Wombat info

What it's called and what it is may not be the same thing. Let's face it, it's a Battalion Anti-Tank gun and we all know the correct term is Regiment, but the infantry differ on that one too. Just like a Scorpion isn't a tank, it's a tracked armoured car.

;o)

Let's face it, it's a Battalion Anti-Tank gun
& just to confuse things it's a Battalion Anti-Tank Recoiless RIFLE (according to the manuals) :confused:

It's on my FAC as a Rifle too, calibre 120mm:rofl:

Just off to make a BAT Back-Blast simulator:shake:

Edited by Marmite!!

The drills for engaging a moving target basically amount to tracking the target (largely in traverse) and continuing to do so through the moment of firing, and aiming forward of the target so that it and the shot are coincident in the space / time continuum when the round lands.

Or to put more succintly, follow through 'Bum, belly, beack Bang!

• 1 month later...

The correct term for the co-axialy mounted weapon with the Wombat is the M8C. This is a 'spotting Rifle. It is semi-automatic & fed from a curved 10 round magazine. It fires a round unique to this weapon. It is a .50" calibre SHORT round fitted with a magnisiem filled copper jacketed head. When fired, & upon striking a hard target. The magniseim explodes with a bright flash. When this is acheived, the gunner switches to main armamant & fires the 120mm Round.

As an Ex-Armouere, I have worked on many of these weapons.

My personal preference is the Mobat. It is much more robust & has a totaly different breech locking mech.

The optical sight is identical for wombat & conbat. BUT, they have to be taken apart & put back together in the opposite plain as the weapons mount the optic sight on different sides. ( A real pain in the proverbial, as I remember!)

The wombat was carried in a special mounting on longwheelbase landrovers & also 432 APC's.

On the landy, it had a small winch at the front & you pulled the weapon up a pair of small ramps into the vehicle & clamped it firm over the axle aech side. The landy carried six rounds only at the front in a purpose made rack.

I never worked on the 432 variant so cannot comment on that particular mounting. you can occasionaly see a wombat 'portee' at shows.

Hope this helps you.

Mike.

• 7 years later...