Nelson boats in service

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

pollardsboat.jpg

Nelson 34 probably ex carrier.originaly a single perkins 354 engine,later converted to twin when it left service.

These, or at least a Nelson design look alike were very popular in Jersey. they always struck me s very simmilar to the Buchanon disgned Channel Islander 28 and 32. As I knew Alan I loved his designs.

They are a good sea boat Tony,but i dont put them in the same class .

nelsonmeetkemble010.jpg

nelsonmeetkemble009.jpg

recently restored range safety boat.nice boat but they dont look good with all those railings.

Edited by catweazle (Banned Member)

There was a naval high speed launch at Norwich till a year or so ago, it had a Perkins P6 with its own closed circuit cooling system - on the underside of the hull were copper cooling pipes.

I was led to believe this was so the engine could be run up whilst boat was on davits, and lowered into water from moving ship for take-off at high speed :shake:

There was a naval high speed launch at Norwich till a year or so ago, it had a Perkins P6 with its own closed circuit cooling system - on the underside of the hull were copper cooling pipes.

I was led to believe this was so the engine could be run up whilst boat was on davits, and lowered into water from moving ship for take-off at high speed :shake:

There are quite a few motor cruisers that use that type of cooling (not modern plastic stuff). Our current works tug that was built as an exact copy of a WWII tug (which we only retired from service about 5 years ago!!) has the same cooling system too. One of the advantages is the lack of sea water passing through the engine, another is that there is no worry about fouling or blocking the raw water inlet, good if your running in weedy, dirty or shallow water.

• 1 month later...

Your right it is,Same hull as mine,they were normally 44ft as the earlier picture,there were other manufacturers of course,the pictures are rare i suspect as they were normally at sea and would only approach you if you were entering a firing range.

• 1 month later...

2005_0627Image0023.jpg

This one we did a couple of years ago,its ex mod range safety boat,the owner spent a fortune on it,rebuilt from the hull up.Not many Nelson owners like it because of the colour,but nelson boats were work boats

so we run down the leisure ones,well you gotta have a dig back.:-D

• 7 years later...
Your right it is,Same hull as mine,they were normally 44ft as the earlier picture,there were other manufacturers of course,the pictures are rare i suspect as they were normally at sea and would only approach you if you were entering a firing range.

Dear all, these RSLs were Talisman 49s, designed by Murray Cormack and Associates. The same hull is also marketed as a Weymouth 51, and has been built by a number of people including Seaward Marine, based on Halmatic hulls - hence why they are often confused with Nelsons. Nelsons are designed by TT boat designs. Both are semi displacement designs and very good if wet at sea. November 1988 Motor Boat and Yachting gives a report. Equally search MOD police launch on Google and you will get pictures.

Toby