Chevy steering wheel

42 chevy

I am posting these pictures here as I find it easier to do on this forum. There is a thread on Gordon's WWII Dodge forum on GMC/Chevy steering wheels. My wheel is dated from November of 1958.

Tthe first picture is of the wheel and trhe second is the box it came in.

John Gott

GEDC0001.JPG

GEDC0004.JPG

Hi John,

I've been following the thread on the Dodge forum with interest. My steering wheel is much the same as yours, which I believe is referred to as hard rubber, and three spoke. The thread says that generally these were painted OD, interestingly yours is black, but correct as its NOS. I was assuming that I would have to spray mine OD, am I correct?

Its a nice wheel, dont think Ive ever seen an NOS unit before!

Also, Ive just noticed your fire extinguisher position, I think mine is meant to be on the firewall over the footwell.

Cheers

Edited by G506

As for fire extinguishers, that would explain why it is on the kick panel. I have seen them also mounted to the left of the passenger footwell, in front of the transmission tunnel, I wonder if this was a later positioning.

My steering wheel will probably end up OD, but having seen yours I think black looks better!