Scammell S26 Gallery

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Cheers,we had at the water board the crusader i think,with the eagle,very smokey from cold,bit dissapointing really.it was a low loader for shifting muir hill shovels to the filter beds.muir hill wonder if there still going.?

As I used to work on them, should be able to answer for you, Perkins Eagle 6 cyl and from memory a 350 bhp version. They are an update on the old RR Eagle.

350 in the 6x6 and 8x6, 305 in the 6x4 tractors. Perkins (now CAT) Eagle mk3 which is based on the C series Shrewsbury built Rolls engines.

Andy, if you PM me an email address I will send a pic that you can post to prove it arrived. Drove it 60 miles home with no probs, and they even left about 300 litres of diesel in the tank.:shocked:

Mike

S26 tractor seen in both semi tractor and ballast configurations powered by a Cummins NTE350 engine coupled to Fuller 15 speed manual gearbox, this photo is also by mistake in the Constructor thread

Havn't seen that picture before Les, it's from the same batch as mine - 71KB96. If you look at the model badge it reads 2630 which makes it a Rolls not a Cummins.:-D There were some 2635s with civilian front bumpers trialled as tank transporters but I don't think any were ordered.

Can anyone tell me something about this, i took the photo on a visit to Watford during the month the Commander was entering service and after a tour of the works went a little way down the road to a storage holding area and saw this S26. It was summer time and trees and bushes were at there best but not much use to me whilst trying to take photos from out side,from what i can remember the truck is a S26 drops without the multilift equipment fitted and a large GS body bolted to the chassis. It is the only time i have seen this set up and guess it was a trial vehicle although i seen no test or trial photos of the same it appears to have had a small fire in the rear of the body

hmvf11.jpg

I may be able to shed some light on the coverd S26. A work mate used to be in the enginers and in 87 were issued with 3 6X6 S26s coverd with a drilling rig inside.I belive they were used for drilling for water only.

I am AFTER A drops if anyone knows of one.to go with the 6x6.

The 350 eagle is a massive improvement over the 305, the power is more mid range 1200 to 1700 rpm no need to rev the be jesus out of it.

from beltring the other week we had the 6x6 with a fox fv701 (5ton)in the back of it ,and the dumb axle towing frame (3.3ton)with our daf gs(6.4ton) on tow with a mk4 ferret (4ton)in the back of that. So all in all near 15ton pulled very well. the reason why we towed the daf the prop uj went u/s.

I don't want to spoil a party but a Dyson has only 4 axles and can't be used on road ,loaded, under STGO. Also you can't find tyres with a high enough weight capacity (as dual wheels) to run at the Dysons 68/70 tons gross.

A Dyson is nice to look at but cannot be used anywhere near fully loaded on the public highway.

The Army only managed to use the Dyson fully loaded because they did not have to comply with any part of Construction and Use regs.

But yes I know of several Dysons that are up for sale....

The 350 eagle is a massive improvement over the 305, the power is more mid range 1200 to 1700 rpm no need to rev the be jesus out of it.

Do you know what the differences are, I suspect it is more than just pump settings? Does the 350 still use a chargecooler rather than an intercooler?

Mike