Urgent help/advice please.

airportable

Today serviced and started to check over for MOT later this week. L/Rover Ser.III Airportable FFR 1980

To my horror no headlights. Traced fault to the Infra red switch. All other lights OK. Flick switch to infra red, head lights OK, but dont think will pass with no rear or brake lights!

Dont think I can get a switch in time. Question, does any one know if another problem will appear if I connect the( blue ) feed to the flash/dip switch from the I/R switch to the (blue/black) feed from the 6-way light switch to the I/R switch, thus 'shorting' out the I/R function. Tried for a few min. seemed to be no prob. as head lights worked fine. Dont want to burn out the relay.

Thanks.

Take the IR switch circuit staright out of circuit! Well known problem with the things. The other classic I've seen is an MOT inspector screaming about all the ligfhts not working, only to find he turned the 6 way switch the wrong way. Just leave switch in place to fill hole.

As others have said, burning of the contacts of the IR switch was an established problem. To address this there was an EMER issued in March 1982 to introduce a relay to cope with the high current switching.

It also included an instruction for removing the switch altogether if the IR facility was not needed. It was to be done in such a way that it would be straight forward to install a relay & a new switch if operational requirements dictated the use of IR in the future.

Paul selecting the IR to ON means it kills all other lighting circuits except to the headlights which will have been fitted with IR filters.

As others have said, burning of the contacts of the IR switch was an established problem. To address this there was an EMER issued in March 1982 to introduce a relay to cope with the high current switching.

It also included an instruction for removing the switch altogether if the IR facility was not needed. It was to be done in such a way that it would be straight forward to install a relay & a new switch if operational requirements dictated the use of IR in the future.

Paul selecting the IR to ON means it kills all other lighting circuits except to the headlights which will have been fitted with IR filters.

Thank you Clive, that bit I didn't know.

Thanks for the input folks. Must admit I'm a bit of a stickler for keeping origional and everything working. But for the MOT will cut out I/R switch and replace when I get a goodun.

Yep, now need two sets of the I/R lenses,

Oh, just cleaned up the oil drips from underneath for the MOT, AND the head lights now work!!! :rofl:

The washers at the rear of the switch for Lucar terminal blade staking - they seem to be tin coated steel , believe me this is the main problem (much more so than burnt out internals) , test across for high resistance , give the washer a light tap with a terminal driver & toffee hammer to shatter the dissimilar metal corrosion. This gets most of them away again for several years..

http://www.land-rover-lightweight.co.uk/Infrared.html

The washers at the rear of the switch for Lucar terminal blade staking - they seem to be tin coated steel , believe me this is the main problem (much more so than burnt out internals) , test across for high resistance , give the washer a light tap with a terminal driver & toffee hammer to shatter the dissimilar metal corrosion. This gets most of them away again for several years..

Thanks for that will give it a go t'moz. My local dealer has put two on one side for me. One good used and one new. Well I have two Airportables now, my project has it's missing.

• 2 weeks later...