Bedford TM 8T CALM

extrogg

Hi, After 5 months hard graft ive finally finished restoring my TM. Apologies for not keeping a running update on the progress but im a very busy person with work and doing the truck that its difficult to find the time!!

I stripped the cab down of all its panels, doors, lights, trim etc...interior came out and the rest of the truck body was stripped down of all its parts. Everything that could be refurbished was and put back on truck..everything else that was too far gone was replaced with new. The truck was then rubbed down by hand and prepped for painting. It was sprayed with 4 coats of NATO satin green from Frank Burbery paint..had a few issues with the paint only because i didnt buy enough and couldnt get the same batch so had to spend ages remixing the paint to get a correct match..believe me they do differ..considerably!! It then took a couple of weeks to put it all back together again and managed to finish her the day before it was due on display on Plymouth Hoe as part of Armed Forces Day!! Talk about cutting it fine!! Now all i have to do is drive and enjoy her..and reminise..im ex 7 Sqn RCT!!

DSCN1703.jpg

DSCN1702.jpg

DSCN1704.jpg

DSCN1705.jpg

DSCN1706.jpg

Thats one fine job , I d be keeping that sealed underglass afraid of anything happening to it . Naugh its Ok you sweated and toiled over it and your reward is to take it out and enjoy all the miles and adventures you can have with it !

What a grand job, really impressed, why? Because we have the older MJ Bedford CALM. Your looks very nice.

I'm just a bit curious, as to why for shows you don't remove the civvy plates and show the original military registration?

I see you have a locker on the rear deck, is that all your fettling kit? Not afraid that someone will nick it?

Once again, grand job.

Robin

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your kind comments guys..much appreciated:) This was quite a straight forward and quick resto compared to some ive done in the past!

Robin..I will keep the civvi plates on at shows as it shows that its now in private hands and not just tipped up from a local army camp! The original Mil reg number is stamped on the vin plate and the data plate on the side of the bed.

The metal box strapped to the bed is an old army steamer trunk that i painted up..it only contained a couple of easy chairs and our packed lunches! It gets taken off when i park up and taken home.

Ill get some more pics up soon.

Andy.

PS..Andy..I was in B tp then in C tp 91 to 94.

Hi, After 5 months hard graft ive finally finished restoring my TM. Apologies for not keeping a running update on the progress but im a very busy person with work and doing the truck that its difficult to find the time!!

I stripped the cab down of all its panels, doors, lights, trim etc...interior came out and the rest of the truck body was stripped down of all its parts. Everything that could be refurbished was and put back on truck..everything else that was too far gone was replaced with new. The truck was then rubbed down by hand and prepped for painting. It was sprayed with 4 coats of NATO satin green from Frank Burbery paint..had a few issues with the paint only because i didnt buy enough and couldnt get the same batch so had to spend ages remixing the paint to get a correct match..believe me they do differ..considerably!! It then took a couple of weeks to put it all back together again and managed to finish her the day before it was due on display on Plymouth Hoe as part of Armed Forces Day!! Talk about cutting it fine!! Now all i have to do is drive and enjoy her..and reminise..im ex 7 Sqn RCT!!

Fantastic Job,i have a soft spot for TMs as i passed my class one in one in 1990.Whats the mot like on it,is it a full lgv test?

Thanks mate. The MOT is the same as any HGV and is done at the local VOSA testing station. It had a new test on it when i bought the truck and its due in October. Its plated as an HGV 16 Ton gross but is registered as a Private HGV so the tax is only £160 a year and the insurance is only £170 on a classic car policy. In other words I can't undertake any work for "hire or reward" but i can carry a load as long as its for me or a friend and no money changes hands. It was the price of tax and insurance, parts availabilitie and also there being no requirement for having a tacho or under run/side protection bars that swayed my decision to buy the truck..its a no brainer really!! I have a soft spot for them also as i used to drive them amongst others back in my RCT/RLC days.