Trailers and the Law

Ian Dunn

Can anyone help :?:

I have seen a few for sale adds recently these have stated that the trailer now meets the new law requirements (one even said that the electrics had been changed to meet the requirements to the civvie plug??)

I have just got a 1965 sankey and i am in the process of getting it on the road.

has anyone got any more info?????

Ian

Hello All,

When I went to buy my first sankey trailer from MVS in Lichfield about 8 years ago they would not let me couple up to it with my lightweight, because they said the trailer didn't meet certain standards. They said the indicators needed to be on the outside (as has been mentioned), plus the rear triangle reflectors had to the complete type not the ones made up of individual small round reflectors. A brake away cable needed to be fitted and the number plate had to be in the middle. At the time they had 100's of trailers and when i said I wanted one they told me I could have the one they had in their yard (and not allowed to pick 1 of the 100's)and I would have to trailer it away and not tow it. In the end I went somewhere else and picked the one I liked handed over my cash, coupled up and drove off.

Regards

Dougy

I was talking to a ministry bloke yesterday and he said the law dates from 1968 so if you have a trailer built before that date you have no worries,

He also said that if he saw a trailer as long as it had all the relevant lights in his eyes ther would be no problem,

one more point was that on a standard Landy the rear lights can clearly be seen and not obscured by the trailer then it is ok.

Ian