Ferret B60 Fuel Pump

Toolman

Hello guys (n'gals)

My ferret strugged to get enough fuel on the hills on the way home tonight. Ive flushed the tank, cleaned the pipes, cleaned the filter and tap assembly, cleaned the banjo gauze and cleaned out the carb. I think is't time to look at the fuel pump.

Regarding availability, are nos/recon pumps available or would it be better to try and get a rebuild kit? I don't think it's leaking fuel into the engine oil.

Cheers

Matt

Hello guys (n'gals)

My ferret strugged to get enough fuel on the hills on the way home tonight. Ive flushed the tank, cleaned the pipes, cleaned the filter and tap assembly, cleaned the banjo gauze and cleaned out the carb. I think is't time to look at the fuel pump.

Regarding availability, are nos/recon pumps available or would it be better to try and get a rebuild kit? I don't think it's leaking fuel into the engine oil.

Cheers

Matt

Re build the pump rebuild kits are available from the usual sources plus complete pumps. It might be a good idea to buy a new pump and rebuild the original. No chance that it could be sucking air in somewhere?

http://www.ferret-fv701.co.uk/mnuls/david_pump.pdf

I've checked pretty much everything else. I'm going to check the points, ign system today.

I will ring RB to check availability of pump and rebuild kit. would be good to have a spare anyway.

Matt

So how were the points then Matt? They tend to close up as the heels wear. If you want any condensers testing, then send them with an SAE for proper testing on a megger.

With the timing just set it gradually for smoothest running, has to be empirical with the fuel we use nowadays!

So how were the points then Matt? They tend to close up as the heels wear. If you want any condensers testing, then send them with an SAE for proper testing on a megger.

With the timing just set it gradually for smoothest running, has to be empirical with the fuel we use nowadays!

Hello Clive

I have removed, cleaned and reset the points. They are pretty worn and one was pitted, does this indicate that the condenser might have failed? I'm going to order a set of points and a new condenser to start from scratch. Thank you for the offer of the condenser test, I will send you my old condenser for testing if you don't mind.

I have also changed the plugs for RSN12Y's. Would you gap these the same as the 13P's?

Cheers

Matt

They are pretty worn and one was pitted, does this indicate that the condenser might have failed?
Yes

I'm going to order a set of points and a new condenser to start from scratch. Thank you for the offer of the condenser test, I will send you my old condenser for testing if you don't mind.
Yes thats fine but I will be at W&P & there is a standing offer to anyone to bring their collection on condensers for testing (free there is no catch or attempt to sell anyone anything - but the majority of condensers I test have failed. Might "work" to a degree but are not performing as they should!) Do NOT buy a NOS one it will be not only expensive but will almost certainly be defective due to age. Fit a normal 0.2mfd condenser used in a Series 2 or 3 Land Rover. Different mounting but there is enough room. Of course it MUST be a distributor condenser as it has a maximum working of 500 volts, never use a low voltage condenser not designed for a distributor.

I have also changed the plugs for RSN12Y's. Would you gap these the same as the 13P's?
Yes you really ought to, you might get away with it but you have less HT in a screened system due to the capacitive effect of the screened cable. Although that effect is reduced to some degree by it being a 12v coil in a 24v system (ie reducing the time constant by loading the circuit with resistance to offset the inductance of the coil)

Might it be time for an electronic ignition system??

I would second that. It really is the way to go, I've done that to two B60s. Do it now & starting getting of peace of mind with one less thing to worry about. It is easy to remove if you ever change to another Ferret or upgrade to a Humber:-D

Although it is has significant outlay. You are buying reliability. What is the price of breaking down & not being able to fix the ignition problem at the roadside? It also will keep your plugs in good order.

Thanks Clive, for all the information. I can't make it to war and peace again unfortunately, I'm just in the wrong part of GB for all these big events! Maybe next year.

I've ordered the points, will now have a look for the LR condenser you mentioned. Thanks for checking but mine is the more common Lucas dizzy. I will now gap the new plugs a touch tighter while I wait for my points.

Paul, I will have a look into the electronic ignition option for a longer term. That might have to be a winter project.

Cheers Guys, I'll keep you posted.

Matt

Intermotor 33710

http://www.intermotor.co.uk/?p=smpeurope/catalogue&brand=intermotor&SESSID=inm3cp9em7evb5vkn30cces6c3&SESSID=ug880pfopg8qksgut3bj469i26

Replaces LR RTC3472 and RTC3525 and Lucas DCB101c

Lucas DCB101c on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lucas-Condenser-Land-Rover-Series-2-2a-3-1959-71-/390327835797?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5ae15a1c95

replaces:~ Land Rover RTC3472, RTC3525

Can't find the exact intermotor on ebay so I think I'll get the Lucas above.

MT

Additional, now found it cheaper by searching for the lucas P/N.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/lucas-DCB101C-JAGUAR-E-TYPE-MKII-240-XK150-/300573328677?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item45fb910525

Edited by Toolman
Part numbers!

Thanks Clive

I was just going to ask if this would be ok:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lucas-Condenser-Land-Rover-Series-2-2a-3-1959-71-/390327835797?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5ae15a1c95

I'll try and find the spec for both

Matt

Matt that would be fine. But if you send me that SAE, I'll test yours out of interest & I'm sure I have a new one here you can have & I'll test it first & put it in the bag!

Thanks Clive. I've bought it as I need to get my ferret running well for a show this weekend. I will send you my old one as I am interested to see if it's been causing an issue.

Cheers

Matt

Ok Matt, yes its nice to get a diagnosis & pin down any defective components.

If anyone wants to take any condensers to W&P I shall have my megger with me in the Shorland. If anyone wants screened HT cables tested for leakage I can test up to 50 gigohms at 2.5 kv

New Points, Lucas LR condenser and plugs fitted. It started immediately on first crank :-)

I'm going to check the junction box and filter tomorrow and attemp to set the timing by ear. It does run a little uneven at tickover.

Noticed that at least one of my drivebelts has started to perish. It's a fairly short run the Ponderosa on Sat so I'm going to chance it :-) (breakdown cover on standby)

Does anyone have a pair of matched B60 drive belts they would like to part with (for cash)

Cheers

Matt

Clive, I'll get this weekend over with and send a SAE with the condenser, thanks matt

Just an update. The ignition seems now to be all sorted, it fires up immmediately and runs well. However I still have some cutting out at higher speed and on hills. The timing is adjusted by ear and that seemed to be ok too. I've realised that if I keep the revs up and use a much lower gear then the ferret runs fine, So I reckon that the fuel pump is to blame afterall, it supplies enough fuel when the engine is at high revs (and hence the pump) as long as the load isn't too much. But at lower revs (2000-2500) under some load it cannot supply enough fuel and starts to splutter. I have a rebuild kit so thats the next job, in the meantime if I need to drive it I'll have to drive around in third at 3500 revs :-D

Clive I'll get those condersers packaged up and sent off to you at some point.

Cheers

Matt

Hi Matt,

I had the same problems on my Ferret and changed nearly everything. Short cut outs at the beginning just like the stop

of the heartbeat and big misfirings at the end. :nut:.

I had the same thoughts like you. Not enough fuel. But this was wrong.

The first thing i do, was changing the contact breakers. But i dont oil the spindle. And this was the point.

If the breakers do not run free they create such symtoms.

Two days fault searching let know me my ferret much better. And two drops of oil let it run like a sawing machine.

Hope that helps and you understand my schoolenglisch.

cheers

Tom