oil change

griff66

looking for thoughts on this from ferret owners how often do u change engine oil/filter and transfer box/ gearbox oils ?i know oils are 30 w for engine and gearbox and ep80-90 for transfer box just wondering about change intervals i do about 400 miles a year in ferret.

I run a Saracen, and it's fluid requirements are similar to a Ferrets'.

In 5 years, I've done just over 1500 miles, and so far have just topped up when required.

Transfer Box - once, and since then level, viscosity and appearance of oil has not changed.

Engine -as and when required.

I have just removed the engine in order to replace Fluid flywheel seals, and have drained the engine oil, it seems ok, looks like weak black coffee colour, and again viscosity seems same as new, but I will put fresh oil back in and use the old engine oil for my oil can, and random lubrication of garage stuff, and hatches etc...

I willl be replacing the gearbox oil, since even though the level never changed from the day I bought it, I suspect it's been filled with either auto transmission fluid or OM13, I've checked inside the box and it's still fresh and clean, almost as the day it was made, (1983).....

I would say, as long as you get it nice and warm when you use it, you could probably change it every 2000 miles. These engines were designed to use a little oil, anyway, so the constant check, top-up, should in theory almost rule out complete oil changes, save for the oxidisation that sometimes occurs in used motor oil left for long periods of non-use....:)