Humber Heavy Utility

AmphibAndy

I have just purchased a Humber Heavy Utiltity for restoration, and I mean restoration! Does anyone have any body parts or know of any drawings that may have been done? All of the wood will need rebuilding and most of the front bulkhead. Am also after some 9.00x16 British Track Grips for the old girl. In fact anything could be of interest

DSC06353.jpg

DSC06355.jpg

I have just purchased a Humber Heavy Utiltity for restoration, and I mean restoration! Does anyone have any body parts or know of any drawings that may have been done? All of the wood will need rebuilding and most of the front bulkhead. Am also after some 9.00x16 British Track Grips for the old girl. In fact anything could be of interest

Hi Andrew,

That will keep you busy for a few months ! I know it is a while off, but I had some of the spring seats made for the Snipe staff car and can recommend the company, just save the remains so they have a pattern to work to.

regards, Richard

thanks Guys. Very helpful comments and encouragments. To be honest we have been tracking this Box for over 20 years and when I saw it back then it was all complete and inside a shed. Sadly the old chap who had it, moved house and slightly lost the plot. He has owned it for years and was reluctant to let it go, but now he finally decided he has let it deteriorate to such an extent the work now required is immense. The problem is that to do the job correctly one would rebuild the body on the chassis but since so little of the body is still standing and the mounting brackets are pretty rough I feel really we need to remove everything off the chassis , restore that and the bulkhead and then start again. I am currently having a difference of opinion with the master of works, my father who favours rebuilding it on the chassis and then take it off the chassis when done to restore that. That would be feasible if the bulkhead was good, but its not! Ah well, I am sure we will work it out. Once thing that is good is the chassis and all the suspension and running gear so we could get that all done and then we would feel we were making headway. I will talk with Clive and see what his thoughts are. thx once again and as we progress I will post some more photos. Normandy 2014???

thanks once again for the words of encouragement. It will most definitely be the hardest restoration we have undertaken if we are sucessful with it. It doable I know, and there are one or two of these around I can use for patterns. Its just knowing where to start and once its underway I am sure we will feel better. I will try to post photos as we take them and keep the thread going. thx

DSC06394.jpg

The expensive bit will be the wood work. I know the cost of Ash to repair the WS10 trailer was prohibitive. We ended up using a modern treated soft wood, and due to friends at Dennis, glue to seal and attach the metal sheets. There are some usful products used on wooden boats that will stabilize rotten wood. Reasonably easy to use , you drill a small hole and inject a resin like material. It is hydroscopic so is drawn along the damp displacing the water.

A friend here in Melbourne Australia, is restoring one .. A UK immigrant brought it out with him in the late 1950's .

I can provide details if required . It has a british army rebuild plate from the 1950's on it

MIKE

Its time for a stupid question. The vehicle is about 260 miles from me right now so I cannot pop along to take a look , but the back of the geabox or transfer box has a shaft with a drive output showing above the main propshaft for the rear. Anyone know what it is? It also has full screened igntion as per the Armoured Cars?

Yes mate, very simple. The cars were used as radio vehicles. The box would have driven a generator similar to the ones fited to QL's. It maaay be, but if proven would be only the second one known to exist, a Y Service interceptor vehicle.