to find a description. There are also mini shops on every level which you have to pass to get to the other side of the floor you are on. In my opinion it also wasted space in some areas and then tried to cover all Britain's 'small wars' with just a few exhibits. I think the Falklands war was covered by a captured twin 20mm AA gun and a camo smock and yet after being directed to go to the terrace, it was in fact the top floor which was TOTALLY empty; why?

Went there on the Saturday it re-opned. Opening time 10:00 got there at about 15 minutes past. Queue was round the corner. Didn't bother to go into the WW1 Gallery, will save that till the schools go back. I have to agree the signing is atrocious! And the layout bizzare. At least the reading room is untouched- best bit of it!

• 3 weeks later...

The crusader and warflat were sent to the national railway museum at SHILDON were it is still on display the crusader

was ex range and as said most of the damage was to the off side some of the damaged parts were replaced with wood

The off side sprocket was not deliberately sectioned this was caused on the range while a target the man who was most involved in getting the tank and doing all the work is the forums member EDITOR 486650

AS to the Iraqi first gulf war trophy equipment / vehicles the ones at BEVERLEY were lent to other registered museums

before the museum closed RAF HONNINGTON been the main one they got two gaz 469 Bs one IFA truck one ZPU-4

The idea behind this was to allow other similar museums in different locations to have them on display

AS to the worst military museum in the uk l have two both local to me eden camp and fort paul both share a lot

tacky displays and have both be come very stale and dated

IN my last post l for got to explain the exposed suspension on the off side it was done to show the workings

on a tank to visitors the side plate was already damage

Think most museums have good and bad points however well established they are , think this has been confirmed by the mention of Duxford as an example.

There is a small museum closely located to me The Muckleborough Collection, I always feel the exhibits outside let the rest of the museum down as they really do look weathered, could just be a case of lack of cash to care for them properly but I am one for first impressions count.

AS to the worst military museum in the uk l have two both local to me eden camp and fort paul both share a lot of tacky displays and have both be come very stale and dated

I have to agree, Fort Paul was one I visited in 2009. What a disappointment. Old,cold dank, untidy, rusty and most unwelcoming. Lots of incorrect information as well if there was any. The dioramas were probably good 30 years ago but are now terrible.

The French Museum, the "Musee des Blindes" in Saumur, France is one of the best we visited. Yes there you have to pay extra to take photos but that was worth the money.

Duxford was very helpfull as I am limited in mobility and they supplied a buggy for me free of charge.

Regards Rick.

• 4 weeks later...

It seems to me the worst museums are in two categories; either brand new devoid of exhibits and all interactive and not worth one penny of their £20 million Lottery Grant or those that are well past their sell by date where ex-shop manikins are dressed in army uniforms that don't fit, usually with a few broken fingers or hair that's pulled off, and dioramas that are falling to bits or use the best of the Airfix 1/76 range of MVs from 1969!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

can I do a bit of a sum up...

displays need to be clean well lit and easy to get close to...so the museum needs load of space...hmm. do museums have unlimited space and time...I doubt it..

information needs to be accurate.....understandable

vehicle accuracy for some of us here is very important...to my mind that depends upon the actual purpose of the display.

price is paramount but income is clearly crucial, so finding the right balance is important.

10 pounds today seems okay 20 pounds too high...

The features need not affect those who are doing other things within the musuem, ie a display must not affect other displays or other peoples visit.

useful...

Might I also add that dioramas be limited in number & extent.

I'm actually quite happy to see rows of vehicles as in a vehicle storage depot where one can view & photo them from all angles rather than some part of a fantasy film set where you only get to see part of the vehicle & the rest is buried in props & stuff.

But I realise that is boring for many visitors, so dioramas yes but don't smother the vehicles :D

I don't know Clive. The Pegasus museum has a number of dioramas, as does the museum at Mont Ormel. The diorams are keyed to notes with push buttons that light up at the appropriate point. They help make the fluidity of the situation much clearer.